Default PC Restarting Randomly After ~20min. Graphics Card or Power Supply Issue?

Hey helpers!

My 5 year old PC is restarting randomly all of a sudden. No blue screen of death. It will work as normal for about 20min and then will restart and enter a restart loop without getting to the login screen. To stop this I have to shut it off and manually turn it back on. Bought from CyberPowerPC about 5 years ago and have not upgraded any components. The graphics card fan has been getting noisy for a while, even after cleaning. I'm worried that its the culprit since I don't hear the fan any more. The only problems I had prior to that were the monitor flickering on and off which has stopped, but not due to anything I did to fix it (not sure if this is related to my current problem). I've used Speccy to check my temps and everything is under the "normal" temperatures according to that program. Here are my specs:

Operating System
    Windows 10 Home 64-bit
    CPU
    Intel Core i7 3770 @ 3.40GHz
    Ivy Bridge 22nm Technology
    RAM
    8.00GB Dual-Channel DDR3 @ 665MHz (9-9-9-24)
    Motherboard
    Gigabyte Technology Co. Ltd. B75M-D3H (Intel Core i7-3770 CPU @ 3.40GHz)
    Graphics
    DELL E207WFP (1680x1050@60Hz)
    2047MB NVIDIA GeForce GTX 650 Ti (EVGA)
    Storage
    1863GB Seagate ST2000DM001-1CH164 (SATA)
    59GB SanDisk SDSSDP064G (SSD)
    Optical Drives
    DTSOFT Virtual CdRom Device
    TSSTcorp CDDVDW SH-224BB
    Audio
    Realtek High Definition Audio

Any ideas/help appreciated

KJ

Default Re: PC Restarting Randomly After ~20min. Graphics Card or Power Supply Issue?

Could be something overheating or the psu failing. Try removing the graphics card and just using onboard for a while to eliminate the graphics card as the culprit. The only thing you can't do well with the onboard is play 3D games so depending on your usage you may not even need the graphics card.

A noisy fan that suddenly goes quiet sounds suspiciously like a fan that has stopped working, take the side off and run the pc so you can see whats happening, if it's hard to tell shine a torch at it. Make sure the GPU fan is spinning.
    i7 6700K, 16Gb DDR4RAM, 512GB M.2 SSD, Gigabyte GTX980

Default Re: PC Restarting Randomly After ~20min. Graphics Card or Power Supply Issue?

Quote Originally Posted by KJAnderson View Post
    It will work as normal for about 20min and then will restart and enter a restart loop without getting to the login screen.

KJ
    Disable the restart.

Open Control Panel.

Click on the System and Security link.

Note: If you're viewing the Small icons or Large icons view of Control Panel, you won't see this link.

Click on the System link.

In the task pane on the left, click the Advanced system settings link.

Locate the Startup and Recovery section near the bottom of the window and click on the Settings button.

In the Startup and Recovery window, locate and uncheck the check box next to Automatically restart.

Click OK in the Startup and Recovery window.

Click OK in the System Properties window.

You can now close the System window.
    wipe your paws.

It will work as normal for about 20min and then will restart and enter a restart loop without getting to the login screen.

KJ
    Disable the restart.

Open Control Panel.

Click on the System and Security link.

Note: If you're viewing the Small icons or Large icons view of Control Panel, you won't see this link.

Click on the System link.

In the task pane on the left, click the Advanced system settings link.

Locate the Startup and Recovery section near the bottom of the window and click on the Settings button.

In the Startup and Recovery window, locate and uncheck the check box next to Automatically restart.

Click OK in the Startup and Recovery window.

Click OK in the System Properties window.

You can now close the System window.

Now it should give you a BSOD error. That will help in diagnosing what the issue is.
    wipe your paws.

Ok, so I have eliminated the GPU as the culprit after removing it and still having restart issues. Today I disabled automatic restart upon system failure and awaiting a BSOD error. Here's hoping it's a simple power supply swap.

Thanks for the idea. I have disabled automatic restart using your instructions, but I checked on it after being on for about 2 hours and it restarted itself. The screen had the windows icon on it and said "Preparing Automatic Repair" on the same screen. I did not see a BSOD error pop up. Should I look somewhere specific for that?

Look in event viewer under system. If there are any event ID 41 (63) errors, this can mean a faulty PSU. If you didnt turn it on off from the front

I did get a event ID 41 (63) on multiple occasions that seem to line up when it is restarting. Is the best solution to install a new PSU? If so, any suggestions on brand, etc.?

I did get a event ID 41 (63) on multiple occasions . Is the best solution to install a new PSU? I
    That just means the PC was restarted unexpectedly.
    The best solution is to work out what the problem is first. Not randomly swapping parts from guesses. You may need a tech
    wipe your paws.

It's almost certainly the PSU failing. I had very similar behaviour with my old system a few years ago. It seemed to play up most when starting up in the morning after a cold night ... it would go into a loop of re-starting continually for a few minutes, never getting so far as entering the OS until the PSU warmed up enough and then it was OK (until the next day, that is!). A new PSU fixed the problem.

Is the best solution to install a new PSU? If so, any suggestions on brand, etc.?
    I replaced the PSU with an Enermax brand which worked well until my old TVcard died a couple of years later and took the PSU with it. Then I replaced it with a Corsair PSU which cost twice as much and is still working well today in my new system.
    "Oh Ubuntu, you are my favorite Linux-based operating system!" - Sheldon Cooper, The Big Bang Theory.