Question Time to upgrade the Wifi setup at home

Hi everyone, its been quite some time since i posted here, but I have a problem which I want to solve.

This past week or so, the wifi connection on my desktop (which is on the 2nd floor of our house/oppposite side to where the router is downstairs) has been dropping connection randomly, then reconnecting a short while later.

The wifi adapter in my desktop is the TP-Link TL-WN751ND wifi adapter (has one antenna attached), and the router/modem we have is the one supplied by Spark.

We have an unlimted fibre connection at home, so its a little frustrating when playing CS:GO or BF1 to disconnect from the game.

I have been looking at upgrading the internal wifi adapter in my desktop to this https://www.pbtech.co.nz/product/NET...y&ref=pricespy

And at the same time, its probably a good idea to upgrade the router too, what are some suggestions as to what we could go with??

Budget is fairly loose, but if its not too expensive, that's great.

Once again, hello to you all
    Speed has never killed anyone, suddenly becoming stationary... That's what gets you.

JOIN THE FREE FORUMS!!!!!!

Default Re: Time to upgrade the Wifi setup at home

You would only be patching a broken system doing what you have outlined. WiFi is, at best, dodgy and getting dodgier with more and more competing/interfering signals.

The best way to get to use your UFB is to get an ethernet cable to your PC.

The second best is to use a pair of powerline adaptors to get ethernet to the PC. See here https://www.pbtech.co.nz/category/ne...ine-networking

Some experienced installers, here, like the TP-Link ones.

Quote Originally Posted by linw View Post
    The best way to get to use your UFB is to get an ethernet cable to your PC.

The second best is to use a pair of powerline adaptors to get ethernet to the PC. See here https://www.pbtech.co.nz/category/ne...ine-networking

Some experienced installers, here, like the TP-Link ones.
    Yep, Power line adaptors are easy to setup.

Got a customer who plays on their playstation in his lounge, but with the wireless which is in another room was dropping out all the time and lots of lag.

Put in a couple of these : TP-Link-PowerLine-TL-PA4010PKIT-500Mbps-Starter-Kit Didn't want wireless so I got the ones with Pass-through since the adaptor would cover both power outlets and then Multbox could be plugged into the adapter ( fed the TV, Play station etc) When he fired up the games again it was WOW !!

He said With Wireless, the playstation was taking several minutes to load, with these Adaptors it was almost instant, no lag.
    Last edited by wainuitech; 28-01-2017 at 03:24 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by wainuitech View Post
    Yep, Power line adaptors are easy to setup.

Got a customer who plays on their playstation in his lounge, but with the wireless which is in another room was dropping out all the time and lots of lag.

Put in a couple of these : TP-Link-PowerLine-TL-PA4010PKIT-500Mbps-Starter-Kit Didn't want wireless so I got the ones with Pass-through since the adaptor would cover both power outlets and then Multbox could be plugged into the adapter ( fed the TV, Play station etc) When he fired up the games again it was WOW !!

He said With Wireless, the playstation was taking several minutes to load, with these Adaptors it was almost instant, no lag.
    So with the one you've linked to, I'd then just run an Ethernet cable to my PC and I'd be all good??
    Speed has never killed anyone, suddenly becoming stationary... That's what gets you.

Quote Originally Posted by GameJunkie View Post
    So with the one you've linked to, I'd then just run an Ethernet cable to my PC and I'd be all good??
    Yep, if you got the ones with pass-through, you plug the adapter into the wall socket - Then plug in the router or multibox into the socket in the adapter. Run a cable from the Router to the Adapter (they come with short cables about 1 Mtr long).

At the other end /Room, do the same - plug the adapter into the wall, multuibox into the Adapter, then run a Ethernet cable from the adapter to the computer ( they will synce to one another) - wait a few moments, you'll see the lights syncing, away you go.

The Ethernet signal is then being sent through the wiring in the house.

oh cool, I think i've got some spare ethernet cable to use on my end, so this sounds like plan.

Thanks WT.

I have missed these forums a bit.

Some people claim to have problems, but personally never struck any and I've put in quite a few, and some places have real odd ball wiring.

What has to be right, any power outlets must be on the same circuit board, meaning if all the power points lead back to the main circuit board that's fine (most homes will) , if for example you had an outside flat (say a granny flat) which has its own circuit / Power then it wont work between them.

You can also add a few if you have different locations that need the feed, from memory you can have a total of 5 ( or could be 6) Most I've set up is 4 in the one house.
    Last edited by wainuitech; 28-01-2017 at 09:58 PM.

+1 for powerline adaptors. Rock solid streaming from room to room where wireless was very intermittent. I use the TP-Link adaptors WT referenced - plug and play as it should be. Yes, the passthrough version is needed for NZ outlets.