Smiling Down On Youse SurferJoe46's Avatar

Wink Got A New Raspberry Pi

.... and thinking about turning it into a neat WiFi receiver and stream-player for my workshop.

The shop is well within range of my router as I can already run my tablets out there. I just think that using my tablet for yeoman';s duty like that is wasteful and that a Pi would be better.

I think I need a WiFi dongle - like my Alpha unit - am I right about this?

I'd like to put a small screen on it - I know they exist but am at a loss as to what to look for. Is a PiFace what it is? I don't want to run the HDMI unless the PiFace is an overlay.

Information is somewhat sketchy and some people don't seem to want to take a n00b through the process.

I also know that the sound output is not up to decent snuff and that I need some sort of D2A converter too for that to be solved.

I'd like to run Pandora in my shop as I now do.

I have a 300 Watt 4.1 system in the garage, that unfortunately isn't WiFi able and using the Headphone OUT on my tablet to the Audio In on the system is really nice and rich and powerful --- so that's covered I think.

Can anyone help me here some to tell me what I'm up against?

I followed instructions at http://raspberrypi.org/downloads and installed the .zip file of NOOBS onto a 32 G SD Micro and stuck it into the slot.

I haven't fired it up yet, although I have the 2Amp/5VDC power supply all ready when it's ready.
    Last edited by SurferJoe46; 25-01-2017 at 07:31 PM.

Warum werden wir so früh alt und klug so spät?

Default Re: Got A New Raspberry Pi

There's a number of elements here.

I can't help you with the screen. I attempted one, but could never get it to work.

Regarding music. Get a cheap USB dac, that'll work. I had a raspberry Pi with a distro called volumio which is designed as a streamer. Uses a web site to control it and played internet streams, off a nas and Spotify. It's based on a player called mpd which you can run in any distro.
    Interests: PVRs, HTPCs, Apple IOS, Apple TV, Media Players, C#, Printing

Quote Originally Posted by psycik View Post
    There's a number of elements here.

I can't help you with the screen. I attempted one, but could never get it to work.

Regarding music. Get a cheap USB dac, that'll work. I had a raspberry Pi with a distro called volumio which is designed as a streamer. Uses a web site to control it and played internet streams, off a nas and Spotify. It's based on a player called mpd which you can run in any distro.
    Good to know.

I'm the guy who has had such rotten results with Linux distros in the past that I've repeatedly lost all my MP3 files and had to rebuild that data too many times to count.

Nowadays I keep all my music and videos on external, striped/mirrored hdds with a dedicated logical contoller.

My greatest claim at the moment is actually making L-Puppy run as I want --- although to be honest I cannot resolve the audio rendering with it, so it just surfs the net and creates files that M$ cannot access, let alone read or recognize. For me...... well, that makes me inwardly happy.

I'm also eclectic enough to still run XP-P so I can still use my (read: "antique" here) Soundblaster card. Don't yell at me.

For this next windmill assault by me, I'm going to do things by the (nonexistent) book on Things-Pi.

TO INFINITY AND BEYOND!

Ok, so look at volumio.org its a pretty install

I'll do that as soon as I get out of physical therapy. I'm on a recumbent bicycle right now.

Next question:

I believe that there is no resident memory in the Pi except on the MicroSD card. Right?

Does this allow me to load a Linux based distro on one card and, say ---> Windows 10 IoT on another and be able to swap them back and fourth as I feel necessary?

No internal storage you mean. And yes you're correct. The os is on the sd card so it is as sinple as that.

Quote Originally Posted by SurferJoe46 View Post
    Next question:

I believe that there is no resident memory in the Pi except on the MicroSD card. Right?

Does this allow me to load a Linux based distro on one card and, say ---> Windows 10 IoT on another and be able to swap them back and fourth (sic *) as I feel necessary?
    * FORTH, not fourth. Sorry as that was the Spellchunker in my Android Tablet.