Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Spark modem failure

On moving to fiber 15 months ago I was supplied with a new modem. It has crashed and the replacement is to cost me $99.50. (Would have been $200 but because I am a longstanding customer..etc etc.). I am thinking about opposing this quoting the Consumer Quarantee Act, the warranty was only for 12 months, but think I may be "pushing it uphill." Is 15 months a reasonable lifetime for this type of gear, considering I was obliged to take a 2 year term out.

Default Re: Spark modem failure

I would be upset if I had to buy a new modem every 15 months. I would expect them to last upwards of 3 years or more. I have only had to replace one modem since connecting to broadband many years ago. Ring them up and go for it.

I would have thought the Consumer Guarantees Act would apply, modems dont go faulty that quickly.
    I would ask to speak to a Supervisor, also get them to send you an email setting out what they expect you to pay in case you have to take it further

My 15-month old ADSL Spark HG531s V1 modem died on Tuesday. After being on-line tested by Spark I was offered a replacement @ half price too, $49.50. for the ADSL modem.
    Took the old one into the local Spark and was sold the new replacement modem. How long should a modem be expected to last for?
    P.

Modems can fail at any time, could be a week or Years. But that a side, ring them back and point them to their own Web Site, 24 Month Replacement Warranty - (last entry /bullet point under Tech Details)

https://www.spark.co.nz/shop/interne.../spark-hg659b/

Edited:
    Same for the Spark HG531s - 24 Month Replacement Warranty

https://www.spark.co.nz/help/interne.../spark-hg531s/
    Last edited by wainuitech; 06-01-2017 at 12:43 PM.

Never have to pay for Spark Modems. They always give it FREE..

Just have to phone and talk to them nicely and a brand new one will be at your door steps 2~3 working days. Yup, that easy.

I even get FREE spare one every year when my contract expires. All I have to do is pick up the phone and talk to them, although I am not a Philipino.
    Last edited by bk T; 06-01-2017 at 02:11 PM.

Thanks Wainui, you are a star, again.
    I phoned Spark and they told me my (old) modem only came with a 12-month warrantee. I explained the website stated 24-month. "Oh that is for ones that are sold now". I reminded her that I have been with Spark "for ever" (long before Spark was dreamed of).
    After 'consultation' with a supervisor, it was agreed I would be credited the $49.50 for my account.
    Thank you Wainui and Press F1. Happy New Year to everyone.
    P.

Good you got a refund peter

Had that excuse a couple of times when talking to Spark on a customers behalf (some people feel intimidated talking to help desks) . Was kind of funny when they used the similar wording, That was the previous version, but when asking ( politely) so whats the difference between model <insert Model > and the same model now ?

Usually followed by um- um -ummmmm one moment I Need to consult my supervisor ---- and the rest as per others own experiences, as mentioned

Where is Metla these days Chilling_Silence's Avatar

For what it's worth, those routers only cost Spark around $14 a pop, so don't feel bad pushing them under the CGA to get it free.
    I mostly do Bitcoin & DigiByte things these days, feel free to say hi on Twitter: https://twitter.com/dgb_chilling

Before you ask a question here, or before you get upset by a response, see here:
    http://www.catb.org/~esr/faqs/smart-...ons.html#intro

Same with Vodafone - I've never paid for one yet, and I've had quite a few over the years

You just need to be a bit "firm" as well as nice when you talk to them