Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Where is Metla these days Chilling_Silence's Avatar

Default Re: I don't want to brag or anything....

The ER-X is sufficient, if you're on more of a budget, little point in getting the ER-Lite as the ER-X can happily do gig down and ~800mbps up through NAT, concurrently, which is faster than the 500mbps of the plan. I have the ER-X myself.

I'm shocked too that the Huawei is handling that, never got that sort of performance when I last used the HG659b!

What about other speeds through Spark, to say Telstra in Sydney AU or Monkey Brains in California?
    I mostly do Bitcoin & DigiByte things these days, feel free to say hi on Twitter: https://twitter.com/dgb_chilling

Before you ask a question here, or before you get upset by a response, see here:
    http://www.catb.org/~esr/faqs/smart-...ons.html#intro

Quote Originally Posted by bk T View Post
    Upload isn't impressive, though.
    I dunno about that, - - if you could swamp it in upload by typing I'd say that was impressive
    Entropy is not what
    it used to be.

I might have to give them a call - I'm not getting consistent results.

Sometimes I'm down to 300 down (locally), which is still good, but not what I'm paying for....

This is the Telstra result:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	5931555689[1].png 
Views:	35 
Size:	31.2 KB 
ID:	7793
    Last edited by johcar; 03-01-2017 at 08:50 AM.

It is impossible to defeat an ignorant man in argument. -William G. McAdoo, lawyer and politician (1863-1941)

Quote Originally Posted by johcar View Post

Sometimes I'm down to 300 down (locally), which is still good, but not what I'm paying for....

Same here. When testing the speed tests, FFox seems to be very inconsistent but ie and waterfox handle pretty well. Don't know about Chrome, I don't use Chrome.

Spark server is the worst and 2 degrees turns out to be the best - pretty consistent.

The browser, unless you're on a REALLY old PC, is likely not the issue. Still, to rule that out, I downloaded python and the speedtest-cli
    I mostly do Bitcoin & DigiByte things these days, feel free to say hi on Twitter: https://twitter.com/dgb_chilling

Before you ask a question here, or before you get upset by a response, see here:

Quote Originally Posted by johcar View Post

You should know ( being an IT consultant) that you NEVER will get consistent Speed. No Way will any ISP Guarantee that. It all depends on outside factors out of their control, as well as where your download is coming from or where you are testing. You posted to Sydney -- What about locally ( NZ). ?

I downloaded a Linux Distro the other week, from Aussie was slow as a wet week, said 5 minutes , gave up after the speed dropped to almost zero. Found a NZ site and had it through in less than a minute.
    Update / Upgrades = Replace old bugs with new ones.

Quote Originally Posted by wainuitech View Post
    You should know ( being an IT consultant) that you NEVER will get consistent Speed. No Way will any ISP Guarantee that. It all depends on outside factors out of their control, as well as where your download is coming from or where you are testing. You posted to Sydney -- What about locally ( NZ). ?
    Sort of, it's not quite that simple. If your ISP and their international provider have enough bandwidth to AU, although not *every* place will give you flawless gigabit connections, most speedtest places ought to be giving you more.
    Otherwise, basically you're presuming that your ISP has at most 300mbps up their sleeve for the remainder of all their customers? If you're with Spark, that's not a lot, given their customer numbers :-/

Quote Originally Posted by Chilling_Silence View Post
    Sort of, it's not quite that simple. If your ISP and their international provider have enough bandwidth to AU, although not *every* place will give you flawless gigabit connections, most speedtest places ought to be giving you more.
    Otherwise, basically you're presuming that your ISP has at most 300mbps up their sleeve for the remainder of all their customers? If you're with Spark, that's not a lot, given their customer numbers :-/
    In theory that's right, but in the real world it not going to work.

If you had a direct connection from point A-B then you can get a true speed. BUT Doesn't matter how the internet is delivered its not the case, There are several jumps between getting from A-B. Have a slowness (in simple terms) at ANY point and you'll get a reduction. Its basic's of how the internet works.

Had that demonstrated some time ago by Telstra. The speed test to ( Then) Telstra's server via Speed test was utter crap, the guy put in some address which was a direct link and the results were totally different, got 100% speed the cable was capable of ( not my plan speed, but the cable speed).

Heres an example, doing a speed test to Vodafone Wellington, topped out my download speed, doing the same test to Sydney , Oh finally got out the starting block, and ended up with about 1/4 max.

Did a Tracert -- Wellington, 4 hops. Then to Sydney, 12 hops along the way. Guess there's a bottleneck someplace

Yes but again that depends on your ISP and what they negotiate with their upstream providers, how the traffic is routed etc
    You see, I can easily get well over 500mbps to Sydney, even during peak times, on our primary transit. However on our secondary, it's usually only around 250mbps, due to the amount of bandwidth we purchase etc

It's all about oversubscription of a connection, as an end-user you'll never get 100% CIR the entire time, not for ~$150 a month, and not at gigabit speeds.

What you're talking about with "direct link" vs "speedtest.net" is two different things. They'll likely have two different servers for that, different routes etc and you testing "within" your ISP is a completely different kettle of fish. However, it confirms your connection back to your ISP is X speed, but from there on out it's how well your ISP peers with others and routes their traffic that matters and that affects the speeds / latency that you see. It doesn't mean you have to throw your hands in the air and say "It'll never be that good", that's not true, and was a common lie fed to people back in the days of good old ADSL as a way of justifying massive oversubscription.
    Times have changed...

Getting full speed is fine all the time in theory, but you also know very well, its not going to happen. To many outside factors.

Speedtests are OK for testing or bragging rights, but big deal.

I went to a guys place late last year meant to be on Sparks top Fibre plan, the speed was disgusting. I had to run some commands on his PC that required a certain Version of W10, which I had left behind, he said lets just download the ISO - Fine in theory, but his speed was so slow I came back home went back to his place with the DVD, and his download wasn't even 1/2 of the way through. It was only a 3.6GB ISO, took me 15 minutes to do the round trip.

Only being 3.6GB should have been through lightning fast.

Since then he's had the guys round after complaining, and every time they have done tests everything is working as it should (at the time).
    Last edited by wainuitech; 05-01-2017 at 10:31 AM.