Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Listening devices.

http://pilotonline.com/inside-busine...7f00d9ee0.html

I note a couple of people have mentioned having the Google ones - presumably you're OK with the implications.
    I can see this becoming more problematic though, as it expands into more and more embedded devices with much less expertise or interest in security/privacy (recent rise of IoT botnets etc.)

The crim's, as well as .gov, will be wetting their pants with delight at the thought of self-tapping "targets".
    Lay me down the long white line
    Leave the sirens far behind me
    Paint my name in black and gold
    My heart my flame my heart my road

Default Re: Listening devices.

We really don't care if some device listens to what we say. We don't say anything that anyone else would find the slightest bit interesting. I'm certain that's the case with most of us.

I used to work in Telecom's fault service and we would frequently cross someone's line when they were talking. It would have been very easy to listen to what they were talking about but we were just not interested. There was a flashing light that told us the line was busy and we relied on that to tell us when they had stopped talking. Can't understand why anyone would want to listen to someone else's conversation. We just did not find it appealing.
    It is better to wear out than to rust out.
    - Richard Chamberlain, Tour of the Hebrides

Us husbands are a sorry lot.

Quote Originally Posted by Roscoe View Post

I used to work in Telecom's fault service and we would frequently cross someone's line when they were talking. It would have been very easy to listen to what they were talking about but we were just not interested..
    Mmm. And in the exchange they would too, one day X came across 2 people having an argument. In the days of Step-By-Step(?) when they had those bits of metal that went up and down.
    So he flicked it, knocked them off.

One rang back, what did you hang up on me for? Blah, blah...flicked them off again.

Did that a couple of times.
    who knows if it ended up resulting in war....
    wipe your paws.

Cripes, you lot are bringing back memory’s.

In the days of the “Manual Telephone Exchanges” all the towns gossip was courtesy of the Operators.

And Roscoe, as a Junior Mechanician’s we had to do work experience on the Test Desk and we were never bored. The local Brothel was was an interesting monitor and there were a couple of Chinese Businessmen who hated each others guts, so we’d connect their phones together and give them a “buzz”. The conversation was hilarious, “Why you ring me”, “I didn’t ring you, you rang me”, “I did not”, “Yes you did”, and on it went with them both talking at the same time, eventually in their native tongue. Eventually, one would hang-up followed by the other, so we’d give them time to settle down and give them a buzz again and then it was all on again.

Then as I moved on to the “Carrier Room” there were a couple of “Bookie’s” that used to ring each other at Midnight Friday. Their conversation was interesting, as not only did they discuss who was likely to Win a Race, but who was being “pulled” for a later assignment.

Yep, Privacy has always been a problem, it’s just that it’s bigger today.

And pctek, don’t you worry about the old “Step by Step” (even the pre 2000), it was light years ahead of the Rotary where the earth shook when someone wanted to make a call and all the “Line-finders” went looking for a junction that wasn’t available.

Ah yes, them were the days.
    Global Warming is Mann made.
    The problems we face today are because the people who work for a living are now outnumbered by those who vote for a living.

I take no responsibility for the accuracy of any media links I quote.

Apple free in Appleby KarameaDave's Avatar

Spying, vile misuse of private conversations and no meaningful security.

Yee Harr, welcome to the Internet of ****.

Yes you are , very welcome to it.

I'll give it a miss, as I have up to now zero confidence in OEMs abilities to secure all these embedded wifi freaking hairbrushes, toasters and other such pieces of stupidity as a product.
    FTW

This takes me back to 1949, when as a junior clerk having to answer the incoming calls on three phone lines. The three levers with celluloid eye covers, you could check to see if the person asked for was on another line. It was all honesty back then, today its all dishonesty.

lurking.

Quote Originally Posted by B.M. View Post

And pctek, don’t you worry about the old “Step by Step” (even the pre 2000), it was light years ahead of the Rotary where the earth shook when someone wanted to make a call and all the “Line-finders” went looking for a junction that wasn’t available.
    Well yes....husband installed all this ancient stuff, from 1963 all the way up to the first NEAXs. Then quit.
    As for talking to the appliances, can't say I particularly want to.
    Malware securing your fridges etc....sigh...

And just more things to go wrong.
    wipe your paws.

...(duplicate)
    wipe your paws.

I worked in the new step exchange in Courtney Place in Wellington in the 60s as a trainee tech. We could always tell when some kids were trying to "tap" numbers from a telephone box. We'd either just flick them off from the equipment or if they were too persistent we'd get onto the line and tell them it was the police here. That'd get them running! Was quite funny sometimes because the phone box they were using was right outside and we'd watch them out the window.

As for actually listening in to conversations, that was a definite no no.....

LL
    _____Nothing is hidden that cannot be revealed______

VoidMaster

Privacy advocate Sir Bruce Slane dies

http://home.nzcity.co.nz/news/article.aspx?id=240399

Note the sentence: "He worked hard to make New Zealanders aware that they have a right to privacy, that privacy is an important right and that it will be protected."
    It's not the least charm of a theory that it is refutable. The hundred-times-refuted theory of "free will" owes its persistence to this charm alone; some one is always appearing who feels himself strong enough to refute it - Friedrich Nietzsche