Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Where is Metla these days Chilling_Silence's Avatar

Default Re: VDSL or ADSL on unlimited plan

Quote Originally Posted by wratterus View Post
    Otherwise anyone but Vodafone or MyRepublic.
    Or TrustPower, also one to avoid like the plague...
    I mostly do Bitcoin & DigiByte things these days, feel free to say hi on Twitter: https://twitter.com/dgb_chilling

Before you ask a question here, or before you get upset by a response, see here:
    http://www.catb.org/~esr/faqs/smart-...ons.html#intro

+1 for VDSL. VDSL is 2-3 times faster downstream on average compared to ADSL2+ and 10 times faster upstream. If you are <1km from the cabinet or exchange and have a good line it's so good it outperforms some of the cheaper fibre offerings that have been around. I was getting 40/10 on VDSL before switching to 100/20 fibre, mainly because I wanted to and it's actually slightly cheaper. If fibre is an option I'd consider it personally. It's the way the network is headed and why not get a free install while they are available, might not always be the case.

As for modems, I was fully prepared to replace mine when I went fibre but haven't needed to. It's the HG659b and surprisingly so far has given me several months of trouble free internet. I also have a better TPlink like speedy but it won't do Vlan tagging on the WAN port so it doesn't work. Plan A if the freebie plays up on me is to see if spark will disable the Vlan tagging, plan B is just to buy a better one.

The only mild issue I've encountered so far is one device at the other end of the house that occasionally has to disconnect/reconnect to the wireless before getting internet access, been meaning to try a different adapter but it's s little hassle I haven't gotten around to it.
    Ryzen 2700X, 16Gb DDR4RAM, 512GB M.2 NVME SSD, MSI GTX1070

Old guy

Quote Originally Posted by Chilling_Silence View Post
    No they're junk regardless. If you're a single user with just a laptop and a cellphone, you might not push it terribly hard, but they fall over so often... It's really not even funny.
    Just as one can be unlucky and get a faulty unit in a group of normally satisfactory pieces of equipment I guess that the reverse is also true. Maybe Zippity is the lucky exception that proves the rule

Quote Originally Posted by CliveM View Post
    Just as one can be unlucky and get a faulty unit in a group of normally satisfactory pieces of equipment I guess that the reverse is also true. Maybe Zippity is the lucky exception that proves the rule
    It's not that they have hardware faults, its shoddy firmware and sub-par WiFi performance. They all have it. He'll just be a "light" user, and won't notice the issues manifesting itself. They're renowned for having issues with them crashing and requiring a restart, and it's across the board, not limited to "faulty" units, they're *all* faulty.
    I mostly do Bitcoin & DigiByte things these days, feel free to say hi on Twitter: https://twitter.com/dgb_chilling

Before you ask a question here, or before you get upset by a response, see here:

No they're junk regardless. If you're a single user with just a laptop and a cellphone, you might not push it terribly hard, but they fall over so often... It's really not even funny.
    So can you recommend a decent VDSL router that doesn't break the bank??
    Regards,

Paul W
    Taco Bell is not a Mexican telephone company

Old guy

Quote Originally Posted by paulw View Post
    Follow the link to Chill's blog at the bottom of his post.

Quote Originally Posted by paulw View Post
    That's the worst part, the only single reliable one I've actually found is the DV130.
    I've tried a Netcomm NF4V with a Gargoyle Archer C7 behind it, and the NF4V still kept losing the plot under heavy load. That said it lasted a damn sight longer than the Huawei HG630b router that Spark have been peddling.

Wellington, ya just can't beat it on a good day!

Thanks all for all the info. Much appreciated.

So I shall go out tomorrow and buy the DV130, thanks for the advice Chill. But being mostly ignorant on the VDSL thing and modems/routers in general, is it just a matter of plugging in the phone line into the router and away I go?
    "Happiness is not having what you want, it's wanting what you have..."

That's the worst part, the only single reliable one I've actually found is the DV130.
    I've tried a Netcomm NF4V with a Gargoyle Archer C7 behind it, and the NF4V still kept losing the plot under heavy load. That said it lasted a damn sight longer than the Huawei HG630b router that Spark have been peddling.
    Thanx fore the info. Spark will send me the Huawei HG630b which I will set up but will buy the DrayTek Vigor DV130 when I get settled in.. (Just wish I was getting fiber in the next year or two but I suspect it will be 4 ~ 6 years in Morrinsville..
    Regards,

Paul W
    Taco Bell is not a Mexican telephone company

Quote Originally Posted by tingle View Post
    So I shall go out tomorrow and buy the DV130, thanks for the advice Chill. But being mostly ignorant on the VDSL thing and modems/routers in general, is it just a matter of plugging in the phone line into the router and away I go?
    There's a small amount of setup for the DV130, you have to set VLAN 10 on the WAN port. SnapperNet (The national distributor) includes a piece of paper on how to get up and running, it's like 3 steps and really straight-forward. The paper is included even when you buy from the likes of PBTech etc