Bleakly Optomistic

Default Query on USB connections

I never thought about this till I got a work laptop (Wellington earthquakes mean the building is still closed)

I've noticed that when I plug my phone into it to charge, the phone gets extremely hot after a while.
    The USB datastick is the same.

If I get a generic USB wall charger and plug it in to that, or my home PC, it get's no where near as hot.

A simple case of the laptop is "overcharging" or whatever the term?

Default Re: Query on USB connections

Possibly the difference between a USB 3 socket and its higher current delivery capabilities, and the older strictly current limited USB sockets when powering a phone that is capable of fast charging?
    Fast charged batteries and the charging circuitry will always waste more energy as heat than slower charging. If the current limiting of the phones system is determined by the battery temperature instead of the inherent limits of the current source there is a distinctly faster process involved.
    Cooler batteries last longer, and are more tolerant of unexpected variations; - longer battery life and less fire/explosion risk are (for some people) a good enough reason to take a little longer to charge the battery.
    Last edited by R2x1; 07-12-2016 at 01:49 PM.
    Entropy is not what
    it used to be.

Bleakly Optomistic

I'm pretty certain they're usb 2 interfaces, after all it's a Dell

There's USB standards that many companies choose to ignore or have implemented differently, which can affect each device.

Most computers used the battery charging specification that allowed you to boost up the amps to provide faster charging, as a result, increase of traffic and more heat. This would explain the heat.

Now the device company may have opted for less amp to reduce heating and prolong the battery. Either way, they are not made to run forever and gradually lose their capacity over time. People will complain about heat but unless you use their original charger, they can not be liable.

As for the data stick, that sounds a bit odd unless its doing a lot of work.

Its ok I am from Motueka. prefect's Avatar

I had the same problem with my car charger on my Samsung fone. It like got real hot even had a caption saying temperature high charging terminated. Bought another cig lighter to USB adator and its ok. Phone seems ok but I bet I have killed the battery life.
    Its amazing how Potatoes give us chips,fries and Vodka.

Get your s*** together every other vegetable.