Default Fans and Led's wont turn off with shutdown command. Did I damage a RAM stick?

Hello guys,
    So the problem is that my pc won't shutdown completely with the command at the "Start" menu. What I mean by completely is that the Os shut's down with all the external hardware devices(monitor, mouse, keyboard, headphones), BUT does not work for the fans of my case or the Led's and runs forever. (I tested it out and left it running for 6:30 hours) So I had to turn on the Pc again but the power button wasn't working because it was already running, I decided to hold it down for 5 sec to force a shutdown which worked but then it wouldn't boot up. The monitor was black (no video) and fans worked at full speed. I immediately checked the ram sticks and seems that one of them caused the problem because now that I've removed it and it booted up.

1. How do I fix the shutdown command not turning of the fans and Led's?
    2. Did I burn/damaged my ram stick by holding the power button to force a shutdown?
    3. Is it safe to hold down the power button or PSU switch to force a shutdown, could it result Pc damage?

System Specs:
    Windows 7 Home Edition 32bit
    Asus P5E
    Intel Core 2 Quad Q6700
    NVIDIA GeForce 8800 GTS 512mb
    2 DDR2-4gb(take note that I removed one of them)

Feel free to ask me any questions.
    Thanks in advance for the help.

Default Re: Fans and Led's wont turn off with shutdown command. Did I damage a RAM stick?

Quote Originally Posted by Kostas View Post
    Hello guys,
    the Os shut's down with all the external hardware devices(monitor, mouse, keyboard, headphones), BUT does not work for the fans of my case or the Led's and runs forever.
    1. How do I fix the shutdown command not turning of the fans and Led's?
    2. Did I burn/damaged my ram stick by holding the power button to force a shutdown?
    3. Is it safe to hold down the power button or PSU switch to force a shutdown, could it result Pc damage?
    No. It has not shut down actually.

2. You can't "burn" ram. Certainly not by just forcing the PC to shut off.
    3. Yes, as far as hardware is concerned, doing that can upset windows though if you do it while it's still running.

1. Find out what's causing it to hang.....somethings most likely still running to cause it to do that or it's going into standby rather than an actual off.
    wipe your paws.

Default Re: Fans and Led's wont turn off with shutdown command. Did I damage a RAM stick?

Start up in safe mode, try shut down from safe mode . If that works then its a software issue .

how are those fans & LEDs connected, to the motherboard or direct to the internal Power supply
    does the keyboard numlock light turn off on shutdown ?

Check in Task Manager to see if anything is not closing down or still running

Quote Originally Posted by 1101 View Post
    Start up in safe mode, try shut down from safe mode . If that works then its a software issue .

how are those fans & LEDs connected, to the motherboard or direct to the internal Power supply
    does the keyboard numlock light turn off on shutdown ?
    Hello 1101,
    Well I it did as you said. Started up in safe mode and not only did it not work but it turned out even worse. Through safe mode the problem continued to existed and this time the monitor was on too(it was frozen in the "shutting down" phrase), keyboard and mouse lights were off.
    As for the Fans and Led's, everything is connected to the motherboard nothing goes straight to the PSU.

Quote Originally Posted by Lawrence View Post
    Check in Task Manager to see if anything is not closing down or still running
    Hello Lawrence,
    Well i checked the task manager as the Pc was running and found nothing unusual, as for when the Pc is on shutdown i can't check because the OS is not working but just the case fans!

Try this -- in the search, type in reli Select and open the reliability History, look to see if theres any errors at the time of shutting down.

There could be some setting in the BIOS thats holding the power on as well, basically the PSU wont shut down fully until the motherboard tells it to. "IF" the board is telling it to shut down then theres either some program running in the background stopping it, or the PSU is failing.

Fast Start can also cause all sorts of problems as its designed to hold the power for faster starting but often does the reverse.

Copied this as I cant be bothered writing it all out

Settings -> System -> Power & Sleep -> Additional Power Settings -> Choose what the power buttons do -> Change settings that are currently unavailable

Then remove the check from Turn on fast startup (recommended),

SHUT down the computer, a restart wont deactivate, allow the change in settings. See what happens on next shutdown.
    Last edited by wainuitech; 06-12-2016 at 02:53 PM.