Page 4 of 13 FirstFirst 1234567891011 ... LastLast

Default Re: Microsoft Spyware.

Here you go BM some ammo for your next MS update related cry / moan / attack.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Updates_001.png 
Views:	66 
Size:	21.8 KB 
ID:	7652

Enjoy.
    Update / Upgrades = Replace old bugs with new ones.

Quote Originally Posted by wainuitech View Post
    The spam that BM got and was posted in the original 1st post is the exact same spam I posted
    Because you are on the same list they are using for this run.

Via an email AFTER visiting the site. ( only thing looked at was the privacy policy)
    It takes a while to send millions of spams without being blacklisted.

Coincidence - the email I received ?
    Yes.

Sure is, seems really strange that the very site out of every site in the world all of a sudden completely out of the blue after years of nothing is suddenly sending out spam once the site was visited a short while later.
    Maybe they've only just stolen the PressF1 forum db

The OS used at the time was Linux, which means it wasn't Windows that triggered it.
    Explain the mechanism by which your page visit "triggers" an email to your (presumably unsupplied) email address (it's not your static ip - an MX lookup on the email's domain address points to your ISP's smtp server not your IP).

If they already have your email address why would they wait for you to visit their site before spamming you?
    I feel a hot wind on my shoulder
    And the touch of a world that is older

@ Fred -- no idea how they got my email address. Its one that has never been used for any software, and never been registered on sites. Anything like that, relating to software purchases a Hotmail/live email or throw away email (like the 10 minute email) is used.

The particular email hasn't been used to send for at least 5-6 years, the only use it gets is bills received from power Company, and Vodafone invoices, and the odd email from Flybuys.

Who knows, maybe Vodafone sold it to fund their Sky buy...
    Or maybe it just got "found" by a random address harvesting bot.

Whatever way, they got it and used it, the same as BM's and everybody else's that got the same mail - it's not related to your visit, and the timing is simply a result of BM posting the OP and you chasing around after him looking for an opportunity to get a dig in.
    I feel a hot wind on my shoulder
    And the touch of a world that is older

Quote Originally Posted by fred_fish View Post
    Who knows, maybe Vodafone sold it to fund their Sky buy...
    Or maybe it just got "found" by a random address harvesting bot.

Whatever way, they got it and used it, the same as BM's and everybody else's that got the same mail - it's not related to your visit, and the timing is simply a result of BM posting the OP and you chasing around after him looking for an opportunity to get a dig in.
    Who knows how they got the email, If it was random address harvesting , then god knows how, it would be almost impossible to guess it, its never been used to register anything & its not like its a common selection of a name in the address. Who knows what these companies do behind doors in the way of deals.(Sky /Vodafone etc)

As for chasing BM looking for an opportunity to get a dig in-- Seriously ?? If I were doing that I would create posts relating and bombard his Linux Thread with negative comments all the time. Its BM that is the person who is usually making posts or comments about how bad MS are. He simply cant help himself when someone asks a question that is having problems, instead of offering some helpful advise on solving the problem (this is a help forum after all) , all that happens is snide and running down remarks about Microsoft and their products, which is of no help at all.

Probably just a coincidence you both got spam from SoftOrbits as they have many irons in plenty of fires

Seems like Windows 10 security is the go at the minute and they charge for when you can do it yourself for free or there is other software free that does the same job

Just spam everyone that has even looked at any of their offerings in the past

Quote Originally Posted by Terry Porritt View Post
    That's it. There is also a hosts manager that can be downloaded for updating and overwriting the HOSTS file....called hostman.

I'm not sure what Bevy means by : "mucking around with the HOSTS file", he's said this before, at least once before... and also at least once before I have said there is no mucking around to do

Just one thing the hostsmanager should be run as administrator
    Thanks Terry, I'll follow up on that over the weekend.
    Global Warming is Mann made.
    The government cannot give to anybody anything that the government does not first take from somebody else.

Quote Originally Posted by Lawrence View Post
    Probably just a coincidence you both got spam from SoftOrbits as they have many irons in plenty of fires
    The Spam argument is just a Red Herring to try and divert attention away from its contents, which appear to be true, and a sad indictment on Microsoft.
    Global Warming is Mann made.
    The government cannot give to anybody anything that the government does not first take from somebody else.

Quote Originally Posted by wainuitech View Post
    Who knows how they got the email,
    possibly your email adress was in a contact list in someone elses hacked a/c
    yahoo(xtra) hacked a/cs were used to harvest email adresses from their contact lists not that long back
    add to that hotmail a/c being hacked, and spam sent to contacts (my hotmail, unused for years was hacked into & used to spam just the contacts, so I closed it)

Anyway,
    Google have done stuff far worse , stuff that you or I could have to to jail for (then the oops that was an accident response) .
    Everyone else had been doing this for years, so why the sudden rants only now, only about MS (and not all the others)

But
    I vagely remeber MS being caught many years ago, slurping info on Win95 & phoning home (after registering?). It was ages ago, and never have been able to find any links to
    that , so may not have even been true (or false memory from 20years ago)

however , nothing new. Been happening for years. Lets all go live in a cave.
    https://tech.slashdot.org/story/08/0...etty-innocuous

from that link : best comment ever
    "If Google does it, it is because they are using the information to help us.
    If Microsoft does it, it is used for evil.
    CONSISTENCY PEOPLE!"

Quote Originally Posted by pcuser42 View Post
    Hmm, now where did I put that popcorn
    Ive got it and im not sharing
    Trust me. I know what I'm doing.Sledge Hammer

Linux the only way to get rid of the windows boot sector virus ( Geoff Palmer , Jun 28, 2004 Tips & Help : Tux Love, PCWorld NZ)

Parkinsons NZ