Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Chromecast

Default Chromecast

We watch some On Demand tv and You Tube videos and were watching them on the laptop until we bought a Chromecast a couple of months ago. Now we are able to watch all of that on the big screen of the tv. Much more preferable. Wish we had heard about it earlier.

We highly recommend Chromecast. Much better than watching it on the laptop. If you watch On Demand or You Tube you would do very well to buy yourself a Chromecast. Cost is $60. It simply plugs into the HDMI slot on your tv and requires a five minute setup on your PC.

Buy yourself a Chromecast. Well worth the cost.
    It is better to wear out than to rust out.
    - Richard Chamberlain, Tour of the Hebrides

Us husbands are a sorry lot.

Default Re: Chromecast

Is the actual data coming down through the ph/laptop then onto the TV, or is the dongle itself doing the download/streaming & the ph/laptop is simply a remote ?

Roscoe. What OnDemand are you watching?? I thought that TVNZ and Mediaworks OnDemand didn't work on CC..
    Regards,

Paul W
    Taco Bell is not a Mexican telephone company

You use the chromecast app from the android store. Then connect to it wirelessly to configure. You still need some kind of wireless modem or something. To use it

I think there's a install file for windows too. I think you have to install Chrome to use it
    Last edited by Speedy Gonzales; 02-11-2016 at 12:09 PM.

1101: The data is coming through the laptop and is transmitted to the dongle. Very clever.

Paul: We only watch On Demand from TV1 and it works perfectly - no problem at all.

Speedy: From what you say I think that the laptop broadcasts to the tv via the wireless modem. Is that what you mean?
    It is better to wear out than to rust out.
    - Richard Chamberlain, Tour of the Hebrides

Us husbands are a sorry lot.

I use my Nexus 9 tablet for Chromecast. I have had difficulty finding a reliable way of casting videos from web pages and think I solved the problem today. I have tried a number of apps like Kodi and LocalCast for Chromecast/DLNA with limited results. However today I installed Web Video Caster (free on Google Play store) and it works a treat. We had missed the first episode of The Story of China, but were able to play it in full on the TV. The app fills the screen with the video rather than casting the whole web page.
    Last edited by John H; 02-11-2016 at 01:17 PM.

Old guy

Quote Originally Posted by Speedy Gonzales View Post
    You use the chromecast app from the android store. Then connect to it wirelessly to configure. You still need some kind of wireless modem or something. To use it

I think there's a install file for windows too. I think you have to install Chrome to use it
    It is an extension which you add to Chrome. Works well from my Windows 10 PC but like John I usually use my Nexus 9 to control the Chromecast. Works well from my android phone also.

Chromecast app seems to have disappeared from Play Store, at least for my tablet. It is no longer showing in "My apps and games" either.

PS Ah, it is now called Google Home... I wonder what bright spark MBA graduate came up with that stupid name?
    Last edited by John H; 02-11-2016 at 02:24 PM.

Where is Metla these days Chilling_Silence's Avatar

How it works depends on what you're doing.
    If you're casting a local tab from a laptop, it's naturally going to have to play from the laptop.

If you're casting from your Cellphone, say a YouTube video, the Chromecast then re-starts the connection directly to YouTube, and your phone is simply a "remote" that can go to sleep, save battery etc
    I mostly do Bitcoin & DigiByte things these days, feel free to say hi on Twitter: https://twitter.com/dgb_chilling

Before you ask a question here, or before you get upset by a response, see here:
    http://www.catb.org/~esr/faqs/smart-...ons.html#intro

Quote Originally Posted by Roscoe View Post
    1101: The data is coming through the laptop and is transmitted to the dongle. Very clever.

Speedy: From what you say I think that the laptop broadcasts to the tv via the wireless modem. Is that what you mean?
    Ah I suppose that would work if you install the windows chromecast app (or whatever it's called now).

I would try it (I do have a chromecast 2), but I dont really like Chrome.

But I have tried the chromecast using a cheap android phone. Works fine