Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Upgrade Time

Default Upgrade Time

Well it's that time again for my gaming system.
    On the wish list I composed last year, I had Intel i7-4790k on Asus Z-97 Pro
    Just looking at current systems at Computer Lounge, it would seem i7-6700k on a Z-170k with DDR4 is the latest trend.
    Anyone used either or both & could comment on the comparison.

Default Re: Upgrade Time

I have an i7 6700K on a Z170M-plus so quite close. However I really don't think it's worth it over a 4790K, performance is too close for you to notice. I upgraded from a 3770 and honestly can't tell the difference.
    The only upgrades worth considering this year over last IMHO are graphics cards and monitors.

On the other hand I really wanted an M.2 SSD and DDR4 and I enjoy building them so I don't regret my unnecessary upgrade either.
    Ryzen 2700X, 16Gb DDR4RAM, 512GB M.2 NVME SSD, MSI GTX1070

Thanks dugi, thats the info I was after.
    I'm currently using a i7-3770k on a Asus P8Z77-v at 4200
    Will cost almost a grand to update, whichever way I go.
    Already have 2 SSD's, so may not be worth it.
    Had considered going from 8 to 16GB memory but not if I was going to upgrade to DDR4.

Where is Metla these days Chilling_Silence's Avatar

I'm with dugimodo, too small a difference to go that route unless you're certain it's the games that are pushing your CPU to it's limits. You'd be better off throwing that at a better GPU and looking at 144hz monitors IMO!
    Edit: I also have a 4K monitor... While it looks prettier, a little, I'd still take the 1080p @ 144hz any day over it!
    I mostly do Bitcoin & DigiByte things these days, feel free to say hi on Twitter: https://twitter.com/dgb_chilling

Before you ask a question here, or before you get upset by a response, see here:
    http://www.catb.org/~esr/faqs/smart-...ons.html#intro

Thanks Chill, appreciate the advice.
    I'll continue to run my current setup for now anyway.
    Current GPU is Asus GTX970.
    Current monitor is Philips 240S @ 1920x1200
    I did try using a second smaller screen just to monitor temps & fan speeds last summer.
    Currently using American Truck Sim.
    Runs that just fine.
    It's when I get into flight sim it needs the overclock to keep up.
    Some of the modern aircraft with the 3D cockpits are a bit demanding especially when on the ground.

I would say if you do upgrade always go for the newer platform, the Z170 chipset has M.2 support, more PCIE lanes, more USB 3.0 ports, DDR4 support. I think the platform differences are worth any price difference more than the CPU performance is. Both the 4790K & 6700K have a 4Ghz stock base clock and while the 6700K is slightly faster I think the 4790K overclocks a little better the result being near identical performance across the board.

I had almost talked myself into a devils canyon 4790k upgrade when the 6700K was released so I jumped on that instead. I only have a very mild overclock just because it seemed wrong not to. I don't do flight SIMs but none of the games I do play have come anywhere close to maxing out my CPU. I run a 980 myself, think it'll probably last me until the next generation cards if I stick to 1080P.

I am still gaming on a 60hz IPS monitor using Vsync and I'm pretty happy with that. All the screens I like the look of are horrendously expensive but in an Ideal world I would go for a QHD 27" 144Hz gsync capable monitor. I think 4K is still too new to adopt and windows still doesn't scale well to it from what I've seen (only from a brief play around on a 40" 4K screen in PBtech). Plus you need huge GPU power to game in 4K. I would consider it if I could find a definitive answer on how well 1080P scales on a 4k monitor for gaming but not many people seem to have actually tried it so you mostly find conjecture when you google that.

What cooling do you have on that system dugi?

Just a Hyper 212 Evo I had laying around and the standard front and rear case fans on my corsair case. It handles stock speeds easily and also the small overclock I'm running (4.2 I think, not home right now to check) but I'd probably have bought something better if I didn't already have it. My 980 is a reference design that vents out of the case as well so not much added heat from that to deal with.

Which is a handy reminder, these CPU's don't come with a stock cooler if you buy one so be aware of that.

Very similar, only my cooler is a Zalman Performa.
    When I was monitoring the temps, the hotest the CPU got was 53 degrees.
    Case fans got up to about 60%
    That was one day last summer.
    Got too hot in the room then, so went down for a swim instead.

Where is Metla these days Chilling_Silence's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by dugimodo View Post
    I am still gaming on a 60hz IPS monitor using Vsync and I'm pretty happy with that. All the screens I like the look of are horrendously expensive but in an Ideal world I would go for a QHD 27" 144Hz gsync capable monitor. I think 4K is still too new to adopt and windows still doesn't scale well to it from what I've seen (only from a brief play around on a 40" 4K screen in PBtech). Plus you need huge GPU power to game in 4K. I would consider it if I could find a definitive answer on how well 1080P scales on a 4k monitor for gaming but not many people seem to have actually tried it so you mostly find conjecture when you google that.
    4K can definitely look good, I was at PBTech on the shore and they were running it over an HDMI cable, so it was limited to 30hz... Rookies! It looked absolutely horrible and janky as they were trying to demo it, so if you're using PBTech as a benchmark, then 100% I'd agree with you, but it's very very easy to set it up a lot better than their stores seem to demo for some stupid reason.

That said, the processing power needed for 4K gaming is crazy...
    I would get around 25-50fps, depending on the game and settings etc it wasn't too bad, but you're not gonna be able to max out things like detail / texture levels, all the antialiasing / antistropic filtering, like you could at 1080p, so it's a weird trade-off coz it looks better and yet worse at the same time.

Once you've seen a game run at 144hz, even at 1080p, it's hard to go back to such a low framerate. It sounds pretentious, but I've got a bunch of mates over and I've swapped between the 4K monitor at 60hz and 1080p at 144hz... Every single one of them agrees that 144hz just "looks better", even though you can see more detail on the 4K screen.

I ended up going for one of these, contemplated going 27" to match the size of my Samsung 4K but decided to be a cheap ass and get 24"
    https://www.pbtech.co.nz/product/MON...st-Gaming-Expe
    My only regret is that I didn't get one sooner!
    I mostly do Bitcoin & DigiByte things these days, feel free to say hi on Twitter: https://twitter.com/dgb_chilling

Before you ask a question here, or before you get upset by a response, see here:
    http://www.catb.org/~esr/faqs/smart-...ons.html#intro