Results 1 to 7 of 7
  1. #1
    Web Developer dpDesignz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Hamilton, New Zealand
    Posts
    470

    Default Windows 10 Core Failing

    So I updated to Windows 10 Anniversary yesterday using the Windows Update Assistant, and when my computer restarted I had issues doing anything with my files, so I claimed ownership of my entire C drive, and gave full access to my user account...

    Now I can't use the start menu, Edge, Calculator, Store, or any apps. I have 1 program I need to remove that I can't. Explorer works fine, as does the taskbar, task manager, and all other features, but I can't use the start menu or the other programs!

    I've run the Start Menu Repair from Microsoft, but it gives me the following errors:

    PrintStart Menu Publisher details

    Issues found
    Required applications are not installed correctly.Required applications are not installed correctly.
    "Microsoft.Windows.ShellExperienceHost" and "Microsoft.Windows.Cortana" applications need to be installed correctly. Not fixed Not Fixed
    Install the applications Completed

    Potential issues that were checked
    Permission issues with registry keysPermission issues with registry keys
    The current user needs to have permissions to access the following registry key: HKCU:\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\De viceAccess\Global Issue not present
    Tile database is corrupt.Tile database is corrupt. Issue not present
    Application manifest is corrupt.Application manifest is corrupt. Issue not present

    Issues found Detection details

    6 Required applications are not installed correctly. Not fixed Not Fixed

    "Microsoft.Windows.ShellExperienceHost" and "Microsoft.Windows.Cortana" applications need to be installed correctly.
    Install the applications Completed

    Installing the applications might fix the Start menu problems.


    Potential issues that were checked Detection details

    Permission issues with registry keys Issue not present

    The current user needs to have permissions to access the following registry key: HKCU:\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\De viceAccess\Global

    Tile database is corrupt. Issue not present


    Application manifest is corrupt. Issue not present



    Detection details Expand

    Collection information
    Computer Name: THE-LEWTIM
    Windows Version: 10.0
    Architecture: x64
    Time: Thursday, October 27, 2016 8:23:21 PM

    Publisher details Expand

    Start Menu
    Find and fix problems with the Start menu.
    Package Version: 1.0.1.20160613
    Publisher: Microsoft Corporation
    I've tried the following help: http://home.bt.com/tech-gadgets/comp...11364000314532 but after a heap of red text and restarting I'm still having no luck.

    Short of doing a PC Refresh which I really don't want to do, any suggestions anyone can give me please?

    TIA
    DP

  2. #2
    Computer Technician wainuitech's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Wellington
    Posts
    28,128

    Default Re: Windows 10 Core Failing

    Not to good an idea give full permission to the complete C Drive.

    Check this setting -- Open Regedit, navigate to the entry below Listed in possible fix ( Advanced) on the right look to see if you have an entry "EnableStartMenu"
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Reg.jpg 
Views:	300 
Size:	22.7 KB 
ID:	7606

    If you do, select it, then export to someplace, open ( right click it edit) copy and post back the complete entry. (it will be long)


    Possible fix:
    The start menu, you can try --- Open regedit, navigate to HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\Curre ntVersion\Explorer\Advanced, and create a new DWORD value with name ‘EnableXamlStartMenu’ and give it value as ‘0’.

    Reboot.


    What did you get when you ran the DISM command ? as listed on the site linked
    Personally I wouldn't do a reset, if the download was corrupted for some reason ( happens quite a bit Via the Windows Update Assistant if direct and not via a ISO) then it will simply put back the corruptions as you already have.

    Keep in mind - doing a reset you'll lose the option to roll back to the previous install as well.

    You can uninstall your graphic Drivers as well, as sometimes they can cause problems.
    Last edited by wainuitech; 27-10-2016 at 08:56 PM.

  3. #3
    Web Developer dpDesignz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Hamilton, New Zealand
    Posts
    470

    Default Re: Windows 10 Core Failing

    Quote Originally Posted by wainuitech View Post
    Not to good an idea give full permission to the complete C Drive.

    Check this setting -- Open Regedit, navigate to the entry below Listed in possible fix ( Advanced) on the right look to see if you have an entry "EnableStartMenu"
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Reg.jpg 
Views:	300 
Size:	22.7 KB 
ID:	7606

    If you do, select it, then export to someplace, open ( right click it edit) copy and post back the complete entry. (it will be long)


    Possible fix:
    The start menu, you can try --- Open regedit, navigate to HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\Curre ntVersion\Explorer\Advanced, and create a new DWORD value with name ‘EnableXamlStartMenu’ and give it value as ‘0’.

    Reboot.


    What did you get when you ran the DISM command ? as listed on the site linked
    Personally I wouldn't do a reset, if the download was corrupted for some reason ( happens quite a bit Via the Windows Update Assistant if direct and not via a ISO) then it will simply put back the corruptions as you already have.

    Keep in mind - doing a reset you'll lose the option to roll back to the previous install as well.

    You can uninstall your graphic Drivers as well, as sometimes they can cause problems.
    Finally got back on here. This is driving me nuts!

    I'm now aware it wasn't the best decision. What would you suggest I do to change it back?

    My reg file export can be seen at http://pastebin.com/3c9Eyd07. Is this right? I selected it in Regedit and did File->Export

    So I got "Windows did not find any integrity violations" back from the DISM

    I can't even work out how to get to Windows Update to see if there's any updates for me to install. So any suggestions around this would be much appreciated.

    I'll try the graphics drivers option as well.

    Thanks as always WT

  4. #4
    Computer Technician wainuitech's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Wellington
    Posts
    28,128

    Default Re: Windows 10 Core Failing

    The Reg list is just what I was looking for

    Just doing some cross checking on another W10 to compare with mine that I'm on now., there are some entries which have been turned off in yours (somehow).

    BRB

  5. #5
    Web Developer dpDesignz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Hamilton, New Zealand
    Posts
    470

    Default Re: Windows 10 Core Failing

    Quote Originally Posted by wainuitech View Post
    The Reg list is just what I was looking for

    Just doing some cross checking on another W10 to compare with mine that I'm on now., there are some entries which have been turned off in yours (somehow).

    BRB
    Thanks! I tried the graphics driver, added the `EnableXamlStartMenu` and managed to get into my settings to run windows update and apply that but still no luck.

    The Start menu still isn't loading, and Calculator and Store open as a shell and crash again. Edge and Photo Viewer don't even load, I just get an error message on screen saying the app couldn't load.

    Looking forward to what you can find. Fingers crossed

  6. #6
    Computer Technician wainuitech's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Wellington
    Posts
    28,128

    Default Re: Windows 10 Core Failing

    Ok just checked on SWMBO W10 and most are the same as mine, with the exception I have a few more. The list below is how mine is listed. (In the quote)
    The entry HideFileExt is only saying that, hide file extensions, not important.

    Don't know what will happen, but double check what's listed below with what you have, change to the same. If I were doing it in the workshop I'd make a restore point first, if it turns even worse then it can be rebooted either by DVD or recovery and use system restore to undo any changes.

    The ones that are different are Hidden,TaskbarAnimations, NavPaneShowAllFolders.

    TaskbarStateLastRun ( leave this its different on most PC's)

    I did merge your file into a workshop PC ( made a restore point first) trying to break it --- couldn't break it, worked fine as before.

    Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

    [HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\Curre ntVersion\Explorer\Advanced]
    "Start_SearchFiles"=dword:00000002
    "ServerAdminUI"=dword:00000000
    "Hidden"=dword:00000001
    "ShowCompColor"=dword:00000001
    "HideFileExt"=dword:00000000
    "DontPrettyPath"=dword:00000000
    "ShowInfoTip"=dword:00000001
    "HideIcons"=dword:00000000
    "MapNetDrvBtn"=dword:00000000
    "WebView"=dword:00000001
    "Filter"=dword:00000000
    "ShowSuperHidden"=dword:00000000
    "SeparateProcess"=dword:00000000
    "AutoCheckSelect"=dword:00000000
    "IconsOnly"=dword:00000000
    "ShowTypeOverlay"=dword:00000001
    "ShowStatusBar"=dword:00000001
    "ListviewAlphaSelect"=dword:00000001
    "ListviewShadow"=dword:00000001
    "TaskbarAnimations"=dword:00000001
    "StoreAppsOnTaskbar"=dword:00000001
    "EnableStartMenu"=dword:00000001
    "StartMenuInit"=dword:0000000d
    "ReindexedProfile"=dword:00000001
    "TaskbarSizeMove"=dword:00000000
    "DisablePreviewDesktop"=dword:00000000
    "TaskbarSmallIcons"=dword:00000000
    "TaskbarGlomLevel"=dword:00000000
    "LaunchTo"=dword:00000001
    "ShellViewReentered"=dword:00000001
    "TaskbarStateLastRun"=hex:f2,37,10,58,00,00,00 ,00
    "NavPaneShowAllFolders"=dword:00000000

    [HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\Curre ntVersion\Explorer\Advanced\Xaml]
    "AllowFailFastOnAnyFailure"=dword:00000000
    Have you tried running the troubleshooter for the start menu ? https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/...t-menu-cortana

  7. #7
    Web Developer dpDesignz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Hamilton, New Zealand
    Posts
    470

    Default Re: Windows 10 Core Failing

    Quote Originally Posted by wainuitech View Post
    Ok just checked on SWMBO W10 and most are the same as mine, with the exception I have a few more. The list below is how mine is listed. (In the quote)
    The entry HideFileExt is only saying that, hide file extensions, not important.

    Don't know what will happen, but double check what's listed below with what you have, change to the same. If I were doing it in the workshop I'd make a restore point first, if it turns even worse then it can be rebooted either by DVD or recovery and use system restore to undo any changes.

    The ones that are different are Hidden,TaskbarAnimations, NavPaneShowAllFolders.

    TaskbarStateLastRun ( leave this its different on most PC's)

    I did merge your file into a workshop PC ( made a restore point first) trying to break it --- couldn't break it, worked fine as before.



    Have you tried running the troubleshooter for the start menu ? https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/...t-menu-cortana
    Hmm, no luck I have run that troubleshooter. My results are in the quote on my initial post.

    Unfortunately I also can't make a new account or change my account because the pop-ups to do this crash

    After some more digging I'm most certainly not the only one with the issue. Microsoft still don't have a fix by the sound of it, so I may just have to grin and bear it for a couple of weeks

    Thanks for all the help!

Similar Threads

  1. Acer Travelmate 2484 failing to load Windows
    By as38camp in forum PressF1
    Replies: 11
    Last Post: 30-05-2012, 04:56 PM
  2. Windows Automatic Update keeps failing
    By Alison in forum PressF1
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 21-12-2007, 04:23 AM
  3. Replies: 39
    Last Post: 04-01-2007, 10:46 AM
  4. Dual Booting Windows XP HE and Fedora Core 2
    By thenzengineer in forum PressF1
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 06-08-2005, 09:18 AM
  5. Replies: 1
    Last Post: 07-10-2003, 08:34 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •