Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Life After Life

Default Life After Life

I read a book a while ago which had accounts of people who had near death experiences. They told of travelling down a tunnel where they met up with some of their dead relatives. They were told that it was not their time and that they should go back. The next thing they knew was being back in their bed. Some told of being above their bed watching their family all around crying over their body.

It also told of people who were hypnotised and taken back to another life and they started speaking in an unknown language.

All of the above makes you wonder if there is an after life and if there is such a thing as resurrection. It seems that that may be the case. And if that is true then does that mean that we have a soul and is it just the body that dies and the soul carries on?

I have heard people say, "when you're dead, you're dead," meaning that's it, but is that really the case?

I'm not trying to start a thread on the pros or cons of religion. That's not what I'm on about. I'm just wondering what others think about the idea of life after life.
    It is better to wear out than to rust out.
    - Richard Chamberlain, Tour of the Hebrides

Us husbands are a sorry lot.

Default Re: Life After Life

Heifer dust

"If Fawlty Towers is now being removed by the BBC then humour is dead. The puritans are winning because the establishment is weak and has no self confidence."

Nigel Farage@Nigel_Farage· Jun 12

Quote Originally Posted by Zippity View Post
    Heifer dust
    That was not very intelligent, but then not unexpected. Pity you could not come up with an argument to support your opinion.
    It is better to wear out than to rust out.
    - Richard Chamberlain, Tour of the Hebrides

Us husbands are a sorry lot.

In a 1920s time warp Terry Porritt's Avatar

The problem is that the human imagination is a wondrous thing, and that people will believe whatever they want to until the story in their mind becomes fact, that black is white and white is black and they will never be shaken from that belief.

I see and hear nothing to convince me that when I'm dead I'm not really dead and will go to some weird place in the sky. The nailed God religion has nothing to offer except blind faith. I'm not into that crap

I had a fall into a pool and fractured 1 cervical verterbrae and dislocated 3 verterbrae. My spinal cord was severely damaged but not severed. I was totally paralysed and under water. I felt that I was in something like a sphere of a brilliant white light all around and a feeling of absolute peace. Couldn't breathe but that didn't worry me at all. Then my 3 year old son (now 44) lifted my head above the water and the world returned to normal (sort of).

(I gradually got feeling back over the next few weeks and recovered to live a pretty reasonable level of life with some limitations but had some pretty tricky spinal operations over the years. After several weeks in traction in the Orthopaedic Ward in Napier Hospital then many weeks of getting myself going again, I returned to work, but at a lesser job)

Yes Roscoe, there is so much we don't know about our being part of our time!! I have never feared death since that day and I guess that, in time, death will initiate me to its ways. If it is like that experience it will be OK.

Ken
    Last edited by kenj; 09-10-2016 at 02:47 PM.
    Corgi Ben Kenobi.......Related by Corgi to the Queen

I was dead before I was born, that wasn't particularly memorable. Next time I expect to just go phut, I'm not particularly into invisible friends having their agents peddle a lucrative old trade in a system of warranties that pays out post mortem; your money cheerfully refunded if not satisfied.
    Entropy is not what
    it used to be.

100% agree with Zippity, and that's miraculous itself.

People believe what they want too, and can bend almost any experience to fit into their personal beliefs without even realising they are doing it. There are perfectly good scientific explanations for most if not all the near death experiences people have descibed. For those that believe, or want to believe, in life after death the more "spiritual" explanations are far more appealing so they ignore the science and go with the alternatives. http://www.livescience.com/16019-dea...explained.html

There is of course only one way to know for sure, and I'm in no rush personally.
    Ryzen 2700X, 16Gb DDR4RAM, 512GB M.2 NVME SSD, MSI GTX1070

There was a doco on Sky a while ago.
    A doctor did some experiments, some on others, most on himself.

He put himself in one of those sensory deprivation things, he deprived himself of oxygen and so on.

he was able to replicate all of the "death" experiences, while having his brain (and the others) monitored.

The brain panics, it releases chemicals to calm you, it hates no input so makes it up. Birds, waves, people talking all sorts....
    The light and tunnels is partly the brain and partly the optic nerve.

And so on....but people desperately want to think they matter and a short life isn't all there is to it, we're special in some way and continue on in another form.
    wipe your paws.

I thought I would wait for comment on my post All that happened is true. The Doc told me that what I experienced is quite common. It is caused by the shock of the injury to the nervous system and the body's reaction to it. (as pctek said)

As I said.... peaceful.

Ken
    Last edited by kenj; 09-10-2016 at 04:28 PM.
    Corgi Ben Kenobi.......Related by Corgi to the Queen