Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Router

Default Router

Needing new router/AP. Currently on FB cable, will be moving back to VDSL next year. No chance of fibre till 2019, so dont meet to accommodate that. All our devices are wireless, so wireless performance is a must. Currently have a 8 year old airport extreme which is finally getting flakey
    samsung, discovering a new galaxy every month

Default Re: Router

I have fibre.... my house has a large footprint (one level) so a couple of areas were flakey using wifi..... had a tech. visit recently on an unrelated matter and mentioning the issue - he installed a Ubiquiti AP - it is superb and has made all the difference to wifi reception anywhere in the house.... don't have the box as he kindly took it away for me - think he said it was "Pecoe" (spelling may not be right)..... apparently this has 500m distance....

Where is Metla these days Chilling_Silence's Avatar

DrayTek DV130 for the VDSL, and have it DMZ to something like a TP-Link TL-WR1043ND or Archer C7 (Depending on your budget) and pop the latest Gargoyle firmware on them. I do roughly just over 1TB a month on mine on 100mbps fibre, never misses a beat...

Then when you go back to Fibre, just ditch the DV130 and use your TP-Link Gargoyle router.

It's *the* most reliable VDSL2 router you can get out there!
    I mostly do Bitcoin & DigiByte things these days, feel free to say hi on Twitter: https://twitter.com/dgb_chilling

Before you ask a question here, or before you get upset by a response, see here:
    http://www.catb.org/~esr/faqs/smart-...ons.html#intro

Quote Originally Posted by Chilling_Silence View Post
    DrayTek DV130 for the VDSL, and have it DMZ to something like a TP-Link TL-WR1043ND or Archer C7 (Depending on your budget) and pop the latest Gargoyle firmware on them. I do roughly just over 1TB a month on mine on 100mbps fibre, never misses a beat...

Then when you go back to Fibre, just ditch the DV130 and use your TP-Link Gargoyle router.

It's *the* most reliable VDSL2 router you can get out there!
    Thanks chill

Do those TP-Link routers do Vlan tagging for fibre? I'm keeping an eye out on what to get if the Spark Huawei freebie gives me any trouble (so far so good though)

I have one of these https://www.pbtech.co.nz/product/MOD...Band-Gigabit-A
    That was my VDSL all in one, was very reliable but I can't use it for the fibre other than as an access point and I have no need for that. I'd consider offers if you're interested in a second hand all in one.
    Ryzen 2700X, 16Gb DDR4RAM, 512GB M.2 NVME SSD, MSI GTX1070

Just ordered the archerC7. Currently on Vodafone cable network which I'll will be moving away from asap

Quote Originally Posted by dugimodo View Post
    Do those TP-Link routers do Vlan tagging for fibre? I'm keeping an eye out on what to get if the Spark Huawei freebie gives me any trouble (so far so good though)I have one of these https://www.pbtech.co.nz/product/MOD...Band-Gigabit-AThat was my VDSL all in one, was very reliable but I can't use it for the fibre other than as an access point and I have no need for that. I'd consider offers if you're interested in a second hand all in one.
    You were half hour to late.

Quote Originally Posted by plod View Post
    Just ordered the archerC7. Currently on Vodafone cable network which I'll will be moving away from asap
    Sold several of those, never had any problems with them.

Just a question: you do know its only a Router ? (Archer C7)

While its Fine for the likes of Vodafone Cable as it has a RJ45 for the modem and 4 x RJ45's for the Ethernet, it doesn't have a RJ11 for VDSL or inbuilt Modem ??

Only the Archer D7 has.

Quote Originally Posted by wainuitech View Post
    Sold several of those, never had any problems with them.Just a question: you do know its only a Router ? (Archer C7) While its Fine for the likes of Vodafone Cable as it has a RJ45 for the modem and 4 x RJ45's for the Ethernet, it doesn't have a RJ11 for VDSL or inbuilt Modem ??Only the Archer D7 has.
    Yep. Only wanting it as a router, will keep on Using whatever VF suppled for the modem

Where is Metla these days Chilling_Silence's Avatar

They don't in Gargoyle natively, I was working on a plugin a while back to add support for use as UFB in NZ, but as an ISP I don't use VLAN tagging for UFB so there was absolutely no point in me carrying on down that path. They don't need VLAN support either where there's a device in front doing DMZ / PPPoE Bridging for VDSL2 users either.

IF you're using them on an ISP, say Spark, who normally use VLAN 10, just ring them and say you want your account changed to not use VLAN tagging and they'll turn it off, usually takes ~4 hours. You can then just use PPPoE or DHCP depending on what your ISP requires, no VLAN, life is simple, life is good
    I mostly do Bitcoin & DigiByte things these days, feel free to say hi on Twitter: https://twitter.com/dgb_chilling

Before you ask a question here, or before you get upset by a response, see here:
    http://www.catb.org/~esr/faqs/smart-...ons.html#intro