Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Backup Dying Hard Drive

I have a Seagate 3TB external drive which has started dying. The blue light on the top flashes steadily and I can access the hard drive and see the files, but I can't copy or move them.

Does anyone know of a way I can backup this entire drive before it fully dies? I have access to a linux system and have a new drive to move the data to, I'm just not sure how to.

Any tips and software suggestions (preferably free if possible) would be much appreciated

Default Re: Backup Dying Hard Drive

You can try making an image of it, then drop that image onto the new drive. Depends on whats wrong with it. Had to do that with customers failing drives, sometimes it works other times it doesn't.

Quote Originally Posted by wainuitech View Post
    You can try making an image of it, then drop that image onto the new drive. Depends on whats wrong with it. Had to do that with customers failing drives, sometimes it works other times it doesn't.
    Thanks wanuitech!

Why image vs clone? Wouldn't clone work better for what I'm wanting? I'm just wanting to move the files. It's just an external drive to another external drive.

Also any suggestions on software? I'm trying Macrium but open for suggestions

Quote Originally Posted by dpDesignz View Post
    Thanks wanuitech!

Why image vs clone? Wouldn't clone work better for what I'm wanting? I'm just wanting to move the files. It's just an external drive to another external drive.

Also any suggestions on software? I'm trying Macrium but open for suggestions
    Trying to clone from a USB (source) drive many times, some software cant do it, only direct connections Eg. SATA

I use Active@disk Image, create an image, as cloning if there's corruptions often fails, where as a image copies corruptions and all. I know you can image to a USB drive, but cant remember if you can image from one, I normally don't do it that way (from a USB drive)

Good example of imaging verse Cloning --- was one drive, had been cloning for close to 4 hours then failed at roughly 90% It Imaged fine on the second attempt.

Edit: Some partitioning software will copy from USB Drives.
    Last edited by wainuitech; 22-09-2016 at 08:09 PM.

Trying to clone from a USB (source) drive many times, some software cant do it, only direct connections Eg. SATA

I use Active@disk Image, create an image, as cloning if there's corruptions often fails, where as a image copies corruptions and all. I know you can image to a USB drive, but cant remember if you can image from one, I normally don't do it that way (from a USB drive)

Good example of imaging verse Cloning --- was one drive, had been cloning for close to 4 hours then failed at roughly 90% It Imaged fine on the second attempt.
    Thanks heaps! Will give that a go

Just a thought -- You also have to have someplace to put the image if doing it that way, then it gets dropped on the blank drive.

Just a thought -- You also have to have someplace to put the image if doing it that way, then it gets dropped on the blank drive.
    I'm going to try track down a drive. It's jut under 2.6TB so far. It's creating a volume snapshot currently

Reflect ended up erroring out and Active@ shows the disk is empty. I think I may have lost everything

Quote Originally Posted by dpDesignz View Post
    Reflect ended up erroring out and Active@ shows the disk is empty. I think I may have lost everything
    The partition table may have crashed failed. Generally is unlikely you have lost the lot. you may just need to run data recovery software over the Seagate drive.

Suggest you install http://www.easeus.com/datarecoverywi...y-software.htm Aim it at the USB drive. the free one will handle 2GB But will show if its recoverable.

Use the Deep Scan.

Expect it to take a while though, started one yesterday, was scanning a deleted partition, just under 1 TB ---- 27 hours later - recovered.

As long as the drive can be seen you may have to look for this: ( of course it will be called something different & be the full size of the drive)

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Drives.png 
Views:	103 
Size:	21.7 KB 
ID:	7472
    Last edited by wainuitech; 22-09-2016 at 09:18 PM.

sometimes, using a Linux based recovery/clone just works when a MS based recovery/clone wont. Lin being less fussy than Win .

I think Paragon is Lin based & free , it has a basic file copy function Ive used many times . That might be worth a try
    https://www.paragon-software.com/home/br-free/

I'd think this drive needs a full data recovery by the sound of things. Since the drive is detected & partially readable, there a good chance data recovery will work.