Default Autoplay in Win10

Using Win7 I would just insert a disk in the DVD drive and it would play, however, this is not the case with Win10. I can get a disk to play via the DVD drive using Windows Exployer but this is really not satisfactory.

I have tried via Settings/Devices/Autoplay (switched on) but still no joy. Can someone suggest a solution please.?

In a 1920s time warp Terry Porritt's Avatar

Default Re: Autoplay in Win10

There always seems to be more than one way of doing things, they may be the same but try Control Panel- Hardware and Sound-Autoplay, tick the box Use AutoPlay for all media and devices then select a default program for the media, eg VLC for CDs

Also have a look here: http://windowsreport.com/autoplay-no...ng-windows-10/ which has a registry fix

Quote Originally Posted by Terry Porritt View Post
    There always seems to be more than one way of doing things, they may be the same but try Control Panel- Hardware and Sound-Autoplay, tick the box Use AutoPlay for all media and devices then select a default program for the media, eg VLC for CDs

Also have a look here: http://windowsreport.com/autoplay-no...ng-windows-10/ which has a registry fix
    I have already tried your first suggestion without success. Also had a look at registry fix but I couldn't find the HKCU reference. To be honest I am not that keen on playing around in the registry but perhaps that is the only fix. It appears a lot of people are having this problem. Dam Win10. Some recommend to restore ALL to default settings.
    Last edited by Pato; 17-09-2016 at 02:59 PM.

Restore to default may be a good start.

wainuitech may have some suggestions. I have tried a lot of the so-called fixes on the net, but so far to no avail. You should be able to insert a disk and it should start playing making it simple for everyone.

They have been automatically disabling auto run features by default for years because it's a security risk. If you really want it see if this helps http://www.howtogeek.com/236241/how-...in-windows-10/
    I don't find it any great hardship to launch it myself personally.
    Ryzen 2700X, 16Gb DDR4RAM, 512GB M.2 NVME SSD, MSI GTX1070

You dont need any reg fixes or change any difficult settings

This has worked most of the time I've done it.

1st thing you NEED to install a third party player, By DEFAULT Windows 10 wont play DVD's or Blu-Ray ( see last Line in)

The suggested answers above if you combine them together should work.

Go to the search, type in Auto - Open Autoplay settings, make sure Autoplay is set to on - then from the first dropdown box select "Ask me everytime" (Just for the hell of it)

Next go into the old control panel /Autoplay Scroll down to DVD, from the dropdown box select "Ask me every time"
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Ask.jpg 
Views:	72 
Size:	29.7 KB 
ID:	7440

When you put in a DVD you will (or should) get a bar fly out bottom right - MANY people miss it, or look at it with a dumb look going "whats that" and p1ss about clicking it, so they have to eject the DVD and start again.

Name:	Option.png 
Views:	90 
Size:	30.8 KB 
ID:	7439

When the bar flies out (may take a few moments) you click it, then another box will open up top, select what you want, meaning select the player you want to use.

You can also select the default player from the above settings, instead of selecting Ask everytime select your player of choice.

Name:	Select Device.jpg 
Views:	89 
Size:	34.3 KB 
ID:	7441

Personally I got several which are AlPlayer, Zoom(free), VLC, Kodi and a couple of others
    Last edited by wainuitech; 18-09-2016 at 12:19 PM.

Thanks wainui. I have installed VLC in the meantime. I am trying to get my music cds to open automatically, but have tried a movie dvd also. I do not get a bar fly out when I insert a DVD, nothing.

so I can't select a default player. I am probably missing something but I don't know what. I had tried the other suggestions before I posted on here and did not have any success.

I can get these things to play ok but I want to make it simple for others by using autoplay. This has worked ok with XP and Win7 so I can't see what the problem is with Win10.

The autoplay in the old control panel, you select the player for the media type. Looking at mine they look like they are almost greyed out but aren't, from the drop down boxes you select what ever you want.

Name:	Audio CD.jpg 
Views:	71 
Size:	44.8 KB 
ID:	7442
    Make sure the boxes are selected other wise the options wont work on some settings:

Name:	Autoplay.png 
Views:	71 
Size:	19.7 KB 
ID:	7443

If these are not working then some setting is disabled. Playing about with reg files to turn on is not a good idea, esp if they should work by default. Everything I posted has worked here on our computers.

Looking at some places that say alter the reg,- some (if not most) dont apply to everyones problem. Take as an example http://windowsreport.com/autoplay-no...ng-windows-10/ -- The settings they state for NoDriveTypeAutoRun dont exist, and some of the folders in the HKCU also dont exist on this PC thats working fine.

I WONT go giving suggestions on altering the reg as its to dangerous when I cant reverse any stuffups. That site does have a reset option / Solution 1 in the control panel, give that a try. (driftwoods suggestion)
    Last edited by wainuitech; 18-09-2016 at 02:48 PM.

Those are not working for me and you say some setting is disabled. I appreciate the time you have taken and I will have a further play around. I found the same thing about the reg settings so gave up

as I am not confident enough in the Reg to alter anything anyway.