Default Load balancing/website sluggish

I'm guessing there are some folks on this site with considerably more server side knowledge than myself. The medium sized company I work for has a staff site that was originally built in-house back in 2002, it's been updated since then but is built mostly on old .net and sql with mostly xhtml4 for the front end. The underlying xhtml, although functional is very amateurish in its build quality which leads me to believe that the .net code is probably just as bad and written very inefficiently. The site is accessed by 150+ staff members every day and is often very sluggish to load during our busy periods which occur in surges during the day depending on customer flow.

My question is; would the built quality of the staff site effect the loading on the server enough to cause regular outages during busy periods?

Cheers,
    Webdevguy.
    Working on a few different projects.

Default Re: Load balancing/website sluggish

Ok... so all those page views and no replies must mean that I was stating the obvious when I asked the question.

Cheers.

Only 150+ on an intranet? If that can be brought to a crawl then everything has to be looked at.

Web server/database hardware and software.

Make more use of client side programming.

You really need to profile it but I am going to assume that caching is not utilised and that there are delays in waiting for the information to be produced.

Where is Metla these days Chilling_Silence's Avatar

150 people even on a site that's relatively image and database heavy should still be snappy even on a slow WAN .

It *shouldn't* cause outages during busy periods, but all it'd take is one shitty design choice with the database, one horribly unoptimised query, one table with the wrong type of index etc and yeah...

You've not really given us much to go by, like is it running on some old single-core P4 that's also doing MS Exchange? Or is it a dual quad-core xeon with 64GB of RAM that is JUST running this website and it's related back-end?

Is it something simple like internal forums? Or is it a massive CRM system?

How big is the database? What kind of HDD is it running on?
    I mostly do Bitcoin & DigiByte things these days, feel free to say hi on Twitter: https://twitter.com/dgb_chilling

Before you ask a question here, or before you get upset by a response, see here:
    http://www.catb.org/~esr/faqs/smart-...ons.html#intro

Quote Originally Posted by Chilling_Silence View Post
    150 people even on a site that's relatively image and database heavy should still be snappy even on a slow WAN .

It *shouldn't* cause outages during busy periods, but all it'd take is one shitty design choice with the database, one horribly unoptimised query, one table with the wrong type of index etc and yeah...

You've not really given us much to go by, like is it running on some old single-core P4 that's also doing MS Exchange? Or is it a dual quad-core xeon with 64GB of RAM that is JUST running this website and it's related back-end?

Is it something simple like internal forums? Or is it a massive CRM system?

How big is the database? What kind of HDD is it running on?
    Unfortunately I can't tell you anything about the database setup or the server setup because I'm not privy to that information. I'm just a minor worker bee in a company that has branches around the country. As someone who writes his own website code I can tell You that our staff site looks like it was written by a total amateur. The staff intranet is "functional" but even on a slow work day it would never be described as being "snappy" when loading pages.

Our intranet has no images, just pages of tables with customer bookings and a database of our stock availability.

Quote Originally Posted by Webdevguy View Post
    ..... I can tell You that our staff site looks like it was written by a total amateur.
    I think you might be answering your own question there...

Quote Originally Posted by bevy121 View Post
    I think you might be answering your own question there...
    I figured as much although it is good to get some input as to what areas of the site or database might be causing the issues.

Where is Metla these days Chilling_Silence's Avatar

Shitty coding basically, the original author likely wouldn't have known about semi-decent SQL queries etc so that's likely a large part of the issue.

There's no reason for it to be "slow" though, look at the likes of Google and Facebook, serving millions of queries every minute. Put together a basic business case to have it looked at based around time lost waiting for it to load etc... X pages per day at Y seconds multipled by number of employees...
    I mostly do Bitcoin & DigiByte things these days, feel free to say hi on Twitter: https://twitter.com/dgb_chilling

Before you ask a question here, or before you get upset by a response, see here:
    http://www.catb.org/~esr/faqs/smart-...ons.html#intro

Quote Originally Posted by Chilling_Silence View Post
    Shitty coding basically, the original author likely wouldn't have known about semi-decent SQL queries etc so that's likely a large part of the issue.

There's no reason for it to be "slow" though, look at the likes of Google and Facebook, serving millions of queries every minute. Put together a basic business case to have it looked at based around time lost waiting for it to load etc... X pages per day at Y seconds multipled by number of employees...
    Will definitely consider doing that, thanks Chillingsilence