Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Question WIFI range extender

Is there a unit that will extend the WIFI range when a house is connected with fibre? I have seen WIFI range extenders that plug into telephone jack points but with fibre copper wire is not used.

The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics
    are always so certain of themselves, but wiser people so full of doubts.

~ Bertrand Russell

Where is Metla these days Chilling_Silence's Avatar

Default Re: WIFI range extender

WiFi range extenders are less than ideal, in all scenarios. They repeat what's already a half-duplex connection, so it more than halves your throughput...

Yes, they'll work with Fibre, they just plug into the power and are connection agnostic (They don't care what's upstream, they just repeat the WiFi), but you'd be better off getting a better router and / or positioning your one better.
    I mostly do Bitcoin & DigiByte things these days, feel free to say hi on Twitter: https://twitter.com/dgb_chilling

Before you ask a question here, or before you get upset by a response, see here:
    http://www.catb.org/~esr/faqs/smart-...ons.html#intro

Where is Metla these days Chilling_Silence's Avatar

I should ask, what make / model router have you currently got ?
    I mostly do Bitcoin & DigiByte things these days, feel free to say hi on Twitter: https://twitter.com/dgb_chilling

Before you ask a question here, or before you get upset by a response, see here:
    http://www.catb.org/~esr/faqs/smart-...ons.html#intro

Quote Originally Posted by Strommer View Post
    Is there a unit that will extend the WIFI range when a house is connected with fibre? I have seen WIFI range extenders that plug into telephone jack points but with fibre copper wire is not used.
    single unit boosters/extenders are usually a complete waste of time.

Powerline wifi kits work very well.
    They plug into the power & send internet through the houses power cables to the slave unit at the other end of the house

Computer Tech

Quote Originally Posted by 1101 View Post
    single unit boosters/extenders are usually a complete waste of time.

Powerline wifi kits work very well.
    They plug into the power & send internet through the houses power cables to the slave unit at the other end of the house
    Agree, if running a cable directly is not an option then Powerline adapters would be the best option.
    Wifi boosters / range extenders never work that well.

I fourth that. Basically running a cable is always the best option, if that is not possible, then try powerline adapters, or if you want service to a different building, you want to setup a proper wireless point to point network with some Ubiquiti equipment, failing any of that a range extender is the very last option, they are flawed by design and never perform very well.
    Microsoft: "You've got questions. We've got dancing paperclips."

Quote Originally Posted by Chilling_Silence View Post
    I should ask, what make / model router have you currently got ?
    It is a NF4V, see here: http://www.netcommwireless.com/produ...t-modem-router

It would be difficult to reposition it somewhere else. It does give good coverage everywhere inside of the house, in the front yard and most of the back yard. The only reason I am enquiring about a range extender is for our guestroom which is at the back of the house, separate from the main house; we will have family staying with us later this year and while the WIFI reaches to the guestroom it is not 100%. In other words, a range extender is not essential but if I could pick one up on eBay for a good price then I may get it.

Thanks everyone for the info regarding a unit that sends WIFI via a home's power lines. I have read about these but did not know they were available. Any idea of the cost? [Edit - Found them on eBay - around $40 to $50+]
    Last edited by Strommer; 12-09-2016 at 05:14 PM.

The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics
    are always so certain of themselves, but wiser people so full of doubts.

~ Bertrand Russell

Quote Originally Posted by Strommer View Post
    Found them on eBay - around $40 to $50+]
    make sure you get a pair (they do come as addon singles) and 1 unit has wifi (some kits dont have wifi, etherent only on the slave end)
    also, make sure it has a NZ plug (ha, ebay, as if) , not some US/UK plug with an adapter that makes it too dodgy for good results

The 1st one I saw in that ebay link, does NOT have wifi despite what the listing says

So, in other words, dont buy these from ebay. It MUST have a NZ plug, it will hang out from the wall too far to be reliable with a UK,US adaptor
    Try PBTech
    Last edited by 1101; 12-09-2016 at 08:48 PM.

I've found the TP-Link TL-WPA4220KIT to be good.
    Microsoft: "You've got questions. We've got dancing paperclips."

The best option is always run an Ethernet cable if you can, if not then look into these other solutions. I'm using marginal Wi-Fi myself until I get around to running a cable after powerline adapters failed to work for me.

The trouble I have with powerline adapters is I need to use a multiboard and they don't work well plugged into those. They work best with a dedicated power point and that can be an issue.
    Some have a pass through power point on them, might be the best option in many cases.

Also they require the 2 power points to be on the same phase and within a certain distance. I have a pair of Ethernet only TP-Link powerline adapters and they work ok to one bedroom, marginally out to the shed, and are incredibly slow and almost unusable to my main bedroom. I find Wi-Fi actually works better even though it's only on 2 bars. My main point is they aren't always a viable solution.
    Ryzen 2700X, 16Gb DDR4RAM, 512GB M.2 NVME SSD, MSI GTX1070