Page 1 of 61 12345678 ... LastLast

Thread: Linux Systems

Default Linux Systems

Ok, like many others I am tiring of Microsoft’s intrusion into everything you do and their collection of data, so the question is: “Which is the best Linux system available today”?

Years ago I tried a couple but gave up when I couldn’t get any to work with a Soft Modem but I guess they’ve come a long way since then and Soft Modems are a thing of the past.

Anyway, I think we have some Linux Users on this forum so what’s the consensus of opinion?

Global Warming is Mann made.
    The government cannot give to anybody anything that the government does not first take from somebody else.

Default Re: Linux Systems

Quote Originally Posted by B.M. View Post
    “Which is the best Linux system available today”?

That's going to cause debate There are so many different Distros that its sometimes impossible to select "which is best". A lot depends on the persons skill level in understanding Linux, and what you want to do with it. Also depends in if you want to go through a whole learning curve again and learn something new, or have something that's very similar to Windows.
    One thing positive about Windows 10 is that there is never a dull moment anymore on ye olde computer

I use both windows & linux.
    They both have their place.
    I find Mint to be the closest to windows.
    Currently using version 18.

Where is Metla these days Chilling_Silence's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by B.M. View Post
    so the question is: “Which is the best Linux system available today”?
    Rookie mistake... That's like asking "Which band makes the best music" :P It's just not gonna end well.

However if you're asking about a distro that would be suited for somebody starting out, perhaps with minimal effort to go to get codecs working etc, then try Linux Mint, which is ubuntu / debian-based.

If you're after Linux for your Cellphone, I would suggest Android.

If you want something that looks similar to Windows, try Zorin OS
    If you want something that looks similar to OSX, try Elementary OS.

No but really, Mint is a good place to start When prompted to choose between Cinnamon or Mate, choose Cinnamon.

Quote Originally Posted by wainuitech View Post
    That's going to cause debate There are so many different Distros that its sometimes impossible to select "which is best". A lot depends on the persons skill level in understanding Linux, and what you want to do with it. Also depends in if you want to go through a whole learning curve again and learn something new, or have something that's very similar to Windows.
    Ok, let’s expand a bit here.

My first computer ran DOS 3.1, and with the exception of Win8 and Win8.1 I’ve run every operating system since. I’m typing this on Win10 Laptop which I run under Classic Shell.

So to clarify, I’m not really interested in going back to a Command Line System, unless it’s a “one Off” for something like setting up a Modem, and I’m not interested in Tapes and Charms etc.

Something along the lines of 98se or XP would be fine.

Then there is the matter of programmes like Ccleaner, VLC Media Player, Media Monkey, Open Office etc. Will they run on Linux or is there an equivalent?

Thanks Driftwood, that’s one vote for Mint.

PS: Thanks Chill that's two for Mint.
    Global Warming is Mann made.
    The government cannot give to anybody anything that the government does not first take from somebody else.

Simple :dont want/like Win10, then downgrade to Win7 . All the programs you want will run on it, and you wont have to learn a new OS
    :-)

annoyed about MS's "collection of data" , then why arnt you worried about every other entities collecting data ?
    ISP's, google, email host's(by law they have to) , TV(yes some TV's) , sky , android (your ph) , many websiites, banks, govt depts, ....the list never ends.

The data MS collect is nothing compared to all the above .

Would an option be a Lin Live CD(or usb) , where Linux runs off the CD , so BM can try it out ?
    or are the live CD's just too slow for a pleasant experience ?

If you have room on the Hard Drive of your laptop.
    Download Mint ISO, write it to a DVD or flash drive.
    Then install it as a dual boot system.
    Then you can try it & still have Win 10.

Well you may have to find something else to use besides Open office soon. Because there are no volunteers to update it, that maybe the end of it

+1 for mint, also I think it even includes some of the software you mentioned.

Most distros including Mint now have some form of package manager which lets you search for and install software easily. Unfortunately if what you want isn't in there you may have to use the command line to add repositories and download and install software, you can usually find clear instructions from google but it still feels like a giant step backwards to me as primarily a windows user.

I'm very impressed with how good current versions of linux are but still personally don't recommend it as the sole OS for an average user. I consider it more of an enthusiast OS for more advanced users. It does all the basic stuff you want from a computer "out of the box" but can rapidly get frustrating for some tasks. And personally I don't like still using command lines for anything.