Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Lost Folder - Help please!!!

Operating Windows10 - stored recipe folder on desktop but kids must have deleted it. Have done a search but hasn't found anything. They may have clicked on empty recycle bin using "shredder" - any hope of finding it ever again?

Default Re: Lost Folder - Help please!!!

Yes, but heres the catch.
    The more you use the computer , the less chance of getting it back :

you need to download & install a data recovery program, however you MUST NOT do this on your PC, as it may overwrite your missing file.
    Its easy if you are setup for this in advance , its tricky if you've never had to do this before

Quote Originally Posted by dianne pierce View Post
    stored recipe folder on desktop but kids must have deleted it.
    I know it's not much help now but NEVER save anything to the desktop.

Make a folder, back it up on a separate hard drive and create a shortcut to the folder for the desktop instead.
    wipe your paws.

You can always try ShadowExplorer Portable Version http://www.shadowexplorer.com/downloads.html Best to download it on another PC as 1101 Suggested, then run it from a USB drive. It looks at the restore points on your computer, run it and see if when looking at the restore points you navigate to the desktop and maybe your folder is there. This is of course as long as it wasn't to long ago, AND system restore is turned on.

Works fine on newer builds than the public W10 14393 (using 14905).
    Update / Upgrades = Replace old bugs with new ones.

Older by the minute

Maybe in the future this might be helpful. My wife stores her recipes on my desktop. I have a dedicated USB for them and photos and the like and copy all those files to the USB and I update it as she adds to the file. I'm afraid that is not helpful for your present situation but could be borne in mind for the future.

Operating Windows10 - stored recipe folder on desktop but kids must have deleted it. Have done a search but hasn't found anything. They may have clicked on empty recycle bin using "shredder" - any hope of finding it ever again?
    Oops, hope you docked their pocket money accordingly........
    If in fact they emptied the bin, well I don't like your chances of getting it back. Not a good idea to save things on the desktop.

LL.
    _____Nothing is hidden that cannot be revealed______

I use Advanced SystemCare, it has an option in the Toolbox for "Undelete" Files.
    When you run it it analyses all those deleted files that have been removed from the Recycle bin.
    You may find it with that tool.
    I use ASC Pro version but it does not say it is only included in the Pro version.
    Of course as others have said it may pay to download and run it from a USB.

You want to be VERY VERY careful installing ANY program or even using the computer if you want to get the data back, as 1101 pointed out

Heres how it works in simple plain English. When you delete something its not actually gone. When you delete something all it does is remove the start/pointer to the File Allocation Table for that file. When this happens the data is still there in its original location until such time as its over written since windows now sees the space as free.

Even formatting a drive wont completely remove data, this is why sometimes you can still recover from formatted drives.

Example. I'll make this up in letters not computer 1's and 0's (example) 1Thisisatestmessage1. (now delete it) Thisisatestmessage1.

Notice the starting 1 has gone, as you can see the rest is still there, windows just cant see it, so if it wanted space when using the computer guess where it may write data

What data recovery programs do is look for these types of files. That's why I suggested the ShadowExplorer, it will look at the restore points on your computer which may include the folder before it was deleted.

If system restore is off you may still be able to recover the data but DONT use the computer. It needs proper software and skill to recover. The longer its left and computer used the less chance of recovering it.
    Last edited by wainuitech; 20-08-2016 at 09:50 AM.
    Update / Upgrades = Replace old bugs with new ones.

Nah can't find it despite all your help but many thanks anyway. I also had the folder saved in "my documents" as well as having a shortcut on the desktop so I don't know what happened. Never had a folder disappear before. Children are only 4 & 5 and were using you tube to play toddler games.

Nah can't find it despite all your help but many thanks anyway. I also had the folder saved in "my documents" as well as having a shortcut on the desktop so I don't know what happened. Never had a folder disappear before. Children are only 4 & 5 and were using you tube to play toddler games.
    Never say die!!!.

Someone on here gave out a good program called Recuva.

Takes awhile to bring up all those deleted files and tells you whether they are overwritten or not.

My deleted file came back just fine.

2 drives and an 1 external, that's why the 4 hour search.

lurking.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Recuva.jpg 
Views:	47 
Size:	95.7 KB 
ID:	7363