Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Default Re: Windows 10 anniversary update

Not even through Group Policy?

Quote Originally Posted by bk T View Post
    Not even through Group Policy?
    While I never done it, apprantly you can do it Via GPedit or a reg alteration. But NOT on Home Editions.

Re Davids Question:

Hi Wainuitech, changed to a local account (without password) disabled antivirus, but still got the same error message when trying to install the update from Windows update. Even rebooted and tried again, no luck. Any other suggestion I could try?
    You'll need a DVD or USB drive with 1151 / 10586 on it, NOT the new version.

You can try running the following DISM command. Open CMD as Admin or Powershell ( as admin) and type in the following:

Dism /Online /Cleanup-Image /RestoreHealth If you get a error message saying it cant find the source, you then need a ISO burnt to either a DVD, or USB drive to make a install media.

Type in Dism /Online /Cleanup-Image /RestoreHealth /Source:wim:E:\Sources\install.wim:1 /limitacces

Where it says Source:wim:E: change the Drive letter to what ever the media is, if its a DVD the the drive letter would often be D but cant put that here as it turns it into a Smilie face

If it still cant find it, you may find you need to change wim to .esd

Note: you may need to look in the file structure on the media, in the sources folder and see if its install.wim or install.esd

Note: when the command runs it will appear to get stuck at 20% this is normal, it will either carry on after a while or error saying it cant find the source.

OR try the other method by using the upgrade Assistant https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/...update-history BUT if the current system has some sort of corruption then it has to be repaired or reinstalled First. OR simply save any data, wipe drive and install Fresh.
    Last edited by wainuitech; 07-08-2016 at 04:30 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by bk T View Post

Can I still disable the automatic update?
    I have set my ethernet connection to metered with a reg tweak. That stops the automatic downloading of updates. Nice.

That is on W10 Pro. I don't know if it works on Home, but it probably does.

Looks like you can stop them by changing unmetered connection to metered

The other annoying thing about the AU update is some sites say it'll install any app it wants to.

If you dont want it you can also use ccleaner / tools / uninstall. And uninstall it like any other program. Since it looks like you cant uninstall some or any of them in the store / your library. It doesnt have the option

It was in my Windows update list, but I notice now that it has been removed. Will just wait to see what happens.

Quote Originally Posted by Speedy Gonzales View Post
    Looks like you can stop them by changing unmetered connection to metered
    Dont be so sure :-)
    MS have , in the past, pushed through some updates & auto-installed them when updates was set to 'notify only' .
    So the history is there, if MS wants something installed on your 10, it may just get pushed through regardless.