Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Question Wrong: "Unfortunately Windows 10 cannot be installed on this PC"

For the last year I have been trying to upgrade our Win7 laptop to Win10. Every time I check the Win10 icon at the bottom of the screen it says something like "Please wait - we will tell you when you can upgrade". The M$ scan did detect that the laptop was OK for Win10. Today the Win10 upgrade says "Unfortunately Windows 10 cannot be installed on this PC", click here to see why.... only to produce a screen that says "You're good to go" showing all components of the laptop are compatible with Win10.

Is there a way to install Win10 in spite of the wrong error message?

To be sure that our laptop is compatible, is there a scan that can be done? I found this page showing how to run an .exe using Command Prompt, but I am not sure if this is the best way.

Thanks.

The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics
    are always so certain of themselves, but wiser people so full of doubts.

~ Bertrand Russell

Default Re: Wrong: "Unfortunately Windows 10 cannot be installed on this PC"

The usual reason for the message is lack of compatible drivers.

Had that the other day, a person had XP, wanted the Computer upgraded to W10, so installed W10 everything ran perfect except it had to use the default W10 graphic Drivers as intel didn't make any for the chipset past XP. Still looked OK.

Doing a upgrade may cause problems as if there are incompatible drivers it could all turn turtle rather quick. What I would do is clone the HDD to another first, or put in a empty HDD and install W10 from fresh using the W7 Key, that way if anything does go upside down at least you'll know.
    Update / Upgrades = Replace old bugs with new ones.

Thanks for the quick reply wainuitech. I will see if I can manage to clone the HD to an external HD, but have not done anything like that for quite awhile.

It just seems strange that M$ gave the: "You're good to go" - showing all components of the laptop are compatible with Win10 (when I clicked to see why it was determined Win10 could not be installed).

Maybe I could try updating drivers? I believe some of the 'update driver' sites or apps are full of malware and other junk.

[edit] I guess the other option is to leave the laptop as Win7. It is SWMBO's laptop and is at least 5 years old.

~ Bertrand Russell

I've installed Win10 on some absolute piece of crap computers and it tends to run better that Vista, 7 or 8 on the equivalent hardware.

Exactly what Wainui said - clone the drive, then try a fresh install. 99% chance it's fine. 5 years is not that old really. AOMEI is a nice free cloning software.
    Microsoft: "You've got questions. We've got dancing paperclips."

Quote Originally Posted by Strommer View Post

Maybe I could try updating drivers? I believe some of the 'update driver' sites or apps are full of malware and other junk.

Please, stay away from those driver update websites & driver update apps
    No point in updating drivers before a Win10 install anyway.

Ive updated 2 dell Win7's that ~couldnt~ be updated to 10.
    They just needed clean Win10 installs, not upgrades. So its a wipe & load 10 from the DVD (download from MS)

Question Re: Wrong: "Unfortunately Windows 10 cannot be installed on this PC"

Quote Originally Posted by wratterus View Post
    I've installed Win10 on some absolute piece of crap computers and it tends to run better that Vista, 7 or 8 on the equivalent hardware.

Exactly what Wainui said - clone the drive, then try a fresh install. 99% chance it's fine. 5 years is not that old really. AOMEI is a nice free cloning software.
    Thanks wratterus. I will give AOMEI a try.

Quote Originally Posted by 1101 View Post
    Please, stay away from those driver update websites & driver update apps
    No point in updating drivers before a Win10 install anyway.

Ive updated 2 dell Win7's that ~couldnt~ be updated to 10.
    They just needed clean Win10 installs, not upgrades. So its a wipe & load 10 from the DVD (download from MS)
    If I understand you correctly, I should wipe the laptop drive (how? 'Eraser'?) and then use a DVD via a MS download - I assume that the Product Key on our Win7 laptop will work to install Win10?

Our Win7 laptop is an i3 , 2.27 Mhz , 4 Gb RAM, 6 years old - time flies, seems like only 3 or 4 years that we got it.

~ Bertrand Russell

You don't need to 'wipe' the drive - when you boot up off the Win10 USB/DVD install that you'll create from here, just delete all the partitions on the drive. That will be fine for what you need.

When you install 10, choose the right version, (home or pro, depending on what the COA on your laptop says) and then once it's installed, go to activation, type in your Win7 product key and away you go. It should just activate.

Quote Originally Posted by wratterus View Post
    When you install 10, choose the right version, (home or pro, depending on what the COA on your laptop says) and then once it's installed, go to activation, type in your Win7 product key and away you go. It should just activate.
    You can use the W7 key when installing as well, it then automatically picks up what version it is. if for some reason the key is refused at this point, then it wont accept later on either. So you would have to do an upgrade from W7 to W10 then fresh install once the motherboard is activated.

Once W10 has been activated for the first time you don't need a key any more if you wish to reinstall fresh, just select the correct version as Wratterus described, and when its online it will auto activate.
    Update / Upgrades = Replace old bugs with new ones.

Good point.

SUCCESS ! Or at least I thought so...

Going to the MS site to download an ISO for a DVD of Win10 installation, I noticed an EXE install Win10 file so I downloaded it and gave it a try. It ran OK and determined that the laptop was in fact compatible - except that there was not enough C drive space. Previously this was not reported.

I fiddled with Eausus but could not figure out how to extend C drive, so I downloaded and used AOMEI to increase C drive capacity. Running Win10 installer again, all was fine and it downloaded and installed everything without problem. I opted for Custom features and turned off most of the items that would send data to M$ and other places. All good... so far.

Opened Edge browser (figured it would be easiest to run) and the internet and websites were all OK. MS Word runs OK and Word documents open OK.

The PROBLEM is that File Explorer does not work. When a folder is clicked on it stalls with "Not Responding" and after awhile it reverts to a the normal desktop. I went to CHKDISK and am running it now on both C drive and a partition where data (files, folders, photos) is kept - although CHKDSK (or whatever Win10 calls it) states that there are no errors. I have rebooted the laptop.

So while I have not bricked SWMBO's laptop it seems as though I may have to wipe the drive and do a clean install.

Any suggestions are welcome.
    Last edited by Strommer; 22-07-2016 at 07:10 PM. Reason: AOMEI spelling

~ Bertrand Russell