Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Lightbulb Windows 10,7? Which are best? Should i upgrade?

Hello everyone,

So as i'm sure you all know by the end of this month (29 of july) to be exact the Windows 10 free update offer ends. To anyone that is not aware of what that is: "It's an optional free update to Windows 10 for all previous Windows owners."
    So i have this theory but i have no idea if it would work! i'm currently using Windows 7, the reasons i don't want to update yet are:
    1. I'm used to the current version so why bother learning the new one?
    2. It still runs without any major issues and even if i ever occur a problem there are plenty of solutions out by now.
    3. Even though Windows 7 came with my Pc and i have the (product key) i am not allowed to download the software from the official Windows page into a usb.(I discovered that trying to perform a format so i needed them downloaded to a usb) so i can't go back if i update.

Now i want to ask:
    1. Should i give up with windows 7 and finally upgrade no matter the cost?(taking under consideration that the Pc is used for my Work and partially for gamming).
    2. Is there any way to have both Windows versions into two different usb's so i could go back if anything went wrong?

i'm curious to read your guys opinion on it,
    it will be greatly appreciated.

Default Re: Windows 10,7? Which are best? Should i upgrade?

I see no reason not to upgrade. You can also roll back for a month after the upgrade if you really can't live with it.

You definitely can reinstall 7 on the old machine, assuming you have the right install media and a legitimate key.
    Microsoft: "You've got questions. We've got dancing paperclips."

Windows 10 being incompatible with Windows Media Centre cuts me out of upgrading on my Desktop machine, but Win 10 seems to run fine on two Laptops.

Not sure of what else doesn’t run on Win 10 and I guess I’m not likely to find out on my Desktop which has a lot more programmes than the Laptops.
    Global Warming is Mann made.

Do not regret growing older. It is a privilege denied to many.
    The problems we face today are because the people who work for a living are now outnumbered by those who vote for a living.

Like you I waited to the end before upgrading - have just done it and it works great. I read various horror stories on line about Adobe Premiere Pro CS6 working with Windows 10 and was prepared for the worst. But for me it re-installed just fine

I have a desktop machine and a couple of things are annoying in Windows 10. The interface for Media Player is one of them. The slightest movement of the mouse brings up controls on the bottom 25% of the screen. I guess it's made for touchscreen where it is easy not to touch. With a desktop it's hard not to move the mouse.

Fortunately the media player MPC-HC doesn't do this (and is the best media player anyway
    Ryzen 7 1700 @ stock, EVO 960 500GB M.2 NVMe, G-Skill 2 x 16GB @ 2.4GHz,
    GA-AB350N-Gaming Wifi (mITX), EVGA GTX970. Media player: i7-6700k

Computer Tech

If you don't want to upgrade right now I would grab an old HDD and chuck it in the machine and do a fresh install of Windows 10 and activate it using your Windows 7 / 8 key from the COA sticker on the case.
    That way your machine will have the digital entitlement license assigned to so you will be able to install Windows 10 again in the future without paying for it, even after 29th July has passed.
    Remove old HDD and plug in the original to go back to working on your preferred system.

Quote Originally Posted by CYaBro View Post
    If you don't want to upgrade right now I would grab an old HDD and chuck it in the machine and do a fresh install of Windows 10 and activate it using your Windows 7 / 8 key from the COA sticker on the case.
    That way your machine will have the digital entitlement license assigned to so you will be able to install Windows 10 again in the future without paying for it, even after 29th July has passed.
    Remove old HDD and plug in the original to go back to working on your preferred system.
    Got several customers I've done exactly what CYaBro posted, so in August then I'll be saving all their data, wiping drives and installing from fresh using the New W10 Redstone 1.

ME included -- Got a new PC all built ready to go, but I'd rather do a fresh install than an upgrade , its currently got W10 on it using a W7 Key, all activated, BUT before being put into use, I'm waiting till the next edition in August, then will be wiping the drive and doing a fresh install from that.

3. Even though Windows 7 came with my Pc and i have the (product key) i am not allowed to download the software from the official Windows page into a usb.(I discovered that trying to perform a format so i needed them downloaded to a usb) so i can't go back if i update.
    Thats a little odd As long as the Key is legit then you should be able to download W7. Where it may fail is if its the OEM key on the computer ( name brand PC) sometimes they wont be recognized until they have been activated. If the Key was a Name Brand Factory installed key they don't work.

Well the fact you run a business off the same computer you game on to me is a real no no. A business should have its own dedicated computer and backup regime.

Other than that Win 10 is fine I have had it on 2 desktops since quite early in the piece.

I said "upgraded" but I meant fresh install. (I'm inclined to think OP should upgrade rather than fresh install unless getting a professional to do it). I used a USB3 stick in a USB3 port because neither MB nor case has USB2 ports.

Well, it totally killed the boot. No signal to the monitor on HDMI or DVI, no beeps, just hung forever

I used the same USB3 stick in a USB2 MB header + fly-lead and it booted fine.

The BIOS can access a USB2 stick in a USB3 port because I've saved screenshots of BIOS. It's just USB3 stick/USB3 port that doesn't work

I admit I don't have the latest BIOS. But Sept 2015 is quite recent. (And I don't remember any USB improvements being mentioned in the latest BIOS)
    Ryzen 7 1700 @ stock, EVO 960 500GB M.2 NVMe, G-Skill 2 x 16GB @ 2.4GHz,
    GA-AB350N-Gaming Wifi (mITX), EVGA GTX970. Media player: i7-6700k

I have upgraded 2 PC's and a laptop to W10 but I prefer the Windows 7 layout so I put Classic Start Menu on all of them, so looks like Windows 7 but is running Windows 10.
    Its easy to switch from one to the other if needed.

Quote Originally Posted by gary67 View Post
    Well the fact you run a business off the same computer you game on to me is a real no no. A business should have its own dedicated computer and backup regime.
    Why? I used my gaming PC for the business. Why would I need 2?
    I backed up all the time. Silly idea to have another PC just to keep invoices and accounts etc on it.

Also...as another opinion, I decided not to go with Win10 and remian on Win7.

In future I doubt I'll have a PC as such, at all.
    wipe your paws.