Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Remote Access

Default Re: Remote Access

Just get over it and realise that passwords are fundamentally flawed

You can tell me your password and I can be you, more importantly, from anywhere in the world

TV supports 2 factor authentication (2FA) just turn it on and get on with your life. Then as well as stealing your username and password the baddies will need to steal something you have, your phone

Turn it on all your accounts Google, Amazon, Microsoft and so on

Theres also chrome remote desktop which is pretty bare bone but gets the job done.
    | Intel i5 2500k @ 4.5Ghz | Hyper 212 evo CPU cooler | Corsair vengance 12gb 1600Mhz | EVGA 1070 FTW | 60gb SSD + 500gb SSD + 2x WD black 1tb HDD | Asus P8Z68-V/GEN3 | Corsair AX850w | Corsair 600t white |

Quote Originally Posted by 1101 View Post
    Some of those hacked have admitted their email had been compromised (when they later checked that , https://haveibeenpwned.com/)
    1101, thanks for that site. Of the 4 email sites I use, only one has been "pwned" and that's GMail and probably why I can't logon to their site. Bl**dy Google, bit like their Chrome ISP, no longer assisting this poor old XP work horse with upgrades.

lurking.

Some of those hacked have admitted their email had been compromised (when they later checked that , https://haveibeenpwned.com/)
    Thanks for that link, found two of our email addresses on that site so changed all email passwords last night.

I had no idea that site even existed.

Quote Originally Posted by Lurking View Post
    1101, thanks for that site. Of the 4 email sites I use, only one has been "pwned" and that's GMail and probably why I can't logon to their site. Bl**dy Google, bit like their Chrome ISP, no longer assisting this poor old XP work horse with upgrades.

lurking.
    The fact that Google are no longer updating Chrome should be a massive single to you to either upgrade your OS or disconnect your XP machine from the Internet forever.

Quote Originally Posted by nmercer View Post
    The fact that Google are no longer updating Chrome should be a massive single to you to either upgrade your OS or disconnect your XP machine from the Internet forever.
    Because a modern OS will run so well on a PC that could be 9 - 15 years old.

Where is Metla these days Chilling_Silence's Avatar

There have been rumours about this for a few months now. I have to wonder how much is FUD, how much is people re-using passwords on other sites as well.
    Could be that people are getting hacked via other ways then just blaming TV .
    Could be just simple brute force attacks on TV with 4 digit password.

And how safe is "NoMachine" or any other remote access program ?
    Because that's all that TeamViewer Support were doing, is throwing your email in there and 100% presuming you *had* re-used your password. There's a number of instances throughout in the comments where there are people saying they didn't reuse passwords, including a friend of mine that this happened to. He uses KeePass or LastPass or something which generates him a random one for each, he still got pwnd.

NoMachine supports 2FA and has limitations around how many attempts that you can make, only difference is they've not had a major outbreak of users getting pwnd... ever?

Just get over it and realise that passwords are fundamentally flawed

You can tell me your password and I can be you, more importantly, from anywhere in the world

TV supports 2 factor authentication (2FA) just turn it on and get on with your life. Then as well as stealing your username and password the baddies will need to steal something you have, your phone

Turn it on all your accounts Google, Amazon, Microsoft and so on
    Already have it on my Google / Facebook / Github etc, but there's a bunch of people who had it on for TeamViewer and also still suffered at the hands of this attack. This isn't just a "Password" issue according to the users affected, that's just the story that TeamViewer are maintaining.

Either way, I personally wouldn't even risk it, the juice just isn't worth the squeeze.
    I mostly do Bitcoin & DigiByte things these days, feel free to say hi on Twitter: https://twitter.com/dgb_chilling

Before you ask a question here, or before you get upset by a response, see here:
    http://www.catb.org/~esr/faqs/smart-...ons.html#intro

Quote Originally Posted by Lurking View Post
    Bl**dy Google, bit like their Chrome ISP, no longer assisting this poor old XP work horse with upgrades.

lurking.
    on XP..
    Use Firefox on XP . Add some adware blockers to it :ghostery,adaware(with popup blocker addon)
    Then uninstall flash & java

I use a system slightly different but very useful, so for it's worth:
    I have Logitech security cams and they feed live pix to the Logitech web site which I can access from anywhere at any time.
    AFAIK one can also set up up to advise of cams being triggered but have never used that facility, but to view live - brilliant.
    Have often used when visiting OZ
    Cheers
    The floggings will continue until morale improves.
    No keyboard detected. Press F1 to continue.

Whaaaat, this is the workhorse round here and I know MS keeps telling moi to upgrade it, rofl,.

Laptop has 8.1 and covers the screen with those "bleep" apps.

Wifey's W10 desktop was the same with apps scattered every which way, but has been put back to W7 front screen.

Unfortunately this pc is also the "control centre" for the other two, but one day we will look at re-organizing the whole setup.

lurking.