Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Remote Access

Default Remote Access

Ok guys and gals, here is another little problem I’d like your opinions on.

I travel a bit and as “Murphy” would have it, I often want, or need, something that is on my main computer, but not on my laptop which I have with me.

OK, my main computer runs 24/7 and in turn runs my security system which sends me photos via E-Mail of any activity within the premises.

Now what I am looking for is the best way to access this Main/Home computer from overseas, and, for instance, E-Mail myself a photo.

I think Teamviewer may be able to do this, but I’m keen to know your thoughts.

Global Warming is Mann made.
    The problems we face today are because the people who work for a living are now outnumbered by those who vote for a living.

I take no responsibility for the accuracy of any media links I quote.

Default Re: Remote Access

Teamviewer can and works quite well. I have my own server so not really an issue for me

Teamviewer is probably the easiest way, no problems with dynamic IP's etc that way.
    I store all my stuff on a NAS and there's a web page that let's me log in remotely and access it which is a standard feature on many NASes so I can get at all my files that way.
    Plus I shut my PC down when I'm not home and the NAS only uses a few watts at most.
    Ryzen 2700X, 16Gb DDR4RAM, 512GB M.2 NVME SSD, MSI GTX1070

+1 for Teamviewer. I've used it from NZ to Aus with no problems. You can also send/receive files with it as well.

Where is Metla these days Chilling_Silence's Avatar

Do *not* go TeamViewer! Major controversy there, they're trying their hardest to say they've not been hacked, but to be honest at this point why risk it?
    EDIT: Link: https://www.reddit.com/r/technology/comments/4m7ay6/_/

Use NoMachine, it's the fastest you can get, use it all the time for accessing my own stuff. It's also the only thing that wasn't abysmal with a 4K monitor!
    Last edited by Chilling_Silence; 06-06-2016 at 11:05 AM.
    I mostly do Bitcoin & DigiByte things these days, feel free to say hi on Twitter: https://twitter.com/dgb_chilling

Before you ask a question here, or before you get upset by a response, see here:
    http://www.catb.org/~esr/faqs/smart-...ons.html#intro

If you have W10 Pro, ( or any modern OS W7 Pro Onwards) you can simply use the inbuilt remote desktop. Takes a bit of setting up, and adding some ports to the port forwarding in your router, but works good. The host PC ( at home) must be pro, the other PC can be either home or Pro.

The third party programs like Teamviewer, NoMachine etc just take the setting up out of it, ( look at it as as lazy none technical way)

What if you use the free version and don't have a TV account? Is that still problematic?

Looking at nomachine as we speak!

Mmm, doesn't look like nomachine can connect to anybody just yet. Looks like it needs an IP no. to connect to ATM. 'From there to anywhere' still under development.

A remote desktop solution for simple file access is a bit of overkill, no?
    A small ssh server (running on a non-standard port to avoid most of the bots) with key-based access gives you secure access from anywhere with an sftp client (can windows explorer do that yet?)

Quote Originally Posted by Chilling_Silence View Post
    Do *not* go TeamViewer! Major controversy there, they're trying their hardest to say they've not been hacked, but to be honest at this point why risk it?
    EDIT: Link: https://www.reddit.com/r/technology/comments/4m7ay6/_/

Use NoMachine, it's the fastest you can get, use it all the time for accessing my own stuff. It's also the only thing that wasn't abysmal with a 4K monitor!
    http://www.theregister.co.uk/2016/06...s_up_security/
    "Speaking directly to The Register and in announcements to customers, TeamViewer has denied that the crime spree is due to any compromise of its own servers. Rather, it claims, the victims of the attacks had reused their TeamViewer login passwords on other websites that have been breached, such as LinkedIn and Tumblr. Armed with copies of those leaked passwords and email addresses, TeamViewer claims, thieves then log into people's TeamViewer accounts and access connected PCs."

There have been rumours about this for a few months now. I have to wonder how much is FUD, how much is people re-using passwords on other sites as well.
    Some of those hacked have admitted their email had been compromised (when they later checked that , https://haveibeenpwned.com/)
    Could be that people are getting hacked via other ways then just blaming TV .
    Could be just simple brute force attacks on TV with 4 digit password.

And how safe is "NoMachine" or any other remote access program ?
    Last edited by 1101; 07-06-2016 at 10:02 AM.