Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Exclamation Laptop crashing network

Good to see this forum still going strong - I used to be an PF1 addict over a decade ago but have now forgotten my old username so here with a new account now!

I have recently returned from overseas with my Asus laptop which worked fine on my old TP-Link modem router overseas. However, since returning home, the laptop has been crashing the modem router at home (also TP-Link, but this one's model is TD-W8968). Regardless of whether I connect by wifi or LAN cable, the internet would drop out along with all other connections (irrespective of whether they are connected by wifi or LAN cable)

The only temporary fix I've found is by resetting the IP addresses, through cmd > ipconfig /release > ipconfig /renew . This re-establishes the connection for everyone but only for about 10 minutes before it disconnects again - it's incredibly frustrating! If my Asus laptop is disconnected, then the whole network goes fine.

I've been Googling hard for a fix and have found this https://community.spiceworks.com/top...ifi-connection but my laptop is not a Lenovo. I have used this laptop at home before, albeit on a different TP-Link router.

We have a couple of computers, iPads, phones and TV connected on the network but I'm not sure its network overload as it all goes well if my Asus laptop is not connected.

My brother also tells me that the same thing sometimes happens (but not as often) when he connects to his work laptop (Toshiba) to the network, and particularly if he is connected into work VPN.

Can anyone help me fix this? Thanks heaps!

Default Re: Laptop crashing network

Do you use a static IP? if so it could be conflicting with the network, particularly if it's the same IP as the router itself.
    Does it happen immediately or is it an intermittent thing ?
    Ryzen 2700X, 16Gb DDR4RAM, 512GB M.2 NVME SSD, MSI GTX1070

No, not a static IP, happens almost immediately, within 10 minutes (give or take) of connecting to network. Cheers

Computer Tech

Not running any torrent software on your Asus are you?

Look in event viewer see what that says then copy and paste it in here

Is the firmware on the tplink up to date? Altho the site for the router is dead atm

More details on the laptop would help.

Is the firmware for the router up to date? if it is, maybe it needs to be out of date, sometimes firmwire issues can cause this.

The fact that it happens when both wired or wireless from the laptop, means something on your laptop is causing it.

I would install a firewall on the laptop and block every internet activity, just to see if you remain connected to the network.

I would then review every outgoing connection that wanted the internet, asking here for advice on what some of the unfamiliar programs are is advised.

If any of the outgoing is a high priority QoS it can drop a whole network for its demands. Maybe turn QoS off in the router or set this up properly or uninstall not needed programs.

Quote Originally Posted by CYaBro View Post
    Not running any torrent software on your Asus are you?
    No, no torrents on either my Asus or my brother's Toshiba work laptop.

Quote Originally Posted by Kame View Post
    More details on the laptop would help.

Is the firmware for the router up to date? if it is, maybe it needs to be out of date, sometimes firmwire issues can cause this.

The fact that it happens when both wired or wireless from the laptop, means something on your laptop is causing it.

I would install a firewall on the laptop and block every internet activity, just to see if you remain connected to the network.

I would then review every outgoing connection that wanted the internet, asking here for advice on what some of the unfamiliar programs are is advised.

If any of the outgoing is a high priority QoS it can drop a whole network for its demands. Maybe turn QoS off in the router or set this up properly or uninstall not needed programs.
    Update - I found that the Asus laptop couldn't even connect to the network via wifi, only cable, but then it would crash the network. I upgraded the router firmware which didn't help. Then uninstalled McAfee which came installed with the laptop when purchased. Connection all clear and stable now. Laptop now able to connect to network and internet via wifi without causing issue for other connections.

Anyone know why this might be happening? Is there something I can tweak to McAfee settings so that it doesn't cause issues for the computer it's installed on and/or the rest of the network?

Thanks

McAfee is not popular around here so the most likely advice you'll get is to delete it altogether.

Maybe it's trying to update or scanning all the shared network drives or something, see if you can manually download the latest definitions and see if it's set to scan network drives.

double post