Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Internet Connection

Hi All,

I am in a rest home for a month till it is sorted where I will live.

The problem. This place is not set up for access in any room. At the moment I am connected to their server as a "Guest" but still using our normal address after connecting to the internet.

If I get to stay here permanently our house will be sold & the phone & broadband will finish. How then can I connect to the internet if I don't have extra as our ISP.

The owners are willing for me to piggy back their system, but how to keep us apart as I wont have an extra account.

Any ideas? Thanks. PJ
    Deafness.
    When I was younger I heard but didn't listen.
    Now I am older, I listen but cannot hear.

If it is not broke, don't make it broker by trying to make it better. (This applies specifically to PJ)

Default Re: Internet Connection

You may have to talk to your ISP and see what they can do.

I have a customer who moved house a while back, she's living with her daughter and husband in a flat out back of their place, and she's got her previous account for her Internet and the daughter has her own as well, same physical address, and same phone number, some how they do get charged differently.

Surely a rest home has subbed to an unlimited data plan? What exactly do you need from your current ISP? just your email access? you can move that. Or maybe pay for an email only account. I know Vodafone charge $5 for an email only access account.
    Last edited by apsattv; 05-06-2016 at 08:52 AM.
    NZ Digital TV Forum, Freeview NZ , etc
    http://www.nzdtv.com/

I note you mention you wanted the internet which you would have by being a guest on the rest home network.
    I also presume by "guest" that you are using wifi.

What else are you after as you will get the internet without any ISP involvement.

The only other thing I guess is if you use an ISP email address e.g. "xxxx@xtra.co.nz" then you can generally retain that email address for a monthly fee, check with your ISP.

When I changed to a hotmail.co.nz address from xtra.co.nz I advised everyone of the change and updated any systems I logged into like my bank, power company and insurance etc
    I personally prefer using a third party email address like outlook.co.nz or gmail.com so that when/if you change ISP's you dont have to continually keep advising everyone of your change of address.

Quote Originally Posted by Jedsdad View Post
    I note you mention you wanted the internet which you would have by being a guest on the rest home network.
    I also presume by "guest" that you are using wifi.

What else are you after as you will get the internet without any ISP involvement.

The only other thing I guess is if you use an ISP email address e.g. "xxxx@xtra.co.nz" then you can generally retain that email address for a monthly fee, check with your ISP.

When I changed to a hotmail.co.nz address from xtra.co.nz I advised everyone of the change and updated any systems I logged into like my bank, power company and insurance etc
    I personally prefer using a third party email address like outlook.co.nz or gmail.com so that when/if you change ISP's you dont have to continually keep advising everyone of your change of address.

The last two lines look interesting, it is access to email thatis most important to me. PJ
    Deafness.

If it is not broke, don't make it broker by trying to make it better. (This applies specifically to PJ)

Another question. If I get to stay here permanently, my room is a long way from the wifi modem. Down that end of the building I usually get one signal bar. Two if I am lucky.

My Question... How can I increase the signal strength to my room from my end & not doing anything to the Lodge computer system. Thanks. PJ
    Deafness.

Hi again...How can I log MY usage so that I can pay the Lodge each month. At the moment I am the only user & she won't let me pay anything. But I want to. Thanks. PJ
    Deafness.

PJ, I’m wondering if a “T” stick and sim card might be your best bet?

I’m in Aus at the moment and have just topped up my Telstra one, $50 for 5GB, and 12 months to use it.

However, have a talk to your present ISP and see what they can offer. 1GB of data goes quite a long way if you’re only doing E-Mails and browsing, but your previous usage should give you some idea.
    Global Warming is Mann made.
    The problems we face today are because the people who work for a living are now outnumbered by those who vote for a living.

I take no responsibility for the accuracy of any media links I quote.

Ok...I contacted xtra & I can keep account for Email name only for $20 a month. Not bad you might say. But I only get $42 per week, $168 per month. $48 to visit doctors+ two taxis, plus soap etc, sanitary pads, yes I will get by. Warm dry & fed. No complaints. Think frugal John.

Xtra lady sais to try Google & Hotmail

Which is the best of them & why. Thanks. PJ
    Deafness.

Gmail is really good but so is Outlook, depends on who you trust most Google or microsoft, I have both and their isn't anything to choose between them