Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Wanderer

Default Mac - some features that they don't have.

I am posting here as it seems to be non-techy. A family member just had to get a used Macbook Pro and new ones are too expensive.

Well I am guessing to get a similar unit like the MBP you would need to spend around $2k for an equiv. Windows laptop to get the sleek aluminum finish etc. On top of that the mouse is very smooth etc, glossy screen that that layman person enjoys and it's an IPS and nice size keyboard.

But ... why are there no HDMI port on the unit? Ditto, no page up and down on the keyboard? No line in or microphone port? Is that the common person generally don't use those functions? I know you can get a thunderbolt adaptor to enable the video port but that is an extra thing to carry around esp if you are visiting clients or going into meeting rooms etc or visiting friends / family. On a similar note, the current models the RAM are soldered onto the mainboard, again does the common (Mac and Windows) person don't upgrade RAM and hold it for 3 or 4yrs and get a new one?

Also regarding the Apple iPads. I know both Apple and Android tablets are consumer devices - some select model Androids do have Miracast though. It should be fairly common if one wants to share photographs and videos on their device to friends and family the Apple devices requires Apple TV (or Google Chromecast). So if one was to visit friends and family they need to cart along a Apple TV or do they upload it on the web and use something else to view it?

Default Re: Mac - some features that they don't have.

Line in is the headphone socket

It's the nature of apple devices based on their design philosophy. They decide for you what features are worth having and that's what you get. Also it's intended that you will only connect other apple peripherals so in Apples mind there is no need for other connection standards. If you can connect other branded peripherals at all feel lucky that apple have deigned to allow it.

They make great hardware and the rigid control of it and the software allow them to ensure a consistant reliable experience etc - but the downside is you are stuck with the issues you mention. You also pay a premium for their hardware, sometimes referred to as the "Apple tax". Comparable hardware from other manufacturers has usually been cheaper but the gap has narrowed especially with premium products.
    Ryzen 2700X, 16Gb DDR4RAM, 512GB M.2 NVME SSD, MSI GTX1070

With Apple, they have 100% control over the hardware & OS. So you know exactly what you are getting : should be no surprises

With PC/Win : its a crap shoot as to what you actually get.
    Most brand name PC manufacturers add there own flavour to the OS, by literally bogging it down with pre-installed crapware, by giving the Hard drive
    up to 6 (yes 6) partitions instead of 2 (causing issues later) , putting god knows what hardware in there, using non standard components for no good reason .
    Why would any engineer/designer think its a good idea to use non standard SATA connectors , ie design a new connector not used on any other system except that 1 PC .

And in 1 case , a major PC brand actually had malware pre-installed : they get paid to let other companies preload crap on them.
    Some famous name PC manufactures have zero regard for customers internet safety, as they usually disable the Win/MS AV & firewall & preload a 30 day demo of McAfee or Symantec . Ive seen plenty of PC's with no working AV simply because the preloaded AV expired after 30days .

Thats one of the big plus points for MAC, none of the above nonsense
    Last edited by 1101; 24-05-2016 at 09:28 AM.

I agree with Macs - laptop or desktop, being over priced in the NZ market in comparison to the US or Australian market. Unfortunately that's what happens when you live here. That is also why I picked up my 15" MacBook Pro in San Francisco back March for about $700 cheaper than I could have purchased it here.

Quote Originally Posted by 1101 View Post
    Thats one of the big plus points for MAC, none of the above nonsense
    Also a plus for Surface - mine came with Windows, Skype and a trial of Office - only.
    "He who resorts to personal insults hath lost the argument."

Twitter

Computer Tech

Quote Originally Posted by Nomad View Post
    I am posting here as it seems to be non-techy. A family member just had to get a used Macbook Pro and new ones are too expensive.

Well I am guessing to get a similar unit like the MBP you would need to spend around $2k for an equiv. Windows laptop to get the sleek aluminum finish etc. On top of that the mouse is very smooth etc, glossy screen that that layman person enjoys and it's an IPS and nice size keyboard.

But ... why are there no HDMI port on the unit? Ditto, no page up and down on the keyboard? No line in or microphone port? Is that the common person generally don't use those functions? I know you can get a thunderbolt adaptor to enable the video port but that is an extra thing to carry around esp if you are visiting clients or going into meeting rooms etc or visiting friends / family. On a similar note, the current models the RAM are soldered onto the mainboard, again does the common (Mac and Windows) person don't upgrade RAM and hold it for 3 or 4yrs and get a new one?

Also regarding the Apple iPads. I know both Apple and Android tablets are consumer devices - some select model Androids do have Miracast though. It should be fairly common if one wants to share photographs and videos on their device to friends and family the Apple devices requires Apple TV (or Google Chromecast). So if one was to visit friends and family they need to cart along a Apple TV or do they upload it on the web and use something else to view it?

Which MacBook Pro are you talking about?
    They all have HDMI, unless it is a really old model that has mini displayport instead.

You can use an apple mouse // keyboard / wireless trackpad etc in windows.

All you have to do is get the right version of bootcamp (for the version of windows (I think the later versions only work with 64 bit),you're using.

Extract it the files for it are in it
    Last edited by Speedy Gonzales; 24-05-2016 at 07:45 PM.

Wanderer

Quote Originally Posted by CYaBro View Post
    Which MacBook Pro are you talking about?
    They all have HDMI, unless it is a really old model that has mini displayport instead.
    Version 8.1. Was told no mini display port that needs thunderbolt converter too.

Pretends to know things

Edit. Answered in the above response. Should have user replaceable RAM however...
    Last edited by icow; 29-05-2016 at 08:57 PM.