Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: New ISP

Smile New ISP

Hi all.
    Getting my lappy updated to a SSD soon and was thinking about upgrading wifi to the AC band.
    My sparky modem is dual band, but been having so many problems with the fiber thinking about moving when contact expires in September.
    Any ideas on a good reliable ISP, hopefully with AC modems, cause cant afford to buy one?
    Thanks,
    Ian

Default Re: New ISP

The AC modem has nothing to do with it, that's within the house not what the ISP provides

If you use AC adapters at home they'll use it. If you use Wireless B/G on the computers they'll go at G or N speed, when they're connected to the modem

Smile Re: New ISP

Thanks Speedy.
    Okay understand that, now can anyone suggest a good reliable ISP with good speeds etc?
    We have terrible problems with buffering and that endless circle.
    Think it's trying to hypnotize us, or something.
    Goes round and round and round, etc, no connection like...

Which provider do you currently use.

Quote Originally Posted by Driftwood View Post
    Which provider do you currently use.
    Currently with Sparky.
    Been with NZ POst Office/Telecom now Sparky for over 40 years.
    Woked with Post Office/Telecom for about 25 years.
    Be hard to leave, but been trying to get this resolved since about October last year.

Quote Originally Posted by ianhnz View Post
    Currently with Sparky.
    Been with NZ POst Office/Telecom now Sparky for over 40 years.
    Woked with Post Office/Telecom for about 25 years.
    Be hard to leave, but been trying to get this resolved since about October last year.
    A LOT has to do with your location, the state of the lines, amount of usage etc. Sometimes it doesn't matter who your ISP is, if the location cant get a certain speed, reliability then it wont matter.

See who your neighbors are with and what sort of speeds they get.

Like today, at a persons place, their internet speed (if you can even call it that) was SLOWER than Dialup most of the time. When discussing the connection I was told the whole area is exactly the same.

They are with Spark, but their neighbors and friends all with different ISP's, ALL having the same problem. Most of the time during the weekends its not even worth while going on the internet so they said, I did a slow test ( wont insult it by calling it anything else), it topped out at 0.09 (Thats not a typo either). I was trying to download a 63MB printer install, didn't happen.

He said his was a fibre connection, WT.

Quote Originally Posted by linw View Post
    He said his was a fibre connection, WT.
    Missed that the original post the text is very small and don't have my glasses on.

BUT again doesn't really matter -- heard horror stories from many people who have fibre, different ISP's, and rubbish service. All the ISP's use the same fibre line, which goes back to my original comment "See who your neighbors are with and what sort of speeds they get."

Theres a guy down the road from me who is on the same plan I have with Vodafone cable, on the rare occasion theres a sustained problem he contacts me to see if I'm getting the same - its a good cross reference.

Quote Originally Posted by ianhnz View Post
    We have terrible problems with buffering and that endless circle.
    is this buffering on online vids ?
    Im with spark & I have the buffering issue with online/streaming video, except for youtube, that works perfectly (now that they fixed there issue with that)

Where is Metla these days Chilling_Silence's Avatar

Doesn't matter if it's YouTube, Facebook, Vimeo, Twitch.tv, you should be able to stream 2-3mbps easily for a 720p video. If you can't, there's something *horribly* horribly wrong...
    I mostly do Bitcoin & DigiByte things these days, feel free to say hi on Twitter: https://twitter.com/dgb_chilling

Before you ask a question here, or before you get upset by a response, see here:
    http://www.catb.org/~esr/faqs/smart-...ons.html#intro