Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Angry Looks like I am forced to instal W10 upgrade

Hi. I'm running W7x64 Ultimate SP1. I now have an update to be installed and it is the W10 Upgrade. I do not want to have W10. I have it on another harddrive.
    Sitting on the Shut Down tab is the Update Icon. I have gone into Windows Updates and there is no way I can see to stop this upgrade to W10: W10 is going to be installed whether I want it or not if I click to Shut Down my computer. Only thing I can do is cold kill my computer with the Power button or the switch on computer PSU.
    Anyone know of another option I can use to get around this forced W10 instal to my computer?
    I had Windows Updates set to 'Download updates but let me choose whether to instal them'...it appears that I am being over-ridden by MS.
    Thanks in advance.

Gigabyte GA-MA74GM-S2..AMD Athlon II X64 630...4GB Dual Channel DDR2 800MHz..Onboard Graphics: ATI Radeon 2100 (Microsoft Corporation - WDDM) Cooler Master 650W PSU
    Last edited by kioti; 07-05-2016 at 04:50 PM.

Default Re: Looks like I am forced to instal W10 upgrade

Try this
    http://www.windowscentral.com/how-us...ing-windows-10
    You could also go into Windows Updates, right click the w10 update and hide it (not sure if this will help but worth a try).
    "...anyone who expects a source of power from the transformation
    of these atoms is talking moonshine..."
    - Ernest Rutherford (1871-1937)

--------------------------
    "After your hands become coated with grease, your nose will begin to itch."

Smile Re: Looks like I am forced to instal W10 upgrade

Quote Originally Posted by kioti View Post
    Hi. I'm running W7x64 Ultimate SP1. I now have an update to be installed and it is the W10 Upgrade. I do not want to have W10. I have it on another harddrive.
    Sitting on the Shut Down tab is the Update Icon. I have gone into Windows Updates and there is no way I can see to stop this upgrade to W10: W10 is going to be installed whether I want it or not if I click to Shut Down my computer. Only thing I can do is cold kill my computer with the Power button or the switch on computer PSU.
    Anyone know of another option I can use to get around this forced W10 instal to my computer?
    I had Windows Updates set to 'Download updates but let me choose whether to instal them'...it appears that I am being over-ridden by MS.
    Thanks in advance.

Gigabyte GA-MA74GM-S2..AMD Athlon II X64 630...4GB Dual Channel DDR2 800MHz..Onboard Graphics: ATI Radeon 2100 (Microsoft Corporation - WDDM) Cooler Master 650W PSU
    Sorted it out. As only the Upgrade to W10 was showing I clicked "Show availabe updates and there were 63 Important updates and in 'Optional Updates' was the W10 upgrade/Update ticked so I unticked it. Think I will find and remove the GWX...using this method here: http://www.dedoimedo.com/computers/w...to-remove.html

@feersumendjinn
    thanks for your reply. I have just used another method to remove GWX, however I will download/save the GWX Contril Panel app/tool that you have suggested: Having read the webpage it would seem to be an easier to use option than the one I did use.

I have used the GWX Control Panel to successfully remove the files for Windows 10 upgrade, several times. But you need to change the way Windows gives you updates, to "Notify me when updates are available, but let me choose whether to download and install them".
    Also, untick the box that says "Give me recommended updates the same way as I receive Important ones"

Cheers, LL
    _____Nothing is hidden that cannot be revealed______

If it does install, and you don't like it, you should be able to roll it back to previous OS. PC Settings > Update and Recovery > Recovery.
    You will only be able to do this in the time frame of one month. After that, MS will remove the files for the previous OS.

Cheers and good luck, LL

Quote Originally Posted by lakewoodlady View Post
    I have used the GWX Control Panel to successfully remove the files for Windows 10 upgrade, several times. But you need to change the way Windows gives you updates, to "Notify me when updates are available, but let me choose whether to download and install them".
    Also, untick the box that says "Give me recommended updates the same way as I receive Important ones"

Cheers, LL
    That's the long way of doing it

Theres a far quicker, and you don't need GWX either. I haven't mentioned it before because some seem to like GWX.

I did it on my office PC simply because I have programs that I cant get again, and it has some corruptions that will cause problems during an upgrade, anyway its going on 8 years old so in the process of building another. No sign of the W10 upgrade. Its the only 1 PC here that's got the old OS still.

Re the rollback-- Keep in mind sometimes that doesn't work either, seen it where it gets part way through and stops, wont roll back at all or in some cases the rollback is very unstable, programs don't work and all sorts of other problems can appear.

Older by the minute

So, don't leave us in suspense! How do you do it?

Quote Originally Posted by Bryan View Post
    So, don't leave us in suspense! How do you do it?
    Its simple google search, theres always someone who has found a working result-- but here it is.

Easy way is to make a .reg file you can then if you want to put it on others computers,carry it with you on a USB drive -- then all you do is double click it, or right click /Merge - agree a couple of times - DONE, no programs to install or work through and easy to reverse.

A simple reg alteration: ( reg file contents)

Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Policies\Microsoft\Win dows\Gwx]
    "DisableGwx"=dword:00000001

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Policies\Microsoft\Win dows\WindowsUpdate]
    "DisableOSUpgrade"=dword:00000001

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\Curr entVersion\WindowsUpdate\OSUpgrade]
    "AllowOSUpgrade"=dword:00000000
    "ReservationsAllowed"=dword:00000000

Or if lazy download link DisableWindowsUpgrade.reg

If you reverse the actions you'll be prompted for upgrading again.

Just reversed on my W7 to show - Eset Smart Security stopped it a few minutes later.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Stop_W10.png 
Views:	87 
Size:	24.7 KB 
ID:	7192

Edited: By ONLY stopping the W10 upgrade you can still receive any other updates, Security, Office etc.

SIMPLE EH !!
    Last edited by wainuitech; 08-05-2016 at 11:59 AM.

Thank you WT! So this can be applied in the following situations? When the win 10 icon is on the task bar, and after the win 10 upgrade files are already installed?

LL