Thread: Belkin Router

Default Belkin Router

Had this router for 2 years has worked well. Just lately it has lost connection with my Laptop a lot and have to reboot it. Is it time for a new router. I am in Auckland our street does not have fibre yet but the connection speed is very good.
    It does coincide with me connecting the Wi-Fi box to my Sky Box but I cant see that that would cause problems?
    Any thoughts.
    I am a light user and don't watch movies on line or games or downloads just a bit of You Tube.
    If I need a new router any suggestions? Cheers.

Default Re: Belkin Router

when you loose wifi connection, try connecting with a network cable & see if that works . There might be other wifi issues happening (less likely)
    If the router is freezing/hanging, replace it .

I would just have a look on trademe. Wifi routers are worth nothing on trademe, even when near new.
    I cant even get $30 for my year old ASUS adsl wifi router on trademe, but I did buy a nice,almost new, higher spec TP-Link dirt cheap :-)

Ive never liked the Belkins. Only ones Ive seen were faulty .

Or update the firmware on it. Or update the drivers for the wireless

I have a theory that many home routers die due to poor cooling design, most I've had get very hot. I built myself a cooler and stability improved markedly. It's just a case fan in a box blowing air up under the router, conveniently my previous dead router had a 12V power supply and case fans run on 12V.

Make sure it's not in direct sunlight near a window and is in a well ventilated area. Check for any potential sources of interference if it turns out just to be the wi-fi. Connecting the sky box could effect the stability a bit if it was already marginal, easy to check - disconnect it and see what happens.

Move any wireless devices, cordless phones, microwave ovens, and Nuclear power plants you might have away from the router.
    Ryzen 2700X, 16Gb DDR4RAM, 512GB M.2 NVME SSD, MSI GTX1070

Where is Metla these days Chilling_Silence's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by dugimodo View Post
    I have a theory that many home routers die due to poor cooling design, most I've had get very hot. I built myself a cooler and stability improved markedly. It's just a case fan in a box blowing air up under the router, conveniently my previous dead router had a 12V power supply and case fans run on 12V.
    Agreed. Cooling helps a *lot* on the cheaper routers. Had a router at my parents place that was in a warmer part of the house, keeping a small desk fan aimed at it would last for weeks on end. Take the fan off it and it'd overheat twice daily.

Are you after suggestions on an ADSL2+, VDSL2 or a UFB router?
    I mostly do Bitcoin & DigiByte things these days, feel free to say hi on Twitter: https://twitter.com/dgb_chilling

Before you ask a question here, or before you get upset by a response, see here:
    http://www.catb.org/~esr/faqs/smart-...ons.html#intro