Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Win 10 to Win 7....not rollback

Hi. I have a friend in Austria who 4 days ago bought a new Asus P2520LA-XO0490T
    RAM 4GB/HDD 500GB-7200rpm, Laptop. Has W10 OS and she hates it. There is no Rollback to W7 as W10 wasm't installed from the Windows free upgrade.
    She wants W7 and has instal Disc/license key. She wants me to do the change to W7 and I am in New Zealand. I am planning on using Teamviewer to connect to her computer so questions are as follows: Obviously I can't get her to load the W7 DVD and boot from it and then for me to do the wipe out of 10 and instal of W7 with me using Teamviewer.
    So, can I create a partition of unallocated space on C Drive and instal W7 to that ..installing W7 from open Wondows 10 without losing Remote connection. Reason for dual boot would be to Boot into 7 and delete 10. Would doing that cause any problem with imbedded W10 license keys in the computers BIOS?
    There is a Slave HDD in the laptop to which I could instal W7..can I do that with Win 10 running?
    If I can get W7 installed and setting that HDD to be the First HDD to boot from. I can then make the C Drive with W10 unformatted space and either Migrate (clone/copy) W7 from the Slave drive to the C drive.
    Basically, Can I instal W7 either as dual boot with W10 on C Drive with W10 open, or instal W7 to Slave Drive with W10 open or does it require booting from W7 DVD.
    Yes I realise that she may have to get a new license key from MS for reuse of W7 OS.
    Last edited by kioti; 07-04-2016 at 06:30 AM.

Computer Tech

Default Re: Win 10 to Win 7....not rollback

Not gonna work.
    At some point it will need to restart and go to the win7 install process and you'll lose connection. Then trying to talk her through things will probably cause issues.
    In any case why go back to an old os that support for is slowly disappearing?
    Learn win10 and stick with it.
    It isn't that much different to win7.
    What doesn't she like about it?

Quote Originally Posted by CYaBro View Post

You have it now, may as well make the most of it, and stay current too.
    "He who resorts to personal insults hath lost the argument."

Twitter

Old guy

+1

Windows 10 is just fine. Keep in mind that all the grizzles you have read about W10 come from the small percentage of people who have had genuine problems for one reason or another and from those who make a hobby of knocking MS no matter what they say or do. The vast majority of users are happy once they get past the first short learning curve but as they don't have a great desire to moan about it you do not hear from them.

Maybe 10 is fine but it's her choice.
    Just have her take it to a tech over there for an install.
    wipe your paws.

Not gonna work.
    At some point it will need to restart and go to the win7 install process and you'll lose connection. Then trying to talk her through things will probably cause issues.
    In any case why go back to an old os that support for is slowly disappearing?
    It isn't that much different to win7.
    What doesn't she like about it?
    Yep, not gonna work. Via remote.
    She wants W7 and has instal Disc/license key.
    If its an Asus factory W7 recovery Disc, then all she needs to do is boot from the Disc and follow instructions, it will wipe out the drive completely, put in a recovery partition and other partitions it requires, install W7 and be pre-activated. You wouldn't be able to Dual boot as its setup wouldn't do it. Its designed to wipe everything, unlike a Standard W7 DVD.

The last question is one I ask as well. "What doesn't she like about it"

Do you know most people cant really give a straight answer ?

some people just prefer Win7 & dislike 10.
    Why is that so hard to understand ?

There are plenty of reasons people dont like 10 . Many of the same reasons that people didnt like 8
    remember 8 & the hatred of it. It was the same reply back then, oh Win8 is fine, just stick with it & learn it.
    I prefer 7 & wont load 10 on my PC. Im not saying 10 is bad though, its different.

It would be a nightmare to do a Win7 install remotely. Dont even attempt it .
    If anything goes wrong, just 1 small minor hickup , your name will be Mudd

Wanderer

Could you instruct her ie - a Skype Webcam chat? Or even with the phone - Google Hangout, WeChat, Whatsapp with the webcam ... Point the camera to the screen and tell her what to do with the mic.

Quote Originally Posted by 1101 View Post

Its not hard to understand, but most people if you ask why they cant really say why, they have never tried it, or in some cases even seen it.

To many people follow like sheep, and believe what others say instead of trying something for them selves.

Was at a place yesterday, they have a old XP computer, most of the online activity's for their business wont work in the browsers they have, they even said they had a messaged from Chrome saying its no longer supported in XP chrome-to-end-support-for-windows-xp-vista-and-os-x-10-8-on-april-2016/

Lucky for them firefox still does at the moment.

As I said to someone this morning W7 will go exactly the same way as XP, sooner or later many things wont work, and when they buy a new Computer they will be forced to use what ever OS is available, ( be it Windows MAC or even Linux) and the learning curve will be huge. W7 home is no longer available only W7 Pro.

Being in the service business you have to know the OS's you work on,other wise its not a good look I remember when W8 first came out, some repair places told people you cant do <insert what ever> My reply "bull" then proceed to show them
    Last edited by wainuitech; 07-04-2016 at 09:41 AM.

Computer Tech

Quote Originally Posted by 1101 View Post

There are plenty of reasons people dont like 10 . Many of the same reasons that people didnt like 8
    remember 8 & the hatred of it. It was the same reply back then, oh Win8 is fine, just stick with it & learn it.
    I prefer 7 & wont load 10 on my PC. Im not saying 10 is bad though, its different.

It would be a nightmare to do a Win7 install remotely. Dont even attempt it .
    If anything goes wrong, just 1 small minor hickup , your name will be Mudd
    But Win8 was crap.
    Win10 is so much better.

We have lots of older customers who are very happy with Win10, after being on XP, Vista or Win7.
    They all disliked Win8.

As I said support for win7 is disappearing so she will have issues in the future if she stays with it.
    Just found out the other day that MYOB are ending support for Win7 and Office 2010 at the end of this year! Even though EOL for Win7 isn't until Jan 2020.

Also Win7 doesn't fully support the latest Intel Skylake CPU platform, and only certain makes/models of computers have been certified, or approved, to run Win7.
    If the device is one of those then it would have come with Win7 Pro already installed on it, using the downgrade rights of Win10 Pro.