Question Is it possible....

Hi,I am hoping to add a new power supply to my aging PC. My case originally had two, but owning to financial restraints I was unable to replace one of them. The current (he he ) one is a Corsair TX650 is it possible to have two different power supplies but of equal wattage as I am having trouble locating another power supply the same model.
    ' The Ghost of Tom Joad '

Default Re: Is it possible....

Neither the wattage nor the brand needs to be the same, Did your computer come with two psus or did you do it yourself because with consumer power supplies there is a small amount of jury rigging required to get them to run.
    | Intel i5 2500k @ 4.5Ghz | Hyper 212 evo CPU cooler | Corsair vengance 12gb 1600Mhz | EVGA 1070 FTW | 60gb SSD + 500gb SSD + 2x WD black 1tb HDD | Asus P8Z68-V/GEN3 | Corsair AX850w | Corsair 600t white |

Quote Originally Posted by Slankydudl View Post
    Neither the wattage nor the brand needs to be the same, Did your computer come with two psus or did you do it yourself because with consumer power supplies there is a small amount of jury rigging required to get them to run.
    Hi,thanks for the response.The case originally had two power supplies,but they both died....so I replaced it with the one,which I was told was sufficient by a computer shop. Cheers
    ' The Ghost of Tom Joad '

Can't imagine why you would have two. Even high end gaming PCs only need one.
    wipe your paws.

+1

Is this an old server case, some servers have 2 PSU's

Anyway, on most PC's & certainly on most motherboards, you cant just add another PSU.

Im not sure if you should/can join (parallel) 2 switchmode power supply outputs together.

I have a "Y" cable that lets two PSU's power up from the same motherboard power signal. It does not common the inputs to the motherboard though, it just lets you use all the other connections for extra devices. In my case it was part of a Litecoin mining rig and the 2nd power supply was running one of the graphics cards.

However for any normal setup I don't see any advantage to a 2nd Power supply, and I'm surprised you've managed to kill so many. I've only ever had 1 power supply fail personally.
    Ryzen 2700X, 16Gb DDR4RAM, 512GB M.2 NVME SSD, MSI GTX1070

Do not mix the power supplies within each component, so use one power supply for the motherboard and maybe hard drives whilst the other is for whatever else. Anyways I think it would be worth sharing what your system is to see if you even need a second power supply as you most likely wont and having a single power supply is a lot better.
    | Intel i5 2500k @ 4.5Ghz | Hyper 212 evo CPU cooler | Corsair vengance 12gb 1600Mhz | EVGA 1070 FTW | 60gb SSD + 500gb SSD + 2x WD black 1tb HDD | Asus P8Z68-V/GEN3 | Corsair AX850w | Corsair 600t white |

As pctek said earlier, it seems non-sensical to have two power supplies.
    Bugger the cancer. I'm suffering from terminal inertia.