Thread: Snipping Tool

Default Snipping Tool

The Microsoft Snipping Tool is a great little gadget but would be so much better if it allowed you to draw a straight line, an arrow, and insert text.

I notice from time to time Wainui seems to use one that does the job well and wonder if he would like to share his secret?

All other suggestions welcome too.
    Global Warming is Mann made.
    The government cannot give to anybody anything that the government does not first take from somebody else.

Default Re: Snipping Tool

I use Zap grabber but it doesn't allow any editing. I suspect Wainui pastes the screenshot into an editing program to do what you mention. Even paint is good enough for basic editing.

Zap grabber http://www.zapgrab.net/ lot of adds on that page though so click with care.
    Ryzen 2700X, 16Gb DDR4RAM, 512GB M.2 NVME SSD, MSI GTX1070

Its a free capture by Techsmith called JING https://www.techsmith.com/jing.html You make up a free account, and it allows you to upload any videos you might make as well, five minute time limit on the free one. if doing pictures, you have the option to save locally or upload to your account.

If you scroll down the page a little, on the left are some Tutorials, worth looking at, explains all the functions.
    Last edited by wainuitech; 07-03-2016 at 04:21 PM.
    Update / Upgrades = Replace old bugs with new ones.

Thanks Wainui Iíll take a look.

Back in the good old days of Win95 & Win98 I had a basic editing tool that allowed you to take a picture and insert arrows, lines, circles, text and a few other basic shapes.

It was dead simple, no frills, but Iím buggered if I can remember its name or where I stored it.

Iíve got photo editing programmes that will do it, but I want something simple, not something that requires five years study to get it to do anything.

Hence my liking for, Microsoftís Snipping Tool, if only they would take it the next step.
    Global Warming is Mann made.
    The government cannot give to anybody anything that the government does not first take from somebody else.

There is another One I use as well, Ashampoo Snap, you can do a lot more with it - the free giveaway version has an ad that pops up every time you start the computer about "great deals" . The only annoying thing is when you first use it, it insists on popping "how to's" on every damn window, you untick ( or tick, cant remember now) the options to run and they never bother you again.
    Update / Upgrades = Replace old bugs with new ones.

Skitch is free, I use it often in Win7 .

bgger, I just saw its been discontinued this year

windows paint does all you want - has been around since the year dot.... maybe that's what you were using even

All you need to do is hit the PrtScn key on your keyboard, run paint from the start menu and when it opens just click the paste button, and there's your screen grab there ready to add arrows, straight lines, or text from the toolbox
    Pretty damn easy really

Quote Originally Posted by dugimodo View Post
    I use Zap grabber but it doesn't allow any editing. I suspect Wainui pastes the screenshot into an editing program to do what you mention. Even paint is good enough for basic editing.

Zap grabber http://www.zapgrab.net/ lot of adds on that page though so click with care.
    Zap grabber is really great and it used to be free a few years ago but now you can no longer download it for free except if anyone would be nice enough to send you a copy of the previous free version.