Default Decent small rack for home setup

Hi all,

Looking to build a small wall mount rack for home, probably 6U is fine although 9U would be nice. Not something I've done much of before - I know Dynamix are pretty decent, I've also come across modempak in my searching. Is there anyone here who deals with rack gear a bit and could recommend something?

At this stage it would only be for a 16 port switch, patch panel and a few non-rack mountable items like a modem and VoIP adapter. Thanks!
    Microsoft: "You've got questions. We've got dancing paperclips."

Default Re: Decent small rack for home setup

Hey wratterus, the Dynamix gear is pretty decent. I've used it plenty myself and it's a good cheap option for DIY.

There are a few companies out there that just make racking units, but they're more pricey.
    Windows 10.1 Pro 64Bit // Intel i7-950 Nehalem 3.06GHz // 48GB DDR3 // EVGA GeForce GTX780 Superclocked ACX 6GB GDDR5 // Samsung EVO 250GB

A couple bits of timber at the right spacing
    Seriously though, it could work.

We buy all that sort of stuff through work and none of it is cheap. We have used modempak quite a bit. You could try electrical wholesalers like Ideal Electrical, J.A.Russell, etc
    Most of our suppliers don't sell direct to the public.
    Ryzen 2700X, 16Gb DDR4RAM, 512GB M.2 NVME SSD, MSI GTX1070

Computer Tech

2nd vote for Dynamix.
    Used them a few times and they work well, and are priced well too.

If you want to buy one I can sell you whatever Dynamix model you want.
    Special price for PressF1 of course.
    Have a look at dynamix.co.nz and if you find a model/s that you are interested in let me know and I can get you a price.

I'm old school....heck, I'm just old. But I remember that all commercially made racks were 19" inside which is exactly the same size as the screw holes for the faceplates on rack gear.

I have no idea how many sillimeters it is in 19 units of the king's nose (inches), but I'm sure someone here can figger it out OK.

As far as the milk crates - did I mention milk crates yet? I guess not, so now's the time.

Milk crates - the heavy duty plastic and metal ones are what I use for my 4U and 6U racks. The plastic edge drills nice and clean, and if you drill it a tiny sillimeter smaller that the faceplate screws, they hold very well.

I use them for all my rack gear for my bass amps, power supplies, Korg tuners and compressors, etc, etc. I picked blue milk crates as they are pretty close to the trim colors on my Acoustic amps and cabs.

They go over with other players and the audience pretty good, are eye candy to the Millenials and Notchers - as they've seen nothing like them in their short lives.

Cooling - if it's an issue - is a non-issue in a well ventilated milk crate too. No muffin fans.

Quote Originally Posted by Rightside_Up_Land View Post
    I'm old school....heck, I'm just old. But I remember that all commercially made racks were 19" inside which is exactly the same size as the screw holes for the faceplates on rack gear.

I have no idea how many sillimeters it is in 19 units of the king's nose (inches), but I'm sure someone here can figger it out OK.

As far as the milk crates - did I mention milk crates yet? I guess not, so now's the time.

Milk crates - the heavy duty plastic and metal ones are what I use for my 4U and 6U racks. The plastic edge drills nice and clean, and if you drill it a tiny sillimeter smaller that the faceplate screws, they hold very well.

I use them for all my rack gear for my bass amps, power supplies, Korg tuners and compressors, etc, etc. I picked blue milk crates as they are pretty close to the trim colors on my Acoustic amps and cabs.

They go over with other players and the audience pretty good, are eye candy to the Millenials and Notchers - as they've seen nothing like them in their short lives.

Cooling - if it's an issue - is a non-issue in a well ventilated milk crate too. No muffin fans.
    AWESOME! Do you have any pics we can see?
    Windows 10.1 Pro 64Bit // Intel i7-950 Nehalem 3.06GHz // 48GB DDR3 // EVGA GeForce GTX780 Superclocked ACX 6GB GDDR5 // Samsung EVO 250GB