Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Default Re: Windows 8 upgrade issue

I cant do anything after it did its install of files it went to do its first restart after that that was it you cant see anything or do anything all it does now is it goes through the dell boot up screen and thats it after that its just a black screen no movement no nothing it just sits there and roars its head off loud then quiet i left it on all night hoping it might fix itself but nothing.
    i even tried putting in another hdd still nothing it just hangs on black screen 24 /7 i think its dead or the thing is jammed somehow. I even tried cmos resetting by taking the battery out for five mins still nothing and same result.

If you removed the battery remember to reconfigure the BIOS settings

Boot into the BIOS, make sure the HDD is shown as being attached, it will listed if its detected.

WHATS THE MODEL, been asked twice now and still not answered. No point in trying to install W8 if it wont be supported.

Hi sorry was using my phone for the net and I missed the question sorry.

The model is dell OptiPlex Gx 270

You may be out of luck. Some places say you can but you need at least 1GB Memory as minimum ( which W8 States as Min). As well as a Graphic Card ( would help) This looks like the right model / Drivers http://www.dell.com/support/home/us/...drivers?rvps=y

The following forum offers some options / Discussion: install-windows-8-32bit-my-optiplex-gx270.html

You may need to upgrade the BIOS as well, This is meant to be the one from model given: http://www.dell.com/support/home/us/...iverId=R128823 It says
    This file format consists of a BIOS executable file. The Universal (Windows/MS DOS) format can be used to install from Windows 8, Windows 7, Windows XP, Windows 2000, NT, Windows 9X, Windows ME or a MS DOS environment.
    BUT use at your own risk. Theres no guarantee it will work or not, then again it could simply "Brick" the Computer completely. You may be better off running Linux on it as its been previously suggested.

You could check if your CPU is supported with coreinfo https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/...rnals/cc835722

What you need to look for
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Untitled.jpg 
Views:	30 
Size:	73.4 KB 
ID:	6951  

I extracted the iso to my bootable usb once it read it it said windows has suffered a software or hardware change use disc that came with it to reinstall and it said file boot \ BCD status 0x00000 e or something like that and said boot error and that was it.

Did you use something like rufus, or just extract out the ISO contents and copy to the USB drive ?

I used rufus to extract the iso files to the usb tried win 8 didnt work so now trying win 7 still getting same result must be some way i can wipe this hdd and start over again getting real frustrated with it now.

You can wipe the HDD completely with partition software. Theres plenty about, like http://www.disk-partition.com/free-p...n-manager.html as well as plenty others. Make a bootable CD or USB drive ( CD will be better) and boot from that, delete the partitions.

You "May" be having problems with such an old PC and the USB drive. It may not like modern USB devices to boot from.