Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Help please! Unable to upgrade to Windows 10, what am I doing wrong?!

Hi guys,

Am having trouble upgrading to Windows 10, have tried googling a solution and having no luck would really appreciate help please!

First I tried clicking on the 'Get windows 10' icon in system tray, but this just opening a window showing a spinning loading icon that doesn't change even after leaving it for hours.

Tried turning off antivirus MSSE and tried again without success.

Found another workaround by downloading Microsoft’s Media Creation Tool. I downloaded and ran this exe, but it bought up this error: "Something happened. We can't tell if your PC is ready to continue installing Windows 10. Try reinstalling setup" . Tried again twice and still same result.

Also tried resetting the language to US English as described here: http://www.wired.co.uk/news/archive/...happened-error - also with no luck.

Am I meant to try downloading as administrator?

What am I doing wrong if the system tray icon hangs indefinitely?

I'm running a genuine copy of Windows 7 with service pack 1 & all updates I'm aware of.

Any help supremely appreciated as I'm over my head & very frustrated!
    want $200 off lasik laser eye surgery? PM me for details!

Default Re: Help please! Unable to upgrade to Windows 10, what am I doing wrong?!

Whats are the specs of the PC you're trying to install Win 10 on?

I would download the ISO with the tool, then burn it. Then run it off dvd. See if it works

Default Re: Help please! Unable to upgrade to Windows 10, what am I doing wrong?!

1st Check you have at least a MINIMUM of 20GB of spare hard Drive space, any lower and it wont install.

2. run something like Ccleaner and clean out all the temp files.

3. Download a ISO of Windows 10 from techbench Scroll down the page a little and you'll see the ISO download options, work through the menus as they appear.

4. Burn the ISO to a DVD or USB drive. Use Rufus if using a USB drive. Once done, put in the DVD or USB ( which ever you use) and open, run the setup.exe -- Follow instructions, it should run through, download updates, install W10. When it reboots it will carry on installing. Allow at least 1 Hour +

NOW the "gotya" / WARNING: What is meant to happen is Number 4 --- BUT it doesn't always work, sometimes when W10 upgrades it goes fine, other times EVERYTHING turns to sh1t.

Make sure you have a backed up ALL data, and even made a Image of the current install BEFORE TRYING - Just in case .
    Last edited by wainuitech; 20-01-2016 at 08:23 PM.
    Update / Upgrades = Replace old bugs with new ones.

Older by the minute

One other thing, how old is the PC. I found one of my PCs had a problem that it was not able to run Win10 without a change to a setting in the BIOS. Can't remeber what it was now though.

Quote Originally Posted by Speedy Gonzales View Post
    Whats are the specs of the PC you're trying to install Win 10 on?

I would download the ISO with the tool, then burn it. Then run it off dvd. See if it works
    Heya Speedy,

specs below of laptop:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	laptop specs.JPG 
Views:	241 
Size:	43.4 KB 
ID:	6923

Quote Originally Posted by sooby View Post
    Heya Speedy,

specs below of laptop:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	laptop specs.JPG 
Views:	241 
Size:	43.4 KB 
ID:	6923
    Those specs way exceed the minimum. Got W10 running on WAY LESS than that.

I remember my friend having the same problem, I think he right clicked the system tray icon and activated it, worth a try anyway
    Intel i7 2600 3.4GHz Gigabyte P67 EVGA Nvidia GTX 660 OC Windows7

Aggghh!!

I backed up, downloaded W10 setup & installed on usb, used rufus to load onto USB stick, started setup & got same error message as direct install! Error message as per photo: Click image for larger version. 

Name:	usb error message.JPG 
Views:	258 
Size:	37.9 KB 
ID:	6948

At what point am I meant to turn off MSSE antivirus exactly?

Any other ideas?

How much could I expect a tech to charge to load W10?

Couple of things to look at.
    1. How much hard Drive space do you have left ? you need a minimum of 20GB + other wise it wont install as a upgrade.
    2. Whats the computer Eg: is it one thats been built up or name brand ( Dell Compaq etc) ?
    3. What you can do is wipe the drive clean - install W10 (boot from the USB drive) - when it asks for the product key, as long as its W7 Wsp1 just enter that, it should accept it, and carry on- if it refuses it - Do #4
    4. What you can do, is if you have the W7 DVD wipe your HDD clean, install W7 again from fresh, no need to do all the updates, just make sure its activated. As long as you have internet access ( no other drivers required, don worry about graphics sound or anything else), once W7 is going plug in the USB drive and upgrade from that (just had to do that with a computer yesterday).
    5. Cost for a tech to do it -- Depends where you are and who they work for. ( I know that answer is about as helpful as MS message - Something went wrong)

cheers WT,

1. 117GB on C drive & 394GB on D drive
    2. ASUS laptop.

According to others experiences, this upgrade was meant to be easy! Guess that's life, your mileage may vary as they say...