Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Does anyone have any contacts in Clyde?

I'll be doing the Otago rail trail next week with a mate, dropping one car at Clyde, then taking the other to Middlemarch. Does anyone have any friends/relatives in Clyde who'd be willing to keep half an eye on a parked car for 3-4 days? Would be very much appreciated.

Default Re: Does anyone have any contacts in Clyde?

Nick, when we did the trail some years back, we left our car in a compound at the Clyde terminus where it was pretty secure. I doubt it cost us very much, if anything.

Was going to suggest that area but thought it was part of Trail Journeys operation,would say it would be safe there

Went with Trail Journeys about 5 years ago and opted for undercover storage there

We were independent travellers (ie not part of any trail operation) but we were still able to store two cars in the compound. I can't recall if they were under cover or not. We stayed in country hotels along the way (Ophir, Ranfurly and Middlemarch) which were reasonably priced, and lots of fun, then when we reached Middlemarch a couple of our group went back to Clyde by bus and picked up the cars.

Cheers guys! That's super cheap, will run with that

Might I suggest that the Clyde to Alexandra leg be ridden on an alternative trail? There is a lovely bike trail that starts just over the bridge from Clyde and runs alongside the river through old gold tailings. It is scenic and shaded, unlike the rail trail for this leg which is straight and boring and very hot and dry.

I agree with user. The 'ordinary' Clyde to Alex leg is standard rail bed, whereas the other trail is much more interesting. You are going to see plenty of standard rail bed without a lot of shade, so try the alternative!

We felt we needed to use the standard trail because we were late arriving in, and starting from, Clyde so we took the direct route so we could arrive in Ophir in plenty of time to have a beer and order dinner. Pity, but there it is.

I liked the look of the car service storage option from Trail Journeys where you take a car to Middlemarch and come back to Clyde on the 2.30 shuttle before starting your cycle the following day towards Middlemarch, so that in effect you are always cycling towards your car. The way we did it, two poor sods had to catch the bus back to Clyde at the end of a cycling leg from Ranfurly, and then drive back to us in Middlemarch. Not a good idea!

For what it is worth, none of us have done the trip from Middlemarch to Clyde on the trail, but we thought that going Clyde to Middlemarch was the better option. As we completed the ride, we thought we had gone in the right direction, and in particular would not have wanted to do the Middlemarch to Hyde leg into a head wind! Going Clyde - Middlemarch also meant that the end of the day on each of our three days was downhill. Gets you nicely set up for a relaxing cool beer to rehydrate.

PS take huge amounts of fluid and foods that will replace essential elements. I suffered from semi-dehydration on day two, and desperately needed salt replacement as well - I only found that out when one of our group shared a pack of those Shapes things around, and I wanted to eat the whole box on my own for the salt!

I've actually done tne rail trail before, a few years back. Was planning on challenging myself time wise and seeing how quickly I could do it, but I might give an alternate route a go!
    Last edited by Nick G; 05-02-2016 at 10:19 PM.