Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default New motherboard or is it safe to buy second hand?

I need to replace my motherboard but can't decide whether to change my cpu and upgrade or buy a second hand one. I have an i3 processor with 8gb ram with a gigabyte motherboard but it gives me issues with my hdd. Any recommendations?

Default Re: New motherboard or is it safe to buy second hand?

If you read my other thread you will understand this what this new thread is all about

Apple free in Appleby KarameaDave's Avatar

I doubt any one would say buying secondhand is 100% safe.
    But you would be spending less to buy one,
    so even if it's a dud and you can't get a refund
    and have to get another one, it may still be cheaper.
    Last edited by KarameaDave; 16-01-2016 at 09:59 PM.
    FTW

It's maybe still possible to get 1155 boards if you shop around, like this one http://www.pp.co.nz/products.php?pp_id=AA68471
    2nd hand is a gamble, but if you use something like trademe and look for sellers with a lot of positive feedback it's at least less likely someone will intentionally be selling you a lemon.
    Motherboards are seldom sold alone I find though, more often with a CPU and sometimes RAM.

I'd be a bit concerned that you haven't definitely proved it's the motherboard causing your issues. At a minimum if you haven't I'd recommend running memtest for a reasonable amount of time to prove the RAM is ok as well.
    Your other thread indicates the windows 10 update keeps failing but am I to assume it runs ok on it's previous OS? When you try the upgrade are you always using the upgrade and keep all your programs option? this is far more prone to failure than the option to completely replace windows with a fresh install. Be sure to back everything up before attempting either of course.
    Ryzen 2700X, 16Gb DDR4RAM, 512GB M.2 NVME SSD, MSI GTX1070

So you think it is more of a RAM issue causing memory problems?

Quote Originally Posted by karbren View Post
    So you think it is more of a RAM issue causing memory problems?
    As dug mentioned -- Test it.

Test all the components one at a time.

Example: One of the other members in this forum posted a problem with their computer, several suggestions were offered nothing really worked. They ended up sending it to me, The first test ( of hardware) found faults.

Buying components willy nilly is a total waste of money. Unless its obvious like bulging capacitors, burnt of broken components, / Areas.
    Update / Upgrades = Replace old bugs with new ones.

I took out the 2 ram that I had in there and replaced with a spare 1 I had but it froze on the restart. I tried again 2 more times with the same result. I am now refreshing my PC. I bought all the parts for my computer from computer lounge in Auckland and made sure they were comparable. The thing is I think and I am only guessing, plus going by my computer tech friend here in town, a compacitor had burnt out in both motherboards I owned. I decided to use my sons unused one as he wasn't using a desktop anymore. But I seemed to have endless issues. I took out one ram and loaded it up got the same result. Consulted Microsoft on their many issues in upgrading to W10. Still the same recurring problems. I downloaded a hard disk checker and it said I had no problems with either HDD I was trying to use. I will wait till the refresh is done and see. I completely wiped my HDD and loaded the ISO from the USB stick I had and still got the a same issues. I know I am missing something despite not being totally savvy with computers.

Refresh done but it froze once online. So back to square one

Quote Originally Posted by karbren View Post
    Refresh done but it froze once online. So back to square one
    Have a look in the event logs see what ( if anything) it says at the time of the freeze.

To open in search, type in eventvwr In the Windows logs / System see if any errors at the time.-- if so what are they Exactly, word for word. --- to open the log entry double click it ( you can copy/paste the message.

Also have a look at another Log, in search type in Reli -- open the log, where its shows an error, if its the same time as the freeze, click it, -- Whats it saying.

Win 10 is always creating errors. Heres this heap of crap -- Freezes every so often.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Errors.png 
Views:	53 
Size:	19.4 KB 
ID:	6913

Edited: try changing to another SATA port, or try a different cable if you have one. As well as change power Sockets on the Leads.
    Last edited by wainuitech; 17-01-2016 at 12:43 PM.
    Update / Upgrades = Replace old bugs with new ones.

Good point and no one has suggested that to me so far let alone me to think about it. Problem is getting it to load long enough to search