Default W10 Boot Loop ... Activation Key

Hi all

Hope you all had a good festive season and I still have some Panadol left over for thems who may need 'em :-)

OK .. I've got a desktop with a 1TB HD divided into 4 partitions. Part 1 has Win 7 Part 2 has W10 Part 3 has W10 reinstall requiring activation key

When 10 came out I did the upgraded and put it on DVD, installing it on Part 2 ... no problems, no key required, everything honky dory.

Win 10 on 2nd part has now thrown a hissy fit and is in a boot loop. It looks like a reasonably common problem associated with updates and there's literally hundreds of different fixes shown on YouTube. If anyone has struck the same problem and is able to inform me of a "proven" fix, I'd certainly appreciate it.

I'm assuming that I can't do a reinstall through the advanced settings of the original W10 without loosing all of my 3rd party programs, even though it says I won't loose any folders or files.

If anyone knows of an alternative fix or has any other advice that may help, I'd certainly appreciate knowing about it.

Cheers
    SP8's

Default Re: W10 Boot Loop ... Activation Key

I'm not near a windows 10 machine to remind myself, but there are two repair options in the advanced settings as I recall, one that attempts to repair the installation and one that puts it back to a fresh install state.

On the bright side if you do need to reinstall you can just do it fresh and skip the part where it asks for a key, it'll activate anyway once it recognises the hardware. The upgrade option seems to be less reliable and stable and more people have issues with it than from a clean install.

You sure part 3 can't just be activated? It should know from MS database that the hardware has a windows 10 upgrade registered to it and just activate normally. Not sure if multiple versions effects this or not.
    Ryzen 2700X, 16Gb DDR4RAM, 512GB M.2 NVME SSD, MSI GTX1070

Hi dugimodo

There are several "options" for repair in the advanced setting ... none of which work. Repair installation isn't available for W10 ... it says for W7 only. I'm not too worried about it and have resigned myself to the fact that part 2 will be disposed of with a great deal of pleasure.

Part 3 W10 has activated so I'll start getting that sorted.

You can do a repair install on W10, BUT there's a "gotya" You need to have either a W10 DVD or USB and be able to boot into windows in normal mode. Once in, you run the Install, then work through,you get to the part where you can decide to keep files. etc change if wanted, and carry on, doing a repair install.

The other options are either a Refresh OR reset. The following describes the difference everything-you-need-to-know-about-refreshing-and-resetting-your-windows-8-pc/ But I don't trust them. Twice now I've done refreshes, telling it to keep all data, but it knows best, and wiped 99% of it.

Thanks Wainui ... got all doc's, photos, etc backed up. The old W10 is about to be sent to that big cloud in the sky !