Page 1 of 14 12345678 ... LastLast

Default It is a marvelous world that we live in.

I find it difficult to believe in God, but if you have ever marvelled at the magnificence of our earth and how everything is so intertwined with everything else you might agree that something had a hand in designing it all.

Our earth is just in the right spot. A kilometre or so in either direction from the sun and our planet would be either too hot or too cold. We are living in what is called the “habitable zone.”

Our own bodies are marvels of engineering.

Nature is so amazing. It is surprising how many insects are dependent on other insects or animals for their survival. There are some animals that can only live in certain places of the world which just seem made for those animals.

The moon is responsible for our tides and there are animals that live in that tidal area that are dependent on that tide coming and going.

Our earth and everything upon it is just so fantastic, as is the galaxy we live in – one galaxy among billions of other galaxies. And you would think that space does not go on forever – surely it must end somewhere but if it does what is beyond that? Nothing? The concept of nothing is a little bit hard to grasp. And even if there is nothing, does that nothing go on forever?

And you can’t simplify everything by saying, “it just happened.” Something had to make it happen.

Certainly something worth thinking about – this marvellous world that we live in.
    Last edited by Roscoe; 04-01-2016 at 10:20 AM. Reason: Typo
    It is better to wear out than to rust out.
    - Richard Chamberlain, Tour of the Hebrides

Us husbands are a sorry lot.

Default Re: It is a marvelous world that we live in.

God is wonderful isn't she?

Apple free in Appleby KarameaDave's Avatar

No hand, No design
    Chance , evolution and time...
    Lots and lots of time.
    FTW

I wonder Rosso if the person who you were thinking about is the one that gives children bone cancer?
    "The life of the dead is placed in the memory of the living." Cicero

Quote Originally Posted by Cicero View Post
    I wonder Rosso if the person who you were thinking about is the one that gives children bone cancer?
    I'm very uncertain about who or what may be responsible but I can't agree with KarameaDave. I think there is more to it than chance - the odds are incredible!
    It is better to wear out than to rust out.
    - Richard Chamberlain, Tour of the Hebrides

Us husbands are a sorry lot.

Quote Originally Posted by Roscoe View Post
    I'm very uncertain about who or what may be responsible but I can't agree with KarameaDave. I think there is more to it than chance - the odds are incredible!
    But the "number of rolls" is truly vast - if you weren't living on the "winning ticket" we wouldn't be having this conversation.

The 'odds' of there being a pre-existng, extra-universal sentient being, capable of designing such an intricate and complicated universe (all for us - and, yes, with bone cancer kids...) would be less than it being produced by a set of basic physical principles, iteratively extrapolated over huge timescales?
    Lay me down the long white line
    Leave the sirens far behind me
    Paint my name in black and gold
    My heart my flame my heart my road

Isn't it a bit early in the year for a somewhat tired audience to be "iteratively extrapolated over huge timescales" ?

I'm not even sure it would be PC, - and this is PCWorld.

Entropy is not what
    it used to be.

Our earth is just in the right spot.

It is surprising how many insects are dependent on other insects or animals for their survival.
    The moon is responsible for our tides and there are animals that live in that tidal area that are dependent on that tide coming and going.
    And if it wasn't, we wouldn't be talking about it.
    No they are not, the octopus which has the same eye design as us, for instance, does not have a blind spot - unlike us, because their eye is wired properly.

Not to mention how many humans get bad eyesight, sooner or later. Terrific design.

Who came up with putting the recreational parts in with the sewage system?!

Insects depending on other species is a natural consequence of evolving together.

The moon, if it left would cause a lack of tides. And? Animals would adjust or die, others would appear, evolution never sleeps.
    wipe your paws.

Yes an interesting topic but remember as recently as 2000 years ago, according to the Bible, Jesus was born in Bethlehem in Palestine, a country where people are named Mohammed, Abdul, Mounir, Aziz, Ahmed, Farid, Omar, Youssouf, Mouloud, etc.

And yet He managed to find 12 friends called John, Peter, Paul, Phillip, Mark, Thomas, Luke, Matthew, Andrew and Simon . . . who all drank wine!

Quite a mystery really, any thoughts on how this could be?
    Global Warming is Mann made.

Do not regret growing older. It is a privilege denied to many.
    The problems we face today are because the people who work for a living are now outnumbered by those who vote for a living.

I find it difficult to believe in God, but if you have ever marvelled at the magnificence of our earth and how everything is so intertwined with everything else you might agree that something had a hand in designing it all.

Our earth is just in the right spot. A kilometre or so in either direction from the sun and our planet would be either too hot or too cold. We are living in what is called the “habitable zone.”

Nature is so amazing. It is surprising how many insects are dependent on other insects or animals for their survival. There are some animals that can only live in certain places of the world which just seem made for those animals.

Our earth and everything upon it is just so fantastic, as is the galaxy we live in – one galaxy among billions of other galaxies. And you would think that space does not go on forever – surely it must end somewhere but if it does what is beyond that? Nothing? The concept of nothing is a little bit hard to grasp. And even if there is nothing, does that nothing go on forever?

And you can’t simplify everything by saying, “it just happened.” Something had to make it happen.

Certainly something worth thinking about – this marvellous world that we live in.
    Have a look at Darwin, that might explain it for you.
    "The life of the dead is placed in the memory of the living." Cicero