Default How do we tell if we've helped someone?

~The advice I see looks good.

But does it work?

How do we know it works?

Some people post saying great it worked. Others do not tell us if the problems has been fixed.

Should we assume it is if we don't hear from them again?

Default Re: How do we tell if we've helped someone?

Aye, there's the rub Qwerty!

We do it for love, and care not whether we hear back, but for tricky problems it is real good to know which tip sorted the problem as this makes subsequent searches of the Press F1 archive a much more fruitful exercise.

I think that for mundane issues that are readily corrected the original poster is just happy to get on with their computing.

However, it has been my experience that if you ask for feedback, you will usually get it.

Cheers

Billy 8-{)

yep its real nice to here back with results.

have you noticed how some people reply with questions first? just to try to incourage some feedback and also to cut down on the time wasters;-)

problem solving is a process, its very rarely a simple quick one line fix.

easyer not too tell anyone.

LAL

Yes it does help!!!!
    I'm sure there are many of us out here who check out this site regularly and pick up many helpful tips.
    Thank You to all who give their time and knowlege.

I suppose a reply would be good. I have only really just started helping others on this site. In fact I subscribe to PC World and have found that I could answer most people problems in the paper ver of Press F1 (my wife just said that I was showing off). To tell the truth, it is becoming quite addictive (helping others) and I am thinking of making Press F1 my homepage (is this going to far over the top ??). However with the advent of XP which seems to be the majority of problems I am out of my league as I have resisted the need to upgrade from Win 98 SE. Now I only give answers to my OS and my forte MP3 collecting...

See you all around from time to time.

May the gods shine on you all for the New Year....

Chris The C

Welcome Chris The C, everybody knows something different, that's what makes up the great team.

I don't think I would use XP if you gave it to me.

I think a link, on your links bar would be quite addequate, otherwise people will think you are a Geek.

Heh but Geeks are welcome anyway.

PS: a sense of humor is a must.

Sometimes after feeling a bit pleased about giving out a small pearl of wisdom, someone like Tweak'e or Graham give a reply that makes me think 'shucks, I wish I'd known that'.

Still, if anyone gives really bad info, then thankfully there is a great team out there to put things right.

In the final analysis it's up to individuals to try the advice given, and if they are keen enough (like sy), will pass their experience on to others.

You might want to check out the registered users area of PC Advisor magazine at http://www.pcadvisor.co.uk
    This is the UK version of NZ PC World, and on their site, they have an option to check a box if a problem has been solved. The message thread is then flagged with a green tick, although it remains available and further postings can still be made if necessary.