Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Angry Abuse of Farm Animals

The recent revelations about the abuse of Bobby calves is nothing new. In the 70's I visited a farm in Mata Mata and was horrified to see dead & dying calves lying about, these were then loaded into a cage and spent the whole weekend without shade or water until they were bundled into a truck during the week. I also saw several cows with broken tails, seemingly if the Farmer got kicked by a cow he would twist its tail until it broke. This man was a pillar of society and used to read the lessons at the local church.

Default Re: Abuse of Farm Animals

Those type of people are a tiny minority, and the entire NZ dairy industry has been brought into the spotlight for something that wouldn't happen on 99.5% of farms. Bit like saying all parents are child abusers just cause 5 parents abused their children. I can't believe the SAFE campaign poster. I would be mighty pissed if I was a (good) dairy farmer, like the vast majority, and I think rightly so.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	safe.jpg 
Views:	84 
Size:	48.7 KB 
ID:	6849

Abusing animals is disgusting and anyone who does should not be darying, but this is not the right way to make the public aware of an issue that really isn't an issue, other than a few widespread cases.
    Last edited by wratterus; 30-11-2015 at 11:56 AM.
    Microsoft: "You've got questions. We've got dancing paperclips."

The fact is that abuse is OK if its something we eat or want to experiment on.
    Lets not pretend otherwise. Just look at factory farming of poultry & pigs

NZ Consumers prefer to look the other way & pretend its all rosey, then go & protest over Japans whaling.

I have been on loads of dairy farms when down south.
    It's not as rare as you think.
    They aren't considered worth anything.

You can actually milk a nursing cow...but of course you don't get as much milk.
    Simple fix, stop buying milk, it's rip-off here in NZ anyway.
    wipe your paws.

I agree with wratterus.

Coming from a farming background I just can’t help myself looking at stock as I travel in NZ and Aus. My wife gets sick of listening to “jeez, look at them, they’re in good nick”.

When you’re farming, “Stock” are your bread and butter and you won’t be farming long if you farm so poorly you’re always replacing stock, and in the case of dairy farming, getting your milk rejected.

However, there are the “Life Style Nutters” who know nothing about farming and loose stock simply because they won’t use “Animal Remedies”. They are not farmers and it’s damn right unjust to call them farmers.
    Global Warming is Mann made.

Do not regret growing older. It is a privilege denied to many.
    The problems we face today are because the people who work for a living are now outnumbered by those who vote for a living.

Well you always have the option to become a vegan, individual choice for those that can afford it.
    Personally I will not be voluntarily giving up meat or dairy products in the foreseeable future.

Also with regards to the "pillar of society" comment, I don't believe you can take the public face of a person as any kind of indication of their true character by itself. Likewise being involved with a church is no guarantee of good behaviour, plenty of historical evidence of that.
    Ryzen 2700X, 16Gb DDR4RAM, 512GB M.2 NVME SSD, MSI GTX1070

Quote Originally Posted by wratterus View Post
    Those type of people are a tiny minority, and the entire NZ dairy industry has been brought into the spotlight for something that wouldn't happen on 99.5% of farms. Bit like saying all parents are child abusers just cause 5 parents abused their children. I can't believe the SAFE campaign poster. I would be mighty pissed if I was a (good) dairy farmer, like the vast majority, and I think rightly so.

Abusing animals is disgusting and anyone who does should not be darying, but this is not the right way to make the public aware of an issue that really isn't an issue, other than a few widespread cases.
    In a nutshell. I agree with this post in its entirety.

I wonder how many of those farm workers whose faces were pixilated visit the same type of violence on their own families. Give the raw footage to SPCA or Animal Rights and let them bring prosecutions against those workers.

I have very high hopes that seriousness is a reversible condition.

Dr Lester Levy

I've studied deeply in the philosophies and religions, but cheerfulness kept breaking through.

Leonard Cohen

Quote Originally Posted by WalOne View Post
    In a nutshell. I agree with this post in its entirety.

I wonder how many of those farm workers whose faces were pixilated visit the same type of violence on their own families. Give the raw footage to SPCA or Animal Rights and let them bring prosecutions against those workers.

Agree WalOne, The question I ask if those from "Safe" etc are so concerned about animal welfare, how come they did not take immediate action by contacting police,SPCA etc, but took more photos and let the animals suffer further for several hours. Aren't they almost as guilty as those farmers/slaughter house workers who should not be in the industry.

According to Aunty this morning:

The Ministry for Primary Industries (MPI) says it had started an investigation into the alleged mistreatment of bobby calves well before the issue came to light in a television programme over the weekend.

The footage shown in the programme was part of extensive footage given to the ministry by the animal welfare group Farmwatch on September 14. Animal welfare officers reviewed the footage and immediately began an investigation, the ministry said.
    A move in the right direction, at least.
    I have very high hopes that seriousness is a reversible condition.

Dr Lester Levy

I've studied deeply in the philosophies and religions, but cheerfulness kept breaking through.

Leonard Cohen

I see that the idiots from SAFE who posted this video are now telling the world to boycott NZ dairy products. Talk about trying to kill of the NZ economy. We have more people in this country trying to kill the economy that make it work.
    Regards,

Paul W
    Taco Bell is not a Mexican telephone company