Default Smart phone apps for Nod 32

Hi all,

The world wide web is rapidly showing rather disturbing problems relating to cell phone usuage.

I have had np problems with my Samsung Smart phone to date, but am now starting to worry whether it is becoming susceptible to invasion/take over.

When using the computer for bank work I have to use three passwords,including one sent as a txt before I can access my accounts

---however when using my cell phone I only use four digits and get unrestricted access, so should I install Nod 32 in the phone?

Somewhere back F1 had discussion about antivirus and cell phones were stated to be less in need of protection, but has that changed

Effie c

Default Re: Smart phone apps for Nod 32

Personally, I wouldn't bother. As long as you don't enable installation of apps from other sources you're pretty OK.

In saying that, Eset mobile security is very cheap, and they do have a free version too, so it probably couldn't hurt to have it.
    Microsoft: "You've got questions. We've got dancing paperclips."

Hi wratterus,
    money is one thing and if needed I would install - I have a paid full version of Nod32 and hope Wainui will see this and add his pound -sorry-500 grams ) of flesh ;-)

Effie c

The mobile version licensing is separate from the PC version - you'd still need to buy a new 'Mobile Security' licence if you wanted it, think it's about $27 for the initial license, and $19 to renew it.

Think they have a free trial too - just download the app and take it for a spin.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/d....ems2.gp&hl=en
    Microsoft: "You've got questions. We've got dancing paperclips."

I still never use any on my phone, all it ever did when I tried it (admittedly not NOD32 but other security apps) was slow the phone down.
    Never found or blocked anything. Had AVG installed for about a month, trend for about 4 months, another I forget the name of for a while. All a waste of time.

Even if someone hacks your phone, what's the risk ? they would have to remotely run the banking app and know your PIN to get into your bank account and I've never heard of that kind of thing happening on a smart phone, most of the concerns are over personal data stored on the phone, which in my case is just my contact list.

Even if they somehow managed to extract your PIN number and login ID for the banking app, to use it on another device they would still need the other password to set it up the first time - at least that's the case for my westpac app. You can use a PIN but only after you have first logged in with the password and enabled the option on each device.
    Ryzen 2700X, 16Gb DDR4RAM, 512GB M.2 NVME SSD, MSI GTX1070

Hi Dugimoto,

I go along with your comments--though for what it is worth ANZ require three password from a computer but only a 4 digit password from my cell phone- upon which I get straight access to my accounts-to me this four digit access is pretty primitive- though always successful, I may be paranoid yes but with the publicity and the easy phone access I think I need to be.
    I am going to email ANZ for comment and will report back
    Effie c

Never had it on the phones, only the Android Tablet. It has stopped the odd popup or malware ( browser style hijacks)

The license for the Android is separate to the Nod32 normally. They do have a Multi-Device Security Package, but never used it, or even sold it. Its $104.30 +gst, covers 5 devices ( pc's, MAC's Android) http://www.eset.com/int/home/product...vice-security/

Mind you we never do banking on the phones anyway. If anyone hacked into the phone the most they would get is call logs and some numbers of family members and suppliers and the odd picture.
    Last edited by wainuitech; 26-11-2015 at 08:07 AM.

Hi Wainui T,

Thanks

I left a message on your website so now it does not need any reply
    It appears my concerns are unnescessary but thanks anyway

I have transferred money via my cellphone-- it is surprisingly easy, hence the concern.

I have sent an e mail to ANZ and await their reply- which I will try and remember to pass on to F1. at the moment I will carry on as usual

Effie c

Yeah I got that thanks.

To answer your other question, my email is still the same, hasn't changed for over 12 years. Its got a catch all on it, so only after the @ does it need to be correct.

Hi W T,

Thanks for your replies- the email came from my "contact" list in Windows live Mail so it entered automatically - ie it completed the address for me- and it bounced- I will try again

Re cellphone pin number- ANZ gave the same reply in essence as you guys, so I will have to accept it- all said and done I am rapidly approaching my automatic birthday greeting from the Queen-- well sometime ) so what do I know ;-)
    senility is the answer

Effie c