Results 1 to 9 of 9

Thread: Surface Book

  1. #1
    Helper < Helped DeSade's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    Earthquake HQ
    Posts
    3,670

    Default Surface Book

    I want one.

    The NZ prices are/are going to be ridiculous based on the cost of the Surface 4 and the already released overseas costs of the Surface Book.

    What pitfalls do I need to be aware of if I decide to have a friend ship one over?
    The Internet moves in mysterious ways.

  2. #2
    Computer Technician wainuitech's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Wellington
    Posts
    28,233

    Default Re: Surface Book

    May have a problem if it ever needs a warranty repair.

    The biggie though -- you'll more than likely get stung at customs / Tax.

  3. #3
    Helper < Helped DeSade's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    Earthquake HQ
    Posts
    3,670

    Default Re: Surface Book

    I figured I could bring it back with a work colleague, they are always over there.
    "Its a new unit for company software testing, Mr Customs officer sir"

    Will see if it helps, it will be unpacked in a suitcase thou or slid in along side their laptop
    The Internet moves in mysterious ways.

  4. #4
    Short Member pcuser42's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Pukekohe Shuttle
    Posts
    10,104

    Default Re: Surface Book

    If someone bought me one I would love them forever.

  5. #5
    Member Zippity's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Capital City
    Posts
    4,428

    Default Re: Surface Book

    So what does it do that my old faithful 10.2 doesn't do?

  6. #6
    Pretends to know things
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Posts
    3,532

    Default Re: Surface Book

    Quote Originally Posted by DeSade View Post
    I figured I could bring it back with a work colleague, they are always over there.
    "Its a new unit for company software testing, Mr Customs officer sir"

    Will see if it helps, it will be unpacked in a suitcase thou or slid in along side their laptop
    I bought a Macbook Pro in Aus once, declared it on the way back into NZ. At customs the guy asked what I'd bought and if I purchased it new. I told him and he waved me through. No duties or taxes to pay.

    Two friends also recently purchased new Asus laptops in the states, they just threw away the packaging in the USA and bought them back with their luggage no problems.They would have had 2 or 3 laptops each. No questions asked.

  7. #7
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    Auckland
    Posts
    876

    Default Re: Surface Book

    Quote Originally Posted by DeSade View Post
    I want one.

    The NZ prices are/are going to be ridiculous based on the cost of the Surface 4 and the already released overseas costs of the Surface Book.

    What pitfalls do I need to be aware of if I decide to have a friend ship one over?
    the prices are not ridiculous? you need to be comparing apples with apples.

    Is there another 2n1 detachable laptop on the market that even comes close? No.
    3:2 aspect ratio 13.5" screen with 3000x2000 res, 267 PPI
    10 point multitouch
    stylus pen/digitizer with 1024 levels of pressure sensitivity
    1.5kg
    22mm
    1TB PCIe 3.0 SSD
    16GB RAM
    Windows Hello IR camera
    12 hour battery life

    They are coming to NZ, but they are launching in US then AU first.

  8. #8
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    Auckland
    Posts
    876

    Default Re: Surface Book

    Quote Originally Posted by Zippity View Post
    So what does it do that my old faithful 10.2 doesn't do?
    what is a 10.2

  9. #9
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    Auckland
    Posts
    876

    Default Re: Surface Book

    Quote Originally Posted by wainuitech View Post
    May have a problem if it ever needs a warranty repair.

    The biggie though -- you'll more than likely get stung at customs / Tax.
    tax is the price we pay to live in a civil society. that tax pays for schools, police, DPB, dole, hospitals, old age pension

    No one likes paying tax, but its a fact of life

Similar Threads

  1. Surface pro 3
    By stevenvanduyn in forum PressF1
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 12-11-2014, 05:41 AM
  2. Surface 2 - Digital Pen
    By learning in forum PressF1
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 05-11-2013, 06:57 PM
  3. Windows Surface RT
    By bk T in forum PressF1
    Replies: 12
    Last Post: 16-10-2013, 04:48 PM
  4. Awesome Surface Ad
    By The Error Guy in forum PC World Chat
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 30-11-2012, 09:23 AM
  5. The Surface!
    By SolMiester in forum PC World Chat
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 01-06-2007, 06:25 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •