Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast
    Mixed Member

Default Re: Tips for buying a used car

Quote Originally Posted by Terry Porritt View Post
    Adding another item to the list: remove oil filler cap and check for white sludge and /or dirty oil.
    Just for clarity on Terry's good point: when engine water leaks into the oil that is a BAD thing. The two circulation systems are separate and never the twain shall meet. If they do, creamy oil is what you see. Avoid.

Quote Originally Posted by prefect View Post
    All good.
    One I do is let it idle for a while then rev it up, if there are any valve guide ring issues it will blow bloo smoke. Can also do with the foot off the gas and coast down a hill then boot it.
    I also agree that Pctek's checklist is full of good ideas.

To elaborate on your point - a worn engine will suck in oil when decelerating and blow blue smoke out of the exhaust. The best way to test is to coast in gear down a hill with a warm engine and then as Prefect says, rev it to see what comes out the back.

Quote Originally Posted by Winston001 View Post
    when engine water leaks into the oil that is a BAD thing. The two circulation systems are separate and never the twain shall meet. If they do, creamy oil is what you see. Avoid.

You can see water come out in the cylinders if you take your spark plugs out, you can see pretty rainbows on the radiator water too....
    wipe your paws.

pcsourcepoint

Well oil water emulsions are indeed a bad thing, but not necessarily so for those that know how to repair them, chiefly blown head gaskets. Good money to be made sometimes, even selling at fair prices after repair. Mate bought a immobile '93 rover for 300, we repaired it ourselves with others (with a mate a former diesel engineer), (replaced head gasket, water pump, timing belt, pulley, rotor ~550 dollars parts), sold it on Trademe for 3, 200.

We hunted for stuffed cars, that we believe had monetary value when repaired. But combined we have the gears, A frame, Welding/gas torch, code readers/apps/scanners, lathe, tandem trailer, DIY workshop, etc. except for skimming/resurfacing, though another mate a former engineer has contacts. These guys could resit the engine further forward or back, i.e. remount it (e.g. for large land cruisers to replace with larger engine).
    Computer Tech Links (My Tutorials & Reviews)| Free MP3 Software Reviews (My Reviews)|I Student NZ (My Student Resoucre Tips)

Do they still import engines etc ?
    I bought a Corolla with stuffed motor years ago, went to an outfit bought an import, which they had fitted, it lasted till I sold it 10 years later.
    "The life of the dead is placed in the memory of the living." Cicero

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by pctek View Post
    You can see water come out in the cylinders if you take your spark plugs out, you can see pretty rainbows on the radiator water too....
    Strange sometimes you can get water in the oil and oil in the water but not vice versa from cracks and head gasket.
    Normally in deep s**** though if you see water when the spark plugs are out.

pcsourcepoint

Quote Originally Posted by Cicero View Post
    Do they still import engines etc ?
    I bought a Corolla with stuffed motor years ago, went to an outfit bought an import, which they had fitted, it lasted till I sold it 10 years later.
    I buy engine parts from STA parts, and they import engines including V8's. TM sellers sell imported/aftermarket engine heads.
    Computer Tech Links (My Tutorials & Reviews)| Free MP3 Software Reviews (My Reviews)|I Student NZ (My Student Resoucre Tips)

In a 1920s time warp Terry Porritt's Avatar

Strange sometimes you can get water in the oil and oil in the water but not vice versa from cracks and head gasket.
    Normally in deep s**** though if you see water when the spark plugs are out.
    More especially in deep s**** when you go to start the engine and the starter motor stalls due to sump being full of water.

This happened on my A40 Somerset when the gasket blew.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Terry Porritt View Post
    More especially in deep s**** when you go to start the engine and the starter motor stalls due to sump being full of water.

This happened on my A40 Somerset when the gasket blew.
    OMG that wouldn't happen on a B series would it?

OMG that wouldn't happen on a B series would it?
    The 1200cc A40 Somerset engine was a B series. The cylinder head was a weak feature, prone to warping and gasket blowing between the inner two cylinders, otherwise it was a long lasting rugged engine.
    I also had valve seats come loose.

I got another head from the wreckers and re-machined it with it clamped down to produce a few thou small bow. When the clamping was removed it was bowed so that the middle of the head tightened up first on the block.

I detect spam.........A site based in South California is not going to be of much use in NZ.

You are wasting your time