Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Explosion story

Default Explosion story

http://www.3news.co.nz/nznews/explos...and-2015091514

"They were here to do measurements and were here to do welding, in the office and it blew all the windows in the office, so it's done substantial damage," Mr Salter told RadioLIVE.

But then:

"One decided to carry out some welding, without permission, causing a tank to explode."

Which is it then....
    wipe your paws.

Default Re: Explosion story

Bad news someone got killed, but it could have been a lot worse.

Looking at the video, its showing the blast went up, thus blowing the lid off the tank. If it had gone Out and taken out the others it would have been far worse.

I heard it from work and thought it was thunder...

You will never get the truth, but from what I can tell, they weren't working in the tank which was my first thought, since it's not the first time that someone worked inside a tank and blew himself up.

It seems he was fixing the metal walkway above the tank, now whether it was attached to the tank and required welding back on not sure, but that could definitely set off the vapours.

Maybe work needed done on the walkway, and was just a misfortunate accident with splatter, or something caught alight, like paint, that made its way into the tank.

I haven't seen anything on how far his body was thrown by the explosion, but he must have travelled some distance though working up that high.

So instead of blame, how are these situations to be avoided. It's not like someone will drag the welder up that high without being told to do so and warnings are in place, so maybe they thought it was safe after the tank was empty as I didn't hear about any uncontrollable fire.

Cheers,

KK

You can bet that the Bureaucrats will try to blame it on everyone but the guy doing the welding..
    Regards,

Paul W
    Taco Bell is not a Mexican telephone company

Mixed Member

Quote Originally Posted by paulw View Post
    You can bet that the Bureaucrats will try to blame it on everyone but the guy doing the welding..
    Sadly you are spot on. I've listened to radio interviews and watched TV news and there is an automatic assumption by reporters that someone must be to blame. The man's employer or the business which owned the site.

My guess is he was a reliable guy who saw a job needed doing so he got on with it - thinking the tank was stable. Sad for everyone.

Quote Originally Posted by Kame View Post

It seems he was fixing the metal walkway above the tank, now whether it was attached to the tank and required welding back on not sure, but that could definitely set off the vapours.

Maybe work needed done on the walkway, and was just a misfortunate accident with splatter, or something caught alight, like paint, that made its way into the tank.
    Agreed and I'm sure we will know in time. If he thought the tank was empty and cleaned with CO2 or nitrogen then a quick bit of welding was harmless. It sounds like an accident, a misjudgement.

My sympathies to his family and everyone involved. Dealing with violent death is very difficult.

pcsourcepoint

I applied for a job as a chemist at Salters. He sent me an email for interview. But after researching the company, I declined. working around hydrocarbon vapors that seem to be constantly present. Wiri - one of NZ's most heavily industrial areas - loaded with tanks (NZ Oil terminal the biggest)- have had large bangs and explosion in the past. The '89 petrol tanker fireball explosion at the nearby mall. Last year a gas tank blew up after being crushed at a car wreckers. I drive through Wiri sometimes to pick up my son from work, and I at times, have smelt gas enveloping the area. Welding is dangerous as it is, more so I believe around the Wiri area.

I'm learning never to be employed in industrial related work or areas these days, after working in heavily industrialized areas around Auckland. I have seen massive fires ('84 ICI plant in Penrose), heard power explosions, gas tank explode killing the delivery man down from where I worked in Penrose/Mt Wellington, Foul odour permeating the air (around East Tamaki Industrial where i worked once).

I note too that Salter is an avid truck racer, and that the contractors he used also did car welding fabrication. Possibly mates with owners from truck events. I know too - from an experienced Job recruitment/WINZ employment person that I liaise with, told me, that some companies these days prefer to employ contractors through recruitment agencies or 3rd parties for certain tasks. This way they are less liable or accountable than to their own staff for certain pending prosecutions.
    Last edited by kahawai chaser; 16-09-2015 at 09:54 PM.
    Computer Tech Links (My Tutorials & Reviews)| Free MP3 Software Reviews (My Reviews)|I Student NZ (My Student Resoucre Tips)

Blame.....well, yes there is always a fuss when this sort of thing happens.
    Like the recent logging incident.

I'm of two minds about it, sure, the workplace should ensure it's safe there - the fumes come to mind in the welding one, but then common sense should be a factor too.

Like the guy who pushed the log into the chipper with his foot - it's hardly the employers fault in situations like that.

I just found it interesting the Salter guy contradicted himself.

I suspect he did want the welding done, and assumed they would know what they were doing - so perhaps a bit of both?
    wipe your paws.

pcsourcepoint

Quote Originally Posted by pctek View Post
    Blame.....well, yes there is always a fuss when this sort of thing happens.
    Like the recent logging incident.

I'm of two minds about it, sure, the workplace should ensure it's safe there - the fumes come to mind in the welding one, but then common sense should be a factor too.

Like the guy who pushed the log into the chipper with his foot - it's hardly the employers fault in situations like that.

I just found it interesting the Salter guy contradicted himself.

I suspect he did want the welding done, and assumed they would know what they were doing - so perhaps a bit of both?
    Yeah I think he wanted welding done, and I wonder if he knew those contractors well enough to do so. But then his claims of permission to do so (or not to do) does seems ambivalent. It seems no definite action to actually weld from him or his staff. But adjacent to 100, 000 liter fuel tank?

Listening to radio talk back from Council's environmental manager, Salters were served a notice of abatement. Apparently some pinholes were discovered in ducting, with the potential of gas leaks. So they were audited - but externally. Large companies I worked for, we did our own regular internal audits and used external auditors to meet compliance. It seems they waited for audits.

But those audits were for environmental hazards. Therefore possibly little or no audits for work procedures, e.g. for lab, engineering, etc best practice procedures.
    Last edited by kahawai chaser; 17-09-2015 at 10:05 AM.
    Computer Tech Links (My Tutorials & Reviews)| Free MP3 Software Reviews (My Reviews)|I Student NZ (My Student Resoucre Tips)

It sounds like alot of BS from someone.

How many contractors, just for the sake of it , without being told to, and without permission, would climb to the top of a tank , drag up their welding gear, and start welding for no reason at all.
    Obviously, someone at that company told him to do it.