Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Default Should I buy an Expresso machine

We have been thinking of buying a Breville Barista Express BES870 as recommended in Consumer?
    Or would it better to keep buying flat whites when we go out probably 3 times a week for the 2 of us, I drink a lot of tea at home but enjoy a coffee after our evening meal which is usually from a plunger hate instant coffee.
    So is it worth spending $700/800 or keep buying from cafe's ?

Default Re: Should I buy an Expresso machine

No, coffee is evil. It wakes you up.

How much is a cup of coffee? If it was $5 each x 3 x 52 that's $1560 a year so probably. Assuming you wouldn't go out for coffee any more or that leaving the house isn't half the fun.

I don't drink coffee so ignore me. If you are a fan and drink it regularly, why not.
    Ryzen 2700X, 16Gb DDR4RAM, 512GB M.2 NVME SSD, MSI GTX1070

Best bang for your buck is the Sunbeam EM5600
    A married man should forget his mistakes. There's no use in two people remembering the same thing!

I drink a lot of coffee- prob 5-6 per day. Far too much I know but ............
    Have DeLongi fully auto - expensive at $1700 3 0r 4 years ago but I believe well worth it.
    Grinds own beans for each individual brew, user selectable cup size, strength, type - long black, Latte, Cappucino etc. Milk frother if required.
    Reas footprint on bench.
    Good luck
    The floggings will continue until morale improves.
    No keyboard detected. Press F1 to continue.

Yes but you may consider a cheaper model. We bought for about $400 (Breville) and also a decent grinder but have not regretted it. We have only a single cup each evening but it have proved its worth over the last couple of years. If it needs replacing, I may spend big bucks for a more advanced model.

IT Contractor

Espresso*
    Windows 7 x64 // i5-3570K // 16GB DDR3-1600 // GTX660Ti 2GB // Samsung 830 120GB SSD // OCZ Agility4 120GB SSD
    Windows 7 x64 // Phenom II 955 // 8GB DDR3-1333 // GTX460 1GB // Corsair Force3 120GB SSD
    Samsung Galaxy S4 GT-I9505

Quote Originally Posted by Zippity View Post
    Best bang for your buck is the Sunbeam EM5600
    Bought one about 2 years ago - it broke down after 2 months of use, sent it back and they replaced with a brand new one which lasted from just over a year, to be exact, 1 year + 3months, it started to give all sorts of problems, gave up and am now with instant coffee.

Quote Originally Posted by inphinity View Post
    Espresso*
    Espresso
    Coffee
    Espresso is coffee brewed by forcing a small amount of nearly boiling water under pressure through finely ground coffee beans. There is a debate over whether the spelling expresso is incorrect or an acceptable variant spelling. Wikipedia

Quote Originally Posted by micky View Post
    We have been thinking of buying a Breville Barista Express BES870 as recommended in Consumer?
    Or would it better to keep buying flat whites when we go out probably 3 times a week for the 2 of us, I drink a lot of tea at home but enjoy a coffee after our evening meal which is usually from a plunger hate instant coffee.
    So is it worth spending $700/800 or keep buying from cafe's ?

If you can get good results out of it, then yes it's definitely worth it. I worked out to make one at home is costing me about $1 - $1.20 with beans milk etc. I managed to "pay off" a $3000 coffee machine (A Rocket http://www.rocket-espresso.com/) in less than 2 years with 2 of us making 2 cups a day each - when a cafe is about $4 - $5 per cup.
    Interests: PVRs, HTPCs, Apple IOS, Apple TV, Media Players, C#, Printing

pcsourcepoint

Quote Originally Posted by bk T View Post
    Bought one about 2 years ago - it broke down after 2 months of use, sent it back and they replaced with a brand new one which lasted from just over a year, to be exact, 1 year + 3months, it started to give all sorts of problems, gave up and am now with instant coffee.
    Similar to what I experienced. Got to like Late's, Espresso's, etc, because had one at work. So got use to the fine coffees the company got for us. So got one for home, and a filtered element type. Playing up a little and as years went by, I could not taste much difference between the various types, and the fact spending time to select/try different blends. So back to instant coffee.

But if starting out might be worth a bit of trial/error to see if it suits - long term
    Computer Tech Links (My Tutorials & Reviews)| Free MP3 Software Reviews (My Reviews)|I Student NZ (My Student Resoucre Tips)