Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: PC BSOD'd on me

Exclamation PC BSOD'd on me

So i was just playing some arma 2, when all of a sudden my pc bluescreened on me

First off the specs of the rig.

Mobo: Asus Z97-A

CPU: i5 4690K @ 4.7GHz

PSU: Antec HCP 1000w Platnium

Ram: 2*4GB Adata 2400MHz DDR3

HDD 0: WD Black 1TB (OS installed on here)

HDD 1: WD Green 2TB

GPU: Asus Strix GTX 970 (not overclocked)

The WD Black was from my old rig, and had the Windows 7 installed on it, but i reinstalled the OS when i moved to the new Mobo/CPU.

So the WD Black is at least 2+ years old, and i have the Asus AI suite 3 to overclock the CPU to 4.7GHz, where it's been at that for nearly a year.

I rebooted and installed BlueScreenView, it came up with the error file called hal.dll

screenshot below

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Bluescreen info.JPG 
Views:	94 
Size:	91.5 KB 
ID:	6690

Thanks in advance
    Speed has never killed anyone, suddenly becoming stationary... That's what gets you.

JOIN THE FREE FORUMS!!!!!!

Default Re: PC BSOD'd on me

The OC may have something to do with it. And ASUS suite is a known cause of crashes

Upload the dmp files somewhere. Then post the link. I'll see what else is installed

ah ok.

Didnt know about the Asus suite being an issue, interesting.

uploaded the dmp file, link to it

http://www.filedropper.com/081615-19983-01
    Speed has never killed anyone, suddenly becoming stationary... That's what gets you.

Could be this. Read the post by NFHSMatrix

But most of the programs mobo manufacturers bring out are crap. And will crash windows

ASUS Suite, On/Off, MSI afterburner. The programs that let you charge faster

Looks like your Logitech Wingman can cause this 0x9c stop error. The files for it are also old / from 2010

See if theres an update for it

Quote Originally Posted by Speedy Gonzales View Post
    Could be this. Read the post by NFHSMatrix

But most of the programs mobo manufacturers bring out are crap. And will crash windows

ASUS Suite, On/Off, MSI afterburner. The programs that let you charge faster

Looks like your Logitech Wingman can cause this 0x9c stop error. The files for it are also old / from 2010

See if theres an update for it
    so the CPU might not be getting enough voltage/too much??

the 4.7GHz OC is at 1.273v i think according to AI Suite

Logitech Wingman??

I've got a logitech G27 and a Logitech G500s mouse,

I've got the Logitech Profiler, and some logitech software for the mouse

also, i'm fairly certain there's a BIOS update for my mobo, but i'm too chicken to do it unless absolutley necessary, which this might be

ASUS mobos are one of the eaiest mobos to update. Just get the BIOS update extract it. Put it on a flash drive. Go into the BIOS go to tools/ez flash, load it.

Wait for it to finish its updated

Honestly if you've had 1 bluescreen in a year I wouldn't put too much effort into figuring it out unless it happens again. Even a perfectly good machine with no issues can have the occasional crash. As for the overclocking software, although it seems like it's worked for you this long it'd be better to note down all the settings and apply them in BIOS.

And let's be real here, apart from bragging rights and the nice feeling of getting all that "free" performance is clocking your CPU at 4.7 GHz actually achieving anything? I have a Stock 3770 that clocks at 3.4 - 3.9 and when gaming I can monitor the usage generally at less than 50% (20-25% for WoW) and that's paired with a GTX 980.
    Point is, if you suspect the OC is an issue back it off a bit to 4.5 or less and you will never notice a difference. You probably wouldn't notice it even at stock unless you actually push the CPU to 100% occasionally.

I previously had an i5 2500K that I overclocked fairly mildly to 4.0 Ghz, one day I realised that a BIOS update I'd applied 3 months earlier had reset my overclock back to stock speeds and I'd been using the PC ever since without noticing. After that I decided there was no point which is why this build is not using a K series CPU. I understand the desire to overclock, I feel it myself, but unless you are actually needing more performance for something isn't it just stressing out your CPU for no reason?
    Ryzen 2700X, 16Gb DDR4RAM, 512GB M.2 NVME SSD, MSI GTX1070

Quote Originally Posted by Speedy Gonzales View Post
    ASUS mobos are one of the eaiest mobos to update. Just get the BIOS update extract it. Put it on a flash drive. Go into the BIOS go to tools/ez flash, load it.

Wait for it to finish its updated
    Just had a look,

I'm running BIOS version 1008, the latest is 2501

each update since 1008 says system stability, performance improvements

Quote Originally Posted by dugimodo View Post
    Honestly if you've had 1 bluescreen in a year I wouldn't put too much effort into figuring it out unless it happens again. Even a perfectly good machine with no issues can have the occasional crash. As for the overclocking software, although it seems like it's worked for you this long it'd be better to note down all the settings and apply them in BIOS.

And let's be real here, apart from bragging rights and the nice feeling of getting all that "free" performance is clocking your CPU at 4.7 GHz actually achieving anything? I have a Stock 3770 that clocks at 3.4 - 3.9 and when gaming I can monitor the usage generally at less than 50% (20-25% for WoW) and that's paired with a GTX 980.
    Point is, if you suspect the OC is an issue back it off a bit to 4.5 or less and you will never notice a difference. You probably wouldn't notice it even at stock unless you actually push the CPU to 100% occasionally.

I previously had an i5 2500K that I overclocked fairly mildly to 4.0 Ghz, one day I realised that a BIOS update I'd applied 3 months earlier had reset my overclock back to stock speeds and I'd been using the PC ever since without noticing. After that I decided there was no point which is why this build is not using a K series CPU. I understand the desire to overclock, I feel it myself, but unless you are actually needing more performance for something isn't it just stressing out your CPU for no reason?
    it has crashed once or twice but it's very infrequent tbh.

Truth be told, peeople have said it's better to do the O/C from the UEFI BIOS anyway, i just wanted an instant overclock, and got 4.7GHz on all 4 cores.

I might knock it down a couple hundred MHz